This is a Worldbuilders Blog.
This year, fabulous fantasy publisher Del Rey has joined Worldbuilders as a sponsor, sending us a slew of beautiful books.
Not only are these books lovely, but every single one of them is signed (or bookplated) by the authors themselves.
Because people seem to be responding well to the auctions we’ve posted up so far, we’re going to be doing putting a few of these books up for auction too. So if you look at any of these books and simply NEED to have it. Or if you see something that would make the perfect Christmas present, you can head right over to e-bay and bid on it.
Of course, you can also win the books by donating directly to Heifer International over on the Worldbuilder’s team page. Remember, for every $10 you donate over there, you have a chance to win these books and many, many more.
Ready? Here we go…
- A hardcover set of The Sword of Shannara Trilogy and The High Druid of Shannara Trilogy. Both signed by Terry Brooks.
These were some of the very first novels I read back when I was 11 or 12. They made a big impression on me, and I remember crying at one particularly dramatic point….
Also, I feel obliged to mention that each of these hefty hardcovers is a trilogy in itself. They’re tomes. You’ve got a really incredible amount of book here…
“If Harry Potter has given you a thirst for fantasy and you have not discovered the magic of Terry Brooks, you are in for a treat.” – Rocky Mountain News
8 hardcover copies of The Dark Legacy of Shannara: Wards of Faerie. Signed by Terry Brooks.
Did I mention that I did an interview with Terry Brooks? I did. Unsurprisingly, it ended up being almost 10,000 words long.
That’s not a joke. We ended up breaking it into four pieces. The first one is over here.
“[Brooks's] Shannara series is a grand example of the best of the best in the genre.” – The Washington Examiner
- Auction: A hardcover set of The Sword of Shannara Trilogy, The High Druid of Shannara Trilogy and Wards of Faerie: The Dark Legacy of Shannara. Signed by Terry Brooks.
If you want to see more pictures, or bid on these lovely books, the auction is over here.
- 8 sets of The Dreaming Void, The Temporal Void, and The Evolutionary Void. Signed by Peter F. Hamilton.
“A real spellbinder from a master storyteller… dozens of scenarios, a surprisingly well-delineated cast of thousands, plotting enough to delight the most Machiavellian of readers.” – Kirkus Reviews (starred review)
- 8 paperback sets of Blackout and All Clear. Signed by Connie Willis.
“[Willis’s] re-creation of wartime England is meticulous, energetic and exhaustive.”—The Wall Street Journal
- Auction: A paperback set of Blackout and All Clear. Signed by Connie Willis.
Auction is over here.
- A hardcover copy of A Dance with Dragons. Signed by George R.R. Martin.
And here’s a copy for auction too…
- Auction: A hardcover copy of A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5). Signed by George R.R. Martin.
That’s right Martin’s signature can be yours for the low-low price of whatever the other guy is willing to let it go for. Bidding happens over here.
- 8 paperback sets of The Warded Man and The Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett. Each with signed bookplate from the author.
I’m terribly fond of Peter V. Brett. Not only has he been a proud supporter of Worldbuilders right from the very beginning, but I really love his books.
If that weren’t enough, more recently, he masterminded something brilliant. When he learned that a bunch of authors attending ConFusion in Detroit were all gamers, he brought us all together and set up a game of AD&D.
And he taped it. You can see the results over here.
“[The Desert Spear] is sure to leave fans on tenterhooks waiting for the last installment.” – Publishers Weekly
- 8 sets of The Steel Remains and The Cold Commands. Signed by Richard K. Morgan.
“I hesitate to say, “if you like the works of x, y, or z, then give The Steel Remains a try,” because really it’s pretty much unlike anything else, and that’s why you should give it a try.” – Joe Abercrombie
- Auction: A paperback set of The Steel Remains and The Cold Commands. Signed by Richard K. Morgan.
If you’d like to bid on this set of signed books, click here.
- 8 first-edition omnibus copies of In His Majesty’s Service. Signed by Naomi Novik.
I met Naomi when years ago, back when I was newly published. She was really nice to me, even though I was a dewy-eyed newbie in the publishing world, and she was a Pretty Big Deal, having been published a whole year longer than me.
More recently, she agreed to be a guest on the fourth episode of StoryBoard, where we got together, talked about our gaming roots, and were pretty much huge geeks.
“A new writer is soaring on the wings of a dragon.” – The New York Times
- Auction: A first-edition omnibus of In His Majesty’s Service. Signed by Naomi Novik.
If you want more detailed pictures showing you how Naomi’s signature is way cooler than mine, or if you’d just like to bid on her book, the auction is right over here.
* * *
Remember, for every 10 dollars you donate on our Team Page, you get a chance to win these books and many, many more.
If you’d like to see all the auctions Worldbuilders is currently running, you can find them over here.
Or, if you want to see the other items that have been donated to Worldbuilders, or learn more about the fundraiser itself, you can head over to the main page here.