Our Story Thus Far…..

Over the last few weeks, a lot of people have e-mailed me, asking if a summary of The Name of the Wind somewhere that they can use to refresh themselves before starting The Wise Man’s Fear.

I had no such thing. Nor did I really have any desire to write one. Not only do those brief narrative summaries always bore me to death, but I suck at summarizing my own book. My best advice, of course, is that if you really can’t remember what happened in book one, you should probably re-read it. Most of what’s in there is pretty important to the story, y’know. I put it all in there for a reason…

Still, a lot of people were asking. So I got together with Nathan Taylor and we did…

Well, just have a look. You can see for yourself what we did:

There you go folks. Share and Enjoy.

This entry was posted in book two, comics, cool things, Nathan Taylor ArtBy Pat342 Responses

1. guessingo
    Posted March 5, 2011 at 10:21 PM | Permalink

Your book is sold out in the Barnes and Noble near my house in Northern Virginia. I have never seen that before with a new release.

Looks like your sales are even better than you had hoped.

2. kbuhlaw
    Posted March 5, 2011 at 10:22 PM | Permalink

Just gotta say, I just finished the WMF. I fell way behind on my school work, with a mid-term exam and a 30 page paper due Monday morning at 9:30AM. I think I got sick from all the staying up late turning pages, and now life’s pretty rough…that said, I want to say thanks for writing an awesome story!!! It was all worth it!!

3. norse_dog
    Posted March 5, 2011 at 10:27 PM | Permalink

Aaah. Just finished Book Two. When is book Three coming out? I have kept my next weekend free… seriously, are there by any chance local support groups ala
    “Rothfussian Anonymous”? I would also appreciate it if you could alay my fears and just commit to writing volumes 4 to 610 at this point.

4. viv
    Posted March 6, 2011 at 9:27 AM | Permalink

Just finished tWMF … am feeling lost …

Usually, the second novel in a series – long wait or not – isn’t quite up to the first.
    This time, however: what can I say! tWMF fits seamlessly onto the first one, no gaps, no awkwardness, just one great story, rolling along and needing to be savoured.

I am soo looking forward to the stories of the Third Day – but the waiting time will be made sweeter by now having two books which can be read again … and again …

Thanks, Patrick!

5. MLBurt
    Posted March 6, 2011 at 9:54 AM | Permalink

The only local bookchain that had Wise Man’s Fear waited until the 3rd to order them … so impatient right now….

6. jaimo
    Posted March 6, 2011 at 3:04 PM | Permalink

Does anyones “First Edition” copy say anything about being a first hardcover printing on the copyright page? Or does it have any kind of a numberline, such as 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10, or 1 3 5 7 9 2 4 6 8 10? Mine is strangely void of this information and I have been unable to find a copy that has it. A first edition will almost always have some sort of designation.

• thekeythecointhecandle
      Posted March 7, 2011 at 6:47 AM | Permalink

Mine is strangely empty of that information as well…

• Magnus
      Posted March 7, 2011 at 1:22 PM | Permalink

My copy is missing edition details too. I find this very strange, since all of my other books that I glanced at last night listed which printing they were from. I wonder if the omission is intentional, or if it’s some kind of mistake.

• DarthVarner
      Posted March 7, 2011 at 4:42 PM | Permalink

DAW books have a chronological number associated with them. This used to be printed on the binding of every DAW novel, but now is noted inside. My copy of tWMF says this is DAW Book Collectors No. 1540.

Since those numbers have always been chronological, it stands to reason that future printings should not carry the same number. I’m not certain that’s how this works, but it seems self-consistent at least. Perhaps someone that is more familiar with DAW than I can chime in?

• Shiny Shini
      Posted March 27, 2012 at 2:44 AM | Permalink

the first number of that line is the number of your copy -_-, and i’m dying with envy…
      i bought it the first day it was in stores in Belgium yet I still have a 4th print :(

and Pat, 600 dollars for a first print :(…. (signed, granted) but i dont have that kind of money :(

7. deltaflip
    Posted March 6, 2011 at 7:33 PM | Permalink

DOES KVOTHE EVER FIGURE OUT WHAT’S BEHIND THE 4 PLATED DOOR??????????

• Matt
      Posted March 7, 2011 at 1:23 AM | Permalink

Puppet’s toilet.

Or possibly Lorren’s S&M dungeon.

Or both!

8. paulaburatto
    Posted March 7, 2011 at 10:07 AM | Permalink

I’ve paid U$85 to have an autographed copy shipped to Brazil. IT’S GOING TO BE WORTH EVERY CENT!!!!!!!!!!! The sad thing is that I’ll have to wait from 6 to 7 weeks untill it gets in here :(

9. passingwind
    Posted March 7, 2011 at 12:09 PM | Permalink

So I pre-ordered a copy of Wise Man’s Fear from B&N. Received it and started reading the book. About 4 nights later the book slips and it opens to the title page. Surprise!!!!!!!! I received a signed copy! Not sure how that happened, but thanks Pat (and B&N). I now have two signed copies. One for my reading pleasure and one to keep on my shelf.

10. eli057
    Posted March 7, 2011 at 12:25 PM | Permalink

seriously , how the hell does one wait 2 years for the next installment..?

• Matt
      Posted March 7, 2011 at 1:01 PM | Permalink

Like eating an elephant. One bite at a time.

Why do you think it’ll only be two years for the next one?

• eli057
        Posted March 7, 2011 at 2:29 PM | Permalink

thats the estimate he gave in an interview – but yea could be much longer. I mean seriously , someone is going to have to come up with a satisfying ending sooner than 2 years. Has it ever happened that readers have come up with a legit ending of a trilogy on their own?

• glo7
          Posted March 7, 2011 at 10:24 PM | Permalink

where’d you find this interview? link please

• eli057
            Posted March 8, 2011 at 3:02 PM | Permalink

theres an interview on the amazon page where he estimates 2 years.

11. TimAZ
    Posted March 7, 2011 at 2:53 PM | Permalink

I just finished yesterday after reading the book slowly to savor every bit of it. Then I tried to go back to the mystery novel I was reading before WMF, but it was like sipping canned consomme after eating a rich, meaty stew that’s simmered for hours and hours.

Did anyone else reading the Kindle version notice the numerous spacing errors? I have a signed copy to console myself, but still… grrrr. (When I picked up the signed copy, the lady at the store told me that two people had gotten the books with the signatures of the girls who’d helped out Pat. She said they acted like they’d won the lottery. )

• RogueSock
      Posted March 7, 2011 at 5:46 PM | Permalink

Haha, that is awesome!

I went to the Old English Bookstore here in Utah and asked if we could look through them to try and find one with all of the signatures.

She called up another co-worker (he is a huge fan) and said he already looked in all of them. But none of them were.

Alas we did try, would have been fun.

12. tobrenwatson03
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 1:44 AM | Permalink

I’ve read The Name of the Wind at least three or four times, so this really wasn’t necessary in my case, but I decided to read it anyway for kicks…. Funniest. Thing. Ever.
    Truly hilarious, absolutely made my day. Students in the library where I happened to be reading this also had their share of entertainment, as I cackled rather manically at my computer screen.
    Thank you for this delightful little summary, I do hope you make another one for Wise Man’s Fear once the third book is released.

13. gwento
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 3:19 AM | Permalink

Well, after reading the first book five times, I swear I wet myself this afternoon when my husband handed me the next book. Good thing the dishes are mostly done. I’m not doing shit until it’s read. Kid? What kid? Work? What work?

Ahhh. Introduction to not being a jack ass. That class is for me!

14. Ursula
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 8:57 AM | Permalink

Can someone explain the summary of Book 1 to me from the above cartoons? I’ve read the book twice and I’m listening to the audio book right now, and try as I might, I don’t recollect any kind of tablet hidden in the Draccus lair (I don’t even remember a lair, I only remember a cave where the denner resin was made that the Draccus was trying to get into). I remember that Nina, a girl from Trebon, tells Kvothe about a vase that was dug up at the Mautharn farm. A vase with Chandrian symbols and pictures. So…what is this tablet mentioned above?

15. hmbang
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 4:10 PM | Permalink

Hallo. For some strange reason I believe Denna’s Patron is Bredon, and Bredon is of the Amyr. Consider that Bredon has a walking stick, and Denna’s Patron has supposedly beat her with it. Also, Denna alluded to her Patron running in the same circles as the Maer, as Bredon does. However, what really got me thinking was that Denna mentions her patron dances, and Bredon told Kvothe he dances. As to being an Amyr, I think Bredon is an exceptional person as evidenced by his ability to play Tak as a beautiful game. He also seeks long term gain as he told Kvothe. Also, what is it that Denna desires so much to learn from her Patron? I believe she seeks more than financial security. If her patron is Amyr there would be lots of secret things to gain. Could it be her and Kvothe seek the same thing? Were Denna’s family also destroyed by the Chandrian?

• Andrew
      Posted September 24, 2011 at 5:47 AM | Permalink

I’m convinced that the patron is Halifax, he’s too secretive to be wholesome. Also the Cthaeh doesn’t lie and I can’t see Bredon being abusive and cruel like that. Mostly though it’s because he was mentioned in book one before we met Bredon and I thought to myself “Given her track record Denna is going to choose the worst man possible. Who would that be?”
      It also explains why he’s getting her to set him as the hero of Lanre’s story where the Amyr would have a vested interest in making his villainy known

• abhollis
      Posted May 13, 2013 at 3:23 AM | Permalink

I also think that Bredon is Amyr and Denna’s patron. When Denna left Vint for a while and Kvothe couldn’t find her, Bredon had also left to visit family.

I also find it interesting that she returned and it was a small sliver moon. I wonder whether she was returning from Fae. Whether Bredon takes her there to teach her something.. her wild music perhaps.

16. Maddog2020
    Posted March 9, 2011 at 1:18 AM | Permalink

I bought the Wise Man’s Fear, but decided I should re-read The Name of the Wind before starting it. I just want to say that even after my third reading (admittedly this one was a couple of years after the last one) I still think this is absolutely one of the greatest books I’ve ever read. A true masterpiece. Thanks so much for writing this.

Now onto Wise Man’s Fear. I’m agog with anticipation.

17. Posted March 13, 2011 at 8:45 PM | Permalink

HA! If you need a recap, you slacked on the re-reads.

But the recap strip is an inspired bit, just enough ennui.

18. naynayurbs
    Posted March 15, 2011 at 11:44 AM | Permalink

This is why you are great! I was going to reread NOTW anyway but this has me that much more pumped to get back to it. Who else would be such a considerate author? No one, that’s who.

19. PerykPeryk
    Posted March 27, 2011 at 1:37 PM | Permalink

What a beautiful drawings! I
    t’s very good resumed
    Olé

20. chessman
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 2:43 PM | Permalink

I hate sounding like a fanboy but I really like this comic summary. It’s almost as classic as the book. And I like the book. Currently rereading it (something I’ve very rarely done) in preparation for reading the second book. BTW, thanks for having a digital edition!

21. SheilaD5
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 6:31 PM | Permalink

Okay, the fun is over, when can us Die Hard fans expect the third book???

22. chat

القسم الاسلامي

دردشة عراقية

شات عراقي
    جات عراقي

23. orthochick111
    Posted February 26, 2012 at 9:27 AM | Permalink

Great synopsis. But reading those books again is something I am looking forward to when Book 3 is published.

24. 24ash
    Posted July 10, 2012 at 1:02 PM | Permalink

Experiencing a full throttle amount of giddiness just about…now.

25. Trev
    Posted November 16, 2013 at 1:23 AM | Permalink

I’m reminded of all the things I loved about Name of the Wind. Gonna do the Right Thing and re-read it.