Favorite Quotes….

So the other day someone asked me what my favorite quote was from The Wise Man’s Fear. I stopped to think about it. And thought.

And thought.

It took me a long while to think of any quotes at all from the book. Which seems odd to me, as I’ve spent the better part of the last year revising it.

For some reason, this isn’t a problem with The Name of the Wind. I have to know a hundred little quotable bits from that book. I can probably do a dozen off the top of my head right now.

There’s  the classic ones:

“It was the patient, cut-flower sound of a man who is waiting to die.”

“You may have heard of me.”

Kvothe obviously has a bunch of good lines, as he’s not only the protagonist, but the narrator for most of the book as well:

“The day we fret about the future is the day we leave our childhood behind.”

“We are more than the parts that form us.”

“Metal rusts, music lasts forever.”

A few from Bast:

“We all become what we pretend to be.”

“You are not wise enough to fear me as I should be feared.”

“You do not know the first note of the music that moves me.”

A few from Elodin:

“Blue! Blue! Blue!”

“You lack the requisite spine and testicular fortitude to study under me.”

“Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts.”

And from some of the supporting characters:

“Yes I am, isn’t it wonderful?”

“All stories are true.”

“A poet is a musician who can’t sing.”

I could go on and on….

Despite this, I have a hard time thinking of The Wise Man’s Fear in terms of quotes. I think it might be because I’ve been focusing on it in terms of plot, character development, story arcs, etc etc. Not in terms of tidy little quotable soundbites.

Or maybe it’s just that The Wise Man’s Fear isn’t as quotable is The Name of the Wind.

So I’m curious, do y’all have some favorite quotes from The Wise Man’s Fear?

And since I’m asking, I wouldn’t mind knowing what some of your favorite quotes are from The Name of the Wind, too….

If so, would you mind posting them in the comments below?

Curiously yours,

P.S. Also, a little attribution wouldn’t hurt. By which I mean it would be nice if you mentioned which book your quote was from, and who exactly said it….

This entry was posted in book twoBy Pat518 Responses

1. Zombilina
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 3:34 PM | Permalink

After lurking for a year or so now I had to finally make an account to reply to this. Lanre and Lyra’s story that Skarpi tells in the first book. It was beautiful. Repeating “Her voice called for him to live again. But Lanre lay cold and dead.” sent a pang of sadness through me each time it was said. It chilled me to my bones.

2. MollyMae
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 3:35 PM | Permalink

“A moment in the mind is worth nine in the fire.” From Kilvin in NotW

3. Maria Caetano
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 3:35 PM | Permalink

Hello Pat,

not yet finished reading the WMF but I love it! It’s full of great passages that made ​​me cry with laughter and others extremely deep that left me pensive …
    These two belong to the first category:

“Good lord woman. If I had tits like yours I’d own half the world by now.
    You and me both, Sim said enthusiastically.” Devi and Sim

“If that’s one of his poems,” Devi said, “I’d suggest you burn it quickly and wash your hands.”

I have not found these in the comments above, but there are some hilarious stuff!:)
    As for NOTW, well, I’m from Portugal and read the translated version, i could try doing the conversion but probably would not sound as good as it was intended. You know, lost in translation! I bet I’ve lost great jokes and other exciting passages!

Please, dont stop marveling us!
    P.S.: sorry for my rusty english…

4. waynn
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 3:40 PM | Permalink

I also have the Kindle version, which has highlights for phrases that people particularly like (most, if not all, of which have been posted in the comments here). But one that wasn’t highlighted was this one:

“Ball and cup doesn’t make anyone happy,” Marten muttered. “That’s the worst toy ever. Nobody in their right mind enjoys ball and cup.”

5. chbailey
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 3:42 PM | Permalink

Some of my favorites from The Name of the Wind:

“All stories are true,” Skarpi said. “But this one really happened, if that’s what you mean.” He took another slow drink, then smiled again, his bright eyes dancing. “More or less. You have to be a bit of a liar to tell a story the right way.”

The three boys, one dark, one light, and one—for lack of a better word—fiery, do not notice the night. Perhaps some part of them does, but they are young, and drunk, and busy knowing deep in their hearts that they will never grow old or die.

Out of all the spirits, only wine is suited to reminiscence. He said a good wine allows clarity and focus, while still allowing a bit of comforting coloration of the memory.”

There is a sort of camaraderie that rarely exists except between men who have fought the same enemies and known the same women.

His eyes brightened. “But there’s a better way. You show her she is beautiful. You make mirrors of your eyes, prayers of your hands against her body. It is hard, very hard, but when she truly believes you…” Bast gestured excitedly. “Suddenly the story she tells herself in her own head changes. She transforms. She isn’t seen as beautiful. She is beautiful, seen.”

“You see, there’s a fundamental connection between seeming and being. Every Fae child knows this, but you mortals never seem to see. We understand how dangerous a mask can be. We all become what we pretend to be.”

From The Wise Man’s Fear:

After a moment’s consideration, I decided lounging was probably similar to relaxing, but with more money in your pocket.

“You would rather be close to her heart,” Wilem said without any particular inflection. “You would rather be joyfully held in the circle of her arms. But you fear she will reject you. You fear she would laugh and you would look the fool.” Wilem shrugged easily. “You are hardly the first to feel this way. There is no shame in it.”

“It’s not over if you’re still here,” Chronicler said. “It’s not a tragedy if you’re still alive.”

“You’re a . . .” She trailed off, still staring at me. Her voice was flat and emotionless. “You’re supposed to be dead.” “In this and many other things, I aim to disappoint,” I said.

6. Merithathor
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 3:42 PM | Permalink

I have many, but most of them are found when Kvothe speaks with Auri, Elodin and Puppet; I love wisdom masquerading as whimsy.

7. Adrianm
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 3:43 PM | Permalink

“I’ve been waiting a long time to show these flowers how pretty you are” – TWMF

8. chic4rock
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 3:46 PM | Permalink

Ditto npod42. The whole time he’s attempting to describe Denna in NOTW, as well as Kvothe describing the lute/Denna below… May sound strange, but I’ve never read anyone describe love so perfectly.

“We love what we love. Reason does not enter into it. In many ways, unwise love is the truest love. Anyone can love a thing because. That’s as easy as putting a penny in your pocket. But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.” -Kvothe, talking about his lute, the first time that he played at the Eolian in this book.

And just as lovely in WMF, “His butt fell off.”

9. Adrianm
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 3:47 PM | Permalink

“Introduction to not being a stupid jackass” TWMF name of Elodin’s class

““Bad enough to be a lettuce. How awful to think you are a lettuce too.” TWMF Auri to Kvothe

10. asheraven
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 3:48 PM | Permalink

Fav quote that made me laugh out loud:

“If you have a secret compartment in your lute case and don’t use it to hide things, there is something terribly, terribly wrong with you.”

11. kisajackson
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 3:49 PM | Permalink

“I’m nervous as a new whore.” – Kvothe – The Wise Man’s Fear.
    Golden^^ ehehe

12. 44
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 3:50 PM | Permalink

One of my favorite quotes from TNOTW is when Kvothe asks Denna, “Are you trying to seduce me away from my virtue by teaching me how to defend it?” He is quite a smooth talker.

13. kisajackson
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 3:51 PM | Permalink

Also, i can’t really remember it, but when Kvothe and Denna are walking through the Mear’s gardens, the one about things being easier to say in the dark because you can’t see oneanother or something..grr i wish i could remember it

14. Christer
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 3:51 PM | Permalink

Thought of one more -
    Kvothe in WMF
    “Marten, may I use your dead?”

15. DerErlkoenig
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 3:52 PM | Permalink

Vashet: “Ok, you should know about this as soon as possible. It will save us both trouble in the long run. You’re a whore.”

also

“You are one great gaudy, showboating bastard, you know that?”

Really, Vashet gets a lot of the best quotes, too many to list.

There were also some good one’s from the story’s “present day” such as:

Elias: “That, was a damn fine pie.”

“Don’t you cuss Elias, there’s no call for that.”

Elias: “Oh, honey, don’t get yourself in a twit. Damfine is a kind of apple, innit? Sort of foreign apple from off in Atur. They named it after Baron Damfine, if I remember correct.”

Kote: “I got these from the Bentons”

Elias: “Oh, that’s my mistake then. I’d swear it was a Damfine pie for all that. Maybe the Bentons got themselves some Damfine apples and don’t know it.”

Finally:

“Maple. maypole.
    Catch and carry.
    Ash and ember.
    Elderberry.”

It just has a way of getting stuck in a person’s head.

16. taren
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 3:57 PM | Permalink

My favorite quote of WMF is a bit long, but it’s much too beautiful to shorten it, I think.

Think of music as being a great snarl of a city [...]. In the years I spent living there, I came to know its streets. Not just the main streets. Not just the alleys. I knew shortcuts and rooftops and parts of the sewers. Because of this, I could move through the city like a rabbit in a bramble. I was quick and cunning an clever.
    Denna, on the other hand, had never been trained. She knew nothing of shortcuts. You’d think she’d be forced to wander the city, lost and helpless, trapped in a twisting maze of mortared stone. But instead, she simply walked through the walls. She didn’t know any better. Nobody had ever told her she couldn’t. Because of this, she moved through the city like soma faerie creature. She walked roads no one else could see, and it made her music wild and strange and free.
    p. 465 / 466, WMF

As a musician I love every line you wrote about music and Kvothe’s songs – thank you for the truth in your words.
    A german fan (-;

• Widow Of Sirius
      Posted May 10, 2011 at 10:27 AM | Permalink

Ooooh, I forgot about that one – it’s amazing :D

17. lrb
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 3:58 PM | Permalink

this one is on my facebook page, ‘When someone tells you a piece of their life, they’re giving you a gift, not granting you your due.’ Wise Man’s Fear p 340

18. James66
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 4:01 PM | Permalink

I do not have a favorite quote. I look at both books as plots. I enjoyed the story telling of Kvothe when he went hunting for the bandits. The story of the Old Man and the Edumah Rah. I love the fact that there are stories in a story. But I loved this story best because it reminds me of how humanity has fallen and I wonder if society as a whole can once again trust in people enough to welcome them so warmly. Thanks Pat, really opens the eyes.

19. Darkwolf
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 4:08 PM | Permalink

For some reason, in NoTW I always remember the one about the donkeys… which I had to look up to get the exact quote but still remembered the gist of it

“They took it as calmly as ever, in spite of the fact that he accused them of things I’m sure no donkey has ever willingly done, especially not Beta, who possessed impeccable moral character.”

20. HighFlyingSparky
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 4:08 PM | Permalink

NOTW –
    pg. 83, Arliden: “Words have to find a man’s mind before they can touch his heart, and some men’s minds are woeful small targets. Music touches their hearts directly no matter how small or stubborn the mind of the man who listens.”

pg. 135 — The discourse on the mind’s four doors of coping w/ pain is brilliant. Much to ponder, there is.

pg. 273, Hemme: “Ria, is that short for Rian?”
    “Yes, it is,” she smiled.
    “Rian, would you please cross your legs?”
    The request was made with such an earnest tone that not even a titter escaped the class. Looking puzzled, Rian crossed her legs.
    “Now that the gates of hell are closed,” Hemme said in his normal, rougher tones. “We can begin.”

I laughed, wondering what I would have done if an engineering prof had done this to me before a lecture during college. Would have loved to have Rian’s response to this somehow.

WMF –
    pg. 55, re: Kellin “When he spoke, women at the surrounding tables turned to look in the direction with hungry, half-lidded eyes. His voice had the opposite effect on me. To be both rich and handsome was bad enough. But to have a voice like honey over warm bread on top of that was simply inexcusable. The sound of it made me feel like a cat grabbed by the tail and rubbed backward with a wet hand.”

Many other lines I could add, but these hadn’t been mentioned yet.

21. Zauri
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 4:12 PM | Permalink

“There exists between them something tenuous and delicate. They can both feel it. Like static in the air. Faint as frost. [...] There are three paths here. [...] First. Our young lovers can try to express what they feel. They can try to play the half-heard song their hearts are singing. [...] This is the path of the honest fool, and it will go badly. This thing between you is too tremulous for talk. It is a spark so faint that even the most careful breath might snuff it out.”
    (TWMF, Chapter 30, p. 231)

“I wanted to tell her all that really mattered to me was that she came back, but I was worried that might be too much truth. [...] This was the difference between me and the others. I did not clutch at her, try to own her. [...] I thought of all the others who hat tried to tie her down to the ground and failed. So I resisted showing her songs and poems I had written, knowing that too much truth can ruin a thing.
    And if that meant she wasn’t entirely mine, what of it? I would be the one she could always return to without fear of recrimination or question. So I did not try to win her and contented myself with playing a beautiful game.
    But there was always a part of me that hoped for more, and so there was a part of me that was always a fool.”

(TWMF, somewhere)

22. Posted May 9, 2011 at 4:14 PM | Permalink

Best: “he looked at me as if I’d just wiped my ass with a piece of bread and ate it” hahahaha, had to stop reading for several minutes! xDDDD

• plut8
      Posted May 12, 2011 at 7:40 PM | Permalink

Yes! I love that line! Better than the cheese rind line in my opinion.

23. datalaughing
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 4:14 PM | Permalink

My favorite quote isn’t like a fun or thoughtful quotable thing, but after reading WMF once, it stuck in my head. I just couldn’t NOT remember it:

“On his first hand he wore rings of stone, iron, amber, wood and bone.” … “There were rings unseen on his second hand. One was blood in a flowing band. One of air all whisper thin, and the ring of ice had a flaw within. Full faintly shone the ring of flame, and the final ring was without name.” – Aaron and Kvothe

• James66
      Posted May 10, 2011 at 6:04 AM | Permalink

I cannot wait to learn about those rings. Pat does a wonderful job of foreshadowing and keeping me on the edge of my seat.

• pblaze
        Posted May 11, 2011 at 4:29 PM | Permalink

Well we know about wood and bone all ready.

• James66
          Posted May 16, 2011 at 2:47 PM | Permalink

Yes, but I just meant all the rings. I really want to know the one without a name.

• pink_nessie
            Posted May 20, 2011 at 11:21 PM | Permalink

Not only does he know the names of all things…he knows the name of the non-name…to contemplate over and over again the sheer vast emptiness?

LoL. Either way…re reading that quotation gives me the chills. I can’t wait either!

24. iburnbrass
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 4:26 PM | Permalink

My favorite quotes from book one are the ones that rhyme: like one about a tinkers debts (always paid, once for any simple trade); and almost any from Kvothe’s father! (Two sure ways to lose a friend, the first to borrow, the other to lend.).
    From tWMF, I like when our hero notes the porter’s smile (like a knife in certain settings), or Elodin, “Tombs is for feckless tits who can’t chew their own food. My boy’s a Re’lar, he had the feck of twenty men!”, or I LMAO anytime I think of the line, “if you mix it with piss, it turns into candy. Delicious candy.”

25. iburnbrass
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 4:27 PM | Permalink

NotW was more quotable, though, in my opinion.

26. grayman19
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 4:29 PM | Permalink

“We all become what we pretend to be.” From Bast

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.” From Aristotle

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”—Kurt Vonnegut

The opening and closing three part silence chapters from each of the novels are just beautiful. Wonderful to read, and they set up a feeling of both sadness for what has been lost, and foreboding for what is to come at the same time.

Other than those, my favorites have already been mentioned. One by Jack Lancaster above (Kvothe quoting Tarsus), “This was the face of a man who has killed an angel”, “Only a fool worries over what he can’t control.”, and the greatest of them all:

“That is how heavy a secret can become. It can make blood flow easier than ink.”

Words to live by. Secrets kept from your lover, your family, your friends will bring you nothing but pain. I’ve learned this the hard way, but never have seen it expressed so beautifully.

27. ksenour
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 4:30 PM | Permalink

You were awesome enough to sign both books with my favorite quotes; so I don’t even have to try hard to find them. WEWT.

“Using words to talk of words is like using a pencil to draw a picture of itself, on itself. impossible.”-Elodin, Name of the Wind

“It is the questions we can’t answer that teach us the most. they teach us how to think.” – Kvothe, Wise Man’s Fear

28. Antho
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 4:31 PM | Permalink

My favorites from The Wise Man’s Fear are

#1 when kvothe is speaking to Hemme:
    “I didn’t set fire to your rooms, but I wish I had. And I wish you’d been in there when it started, sleeping soundly.”

#2. “I am trying to wake your sleeping mind to the subtle language the world is whispering. I am trying to seduce you into understanding. I am trying to teach you. Quit grabbing at my tits.”

29. skinner
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 4:40 PM | Permalink

Great! now I have the itch to reread WMF, and since there is no way in hell I can read WMF without reading NOTW first, this post just put a bullet in my free time for the next few weeks. ;)

Anyway, I’m at work, but I’ll do my best to get it close. I had Pat write this one in my NOTW when he signed it, because it just strikes home:
    “Bones mend, regret stays with you forever”

As for WMF, I’ve only read it once to this point (shame on me, I know), but I LOVED:
    “Quit grabbing at my tits”

30. Zosma
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 4:42 PM | Permalink

There are so many amazing quotes in both books, especially when Kvothe is talking about music, that I could spend all day hunting them down and typing them out. But the one passage that touched me most profoundly is at the very end of NotW, when Bast is talking to Chronicler, and which concludes with, “. . . She isn’t seen as beautiful. She is beautiful, seen.” It may not be the most quotable passage from either book, but it is so fundamentally true that it leaves me breathless.

31. Posted May 9, 2011 at 4:46 PM | Permalink

The Name of the Wind pg. 387, 4th paragraph:

“I could steal from a hundred stories and tell you a lie so familiar you would swallow it whole”.

Kvothe describing his 2nd meeting with Denna. Sometimes ordinary words and jargon are inadequate to describe a moment.

32. The Universe is Laughing
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 4:50 PM | Permalink

I’m late to the party.

Wise Man’s Fear, omniscient narrator, about Bast:

“‘Entertain me!’ he said with a wide, made smile. And even from where the others stood near the bar, they could see the blood on his teeth” (899).

Also Wise Man’s Fear, Kvothe telling a story about a boy with a golden screw in his bellybutton:

“Then he turned it the third time, and the boy’s ass fell off” (555).

• The Universe is Laughing
      Posted May 9, 2011 at 4:51 PM | Permalink

DAMN. *mad smile.

Evidently I will never outgrow typos.

33. Ary Mailhos
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 4:52 PM | Permalink

My favourite quote is said by Kvothe in TWMF:

“No man is brave that has never walked a hundred miles. If you want to know the truth of who you are, walk until not a person knows your name. Travel is the great leveler , the great teacher, bitter as medicine, crueler than mirror-glass. A long stretch of road will teach you more about yourself than a hundred years of quiet introspection.”

34. semiautomage
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 4:58 PM | Permalink

After Kvothe wins his talent pipes in The Name of the Wind :

“The victory tankard turned out to be the same as the consolation one.”

In my experience this has been true about many of life’s successes and failures.

35. dchatham
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 5:00 PM | Permalink

WMF – Elodin listening to Kvothe’s story of calling the wind in chapter 144.

“You chased it off the edge of the map!” amazed respect.

It just resonates with me.

36. PlushMonkey
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 5:10 PM | Permalink

From NOTW, page 97:

“The wild women in his lap,” my father enthused, “laying their breasts on his head.”
    There was a moment of stunned silence. Then my mother spoke slowly, with an edge to her voice. “I think you mean ‘wild beasts laying their heads in his lap.’”
    “Do I?”

37. rookedwithElodin
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 5:11 PM | Permalink

This is from memory so I think that it’ll be a little bit off…

“On his first hand there were rings of stone,
    Iron, amber, wood, and bone.
    There were rings unseen on his second hand,
    One of blood in a flowing band,
    One of air all whisper thin,
    And the ring of ice had a flaw within.
    Full faintly shone the ring of flame,
    And the final ring was without a name.”

I was a little surprised that this wasn’t brought up already.

• James66
      Posted May 10, 2011 at 6:08 AM | Permalink

Well, don’t you get the rings when you learn the name of something? So I was wondering if maybe that’s why there hasn’t been anything yet. Kvothe still has awhile to grow. I am so excited to learn about them.

• rookedwithElodin
        Posted May 10, 2011 at 9:25 PM | Permalink

I’ve noticed that it seems like a lot has to happen in the third book, and we know that at the end of the second Kvothe is approx 18, but how old is he in the outer story?

• Barentanz
          Posted May 10, 2011 at 11:17 PM | Permalink

I love your username. Fantastic.

• Barentanz
            Posted May 10, 2011 at 11:18 PM | Permalink

Also, we know Kvothe is under 30 and enough to appear so despite looking old. So maybe 25? Give or take? Yes, Pat, you’ve got a lot to cover in Book 3.

• rookedwithElodin
            Posted May 16, 2011 at 4:26 PM | Permalink

why thank you

• rookedwithElodin
      Posted May 16, 2011 at 4:25 PM | Permalink

Okay, so I found the actual poem

On his first hand he wore rings of stone,
      Iron, amber, wood, and bone.
      There were rings unseen on his second hand,
      One was blood in a flowing bad,
      One of air all whisper thin,
      And the ring of ice had a flaw within,
      Full faintly shone the ring of flame,
      And the final ring was without a name.

38. Posted May 9, 2011 at 5:24 PM | Permalink

“Did you set fire to my rooms you little ravel bastard?” – Master Hemme to Kvothe in “The Wise Man’s Fear.

39. Kiarrens
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 5:29 PM | Permalink

“I know my cue when I hear it.”

The Wise Man’s Fear, pg. 695

This made me throw my head back and laugh.

40. Vinny K
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 5:56 PM | Permalink

You wrote the Elodin quote “Blue! Blue! Blue!” in my book when you did the signing in Legacy Village. And it just so happens that my favorite quote from The Wise Man’s Fear is also one of Elodin’s in response to Uresh’s interesting fact about numbers. Chapter 15, page 132, “Uresh. Your next assignment is to have sex. If you do not know how to do this, see me after class.” I laughed so damn hard when I read that! Honestly, Elodin is the shit. I plan on requesting an Elodin quote from TWMF to be written in my copy the next time you do a signing in my area.
    May fortune smile upon you

~Vinny~

41. kittyross
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 6:05 PM | Permalink

From NOTW ” ‘Tuan volgen oketh ama.’ I said, using one of my favourite Siaru idioms. It meant ‘don’t let it make you crazy’ but it translated literally as: ‘don’t put a spoon in your eye over it’.”

And I haven’t got one from WMF. So I guess I’ll just have to re-read it. What a shame ;)

42. Lost Child
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 6:07 PM | Permalink

‎”It’s just ointment in case you get burned,” he explained. “But if you mix it with piss, it turns into candy.” Sim’s expression was deadpan. “Delicious candy.”
    -Patrick Rothfuss “The Wise Man’s Fear”

I don’t remember the last time I giggled so long.

43. aguestbiv
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 6:23 PM | Permalink

A great quote from the book is scene in Elodins class where Uresh does his monologue about infinity good times :D

44. Connor Mcleod
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 6:34 PM | Permalink

Would have to be Elodin after Kvothe stepped off the roof.

Congratulations…………That was the stupidest thing I’ve ever seen……ever

• christie
      Posted May 10, 2011 at 11:42 PM | Permalink

That is a great scene and I liked the spoon reference that followed:

NoTW p 315

“Elodin made it clear that anyone stupid enough to jump off a roof was too reckless to be allowed to hold a spoon in his presence, let alone study something as “profound and volitile” as naming.”

45. Kitty
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 6:42 PM | Permalink

“Ambrose, your presence is the horseshit frosting on the horseshit cake that is the admissions interview process.” – Kvothe, before he realizes he’s been drugged with the plumbob.

46. PostaKiwi
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 6:53 PM | Permalink

Maybe is weird but I love this from Stapes:
    “It’s like they were giving up their little souls to make you well again” I simply find it beautiful.

Book: The Wise Man’s Fear
    p.438

47. cynopraxis
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 6:56 PM | Permalink

I was reading in my car at lunch and actually laughed out loud at this one from The Wise Man’s Fear (pg 132):

“Wow.” Elodin said after a long pause. He leveled a serious finger at the Lenatti man, “Uresh. Your next assignment is to have sex. If you do not know how to do this, see me after class.”

I actually really liked the quote about infinity that precedes this quote as well, but this was the money quote for me.

48. Rachel
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 6:58 PM | Permalink

Shortly after chapter 94 begins Kvothe has an exchange with Dedan and sums it up with the following:
    “He said he’d seen a mosquito bigger than his thumb with a sucker like a woman’s hairpin. I suggested it might have been a sipquick. He suggested several unpleasant, unsanitary things I could do to myself at my earliest convenience.”

I also love the quotes previously mention by other readers from Elodin where he tells his student to go have sex, and where he tells Kvothe to quit grabbing his tits.

49. darkjudicator
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 7:00 PM | Permalink

Like a few other people, I’ve been reading your blog for years (!) but had to create an account to chime in on this thread.

A few from NOTW:

Abenthy, who starts badass and finishes absurdly:
    ‘Begone!’ the old man shouted angrily. ‘Trouble me no longer! I will set fire to your blood and fill you with a fear like ice and iron!’

‘I’ll turn you into butter on a summer day. I’ll turn you into a poet with the soul of a priest. I’ll fill you with lemon custard and push you out a window.’

I also love almost all the interplay between Kvothe’s parents. They’re so sweet.
    ‘It’s all a race, and when the race is done, I think I pity women chaste who run.’

‘How about it, woman? Did you happen to bed down with some wandering God a dozen years ago? That might solve our little mystery.’ She swatted at him playfully, and a thoughtful look crossed her face.
    ‘Come to think of it, there was a night, about a dozen years ago, a man came to me. He bound me with kisses and cords of chorded song. He robbed me of my virtue and stole me away.’ She paused, ‘But he didn’t have red hair. Couldn’t be him.’

And one from Kilvin, about Kvothe, during his first Admissions:
    ‘If one student in ten had half his fire I’d teach with a whip and chair instead of chalk and slate.’

• llyrdancingonwaves
      Posted May 10, 2011 at 9:03 PM | Permalink

Yes! “I’ll fill you with lemon custard and push you out a window.” is my favorite line in NotW. It is so ridiculous that it is perfect.

50. Constance
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 7:02 PM | Permalink

I happen to love ‘Delicious Candy.’ I say it with great deliberation and nobody else gets it… (WMF)

Also I happen to adore ‘I want my Reshi back.’ It just breaks my heart. (NotW)

And when I feel irrationally emotional due to being female or from work, I tell myself it’s a Plum Bob and I try to get over it.

51. TheAman
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 7:19 PM | Permalink

“Books are a poor substitute for female companionship, but they are easier to find.” -Kvothe

52. jasperflint
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 7:42 PM | Permalink

From WMF

“Greytail is gentle as a lamb”
    “Just because Ell is witless as a sheep” Krin said archly, ” doesn’t make them a good pairing” – p872

“I’d heard you were dead”
    I heard you wear a red lace corset,” I said matter of factly “But I don’t believe every bit of nonsense that gets rumoured about” – p934

“And there it was. Like the names of an old friend that had simple slipped my mind for a moment. I looked out among the branches and I saw the wind. I spoke the long name of it gently, and the wind grew gentle. I breathed it out as a whisper, and for the first time since I had come to Haert the wind went quiet and still.” -p808

” out of curiosity,” Kvothe asked. ” What would you do if something knocked back?” – p476

I seem to be one of the few people who love the felurian scene

“On rare occasions his voice would fill the air as if the world itself were listening” p635

“Her skills in love they do suffice
    In close embrace men find her nice” p646

Makes me laugh every time

Also

“Please I’m not a complete rube. I’ve read several books-” 647

“you are a long walker. you find me in the wild at night. you are a deep knower. and bold. and young. and trouble finds you.” …” would my sweet like a shaed?”
    “another i would give a shield, and it would keep him safefrom harm. another i would gift with amber bind a scabbard tight with a glamour, or craft a crown so men might look on you with love” … “but not for you. you are a night walker a moon follower. you must be safe from iron, from cold, from spite. you must be quiet you must be light. you must move softly in the night. you must be quick and unafraid.” She nodded to herself. ” this means i must make you a shaed.” – p657

Infact all the rhyming in chapter 102. read it aloud. it makes it so much better.

sooo many more but I must sleep.

I think that the main problem is that in this books the funniest things are paragraphs not one liners. Nearly all of the funny bits have fairly elaborate set ups. (allthough “and then his ass fell off” does go against this)

53. mrdmdoza
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 7:48 PM | Permalink

“Tehlu’s tits and teeth”

54. RforRangerDforDanger
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 8:14 PM | Permalink

Really just the last line of this, but you need to read the lines above it to fully appreciate the rhythm and musicality of the language. It hammers at you. It’s poetry.

“Some might take offense at this way of seeing things, not understanding how a trouper views his music. They might think I degrade women. They might consider me callous, or boorish, or crude.
    “But those people do not understand love, or music, or me.”

btw, pat, no danger of that happening. This is almost a feminist text, and the female characters are unyielding. I can tell you put a lot into them.

I also love when Sim calls (Eld Vintic?) poetry “thunderous.”

55. lys
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 8:15 PM | Permalink

Oh! A specific Elodin one from WMF:

“What makes you think I’m not teaching you?” he asked, puzzled. “Aside from the fact that you refuse to learn.”

56. Kim
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 8:23 PM | Permalink

Hespe’s story about Jax is definitely a favorite. And many of the quotes already mentioned. However, I especially love Kvothe and Felurian’s back-and-forth when Felurian is explaining to him how the moon moves. Such a wonderful rhythm and rhyme.

57. anneliwilliams
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 8:23 PM | Permalink

A thousand seems like a lot, but there are more stars than that in the sky, and they make neither a map nor a mural. -WMF (654)

58. TWeir
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 8:30 PM | Permalink

One of my favourite quotes from NOTW is from Chapter 18 where Kvothe is talking about the minds ability to cope with pain.

“Classic thinking teaches us of the four doors of the mind, which everyone moves through according to their need. First is the door of sleep. (…) Second is the door of forgetting. (…) Third is the door of madness. (…) Last is the door of death. The final resort. Nothing can hurt us after we are dead, or so we have been told.”

From WMF most of my favourite quotes have already been posted, but one that hasn’t been (or I’ve just missed) is Bast’s choice rhyme,

“Maple. Maypole

Bide and borrow.
    Chimney smoke.

Barrel. Barley.
    Stone and stave.
    Wind and water.
    Misbehave.”

I also love the seven word sentences that pop up whenever Kvothe is talking with Denna, as well as the spontaneous bout of rhyming between Kvothe and Felurian in Chapter 102.

59. bookmage
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 8:36 PM | Permalink

Well, a lot of the other great quotes have been mentioned already, but here are a couple of my personal favorites:

“I made Re’lar before they threw me out, you little slipstick. I earned it. My Alar is like the ocean in storm” (pg. 215).

Devi is definitely one of my favorite characters, and I’m just dying to know what she did to get kicked out of the university. Oh, what I would give to watch her take Hemme down a peg or two…

And, form Kvothe: “I simply gave her my most charming smile. I’d already told her the truth of things: I was no gentleman. I was a thief” (pg 160).

60. Ryan
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 8:49 PM | Permalink

“Each woman is like an instrument, waiting to be learned, loved, and finely played, to at last have her own true music made. Some might take offense at this way of seeing things, not understanding how a trouper views his music. They might think I degrade women. They might consider me callous, or boorish, or crude. But those people do not understand love, or music, or me.”
    Kvothe “Wise Man’s Fear” pg 701

61. burdkilla
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 8:50 PM | Permalink

WMF, Chapter 123 ends with Kvothe speaking the name of the wind and willing it to cease. The sword tree stops moving, and he calmly walks towards Shehyn and as he does, he lifts his hand and lets a leaf from the tree slice his palm open. Then he reaches Shehyn, and makes the Adem hand gesture for “willing.” Shehyn nods, Kovthe relaxes and only then does the wind return.

when i first read that part. i instantly imagined it in a cinematic respect, and just thought it would be quite amazingly tense and thrilling with a great soundtrack behind it.

sooo, after reading such a breath holding scene, i couldn’t help but crack up with the opening to Ch. 124 with Vashet saying, “You are one great gaudy showboating bastard, you know that?”

• Angelbaka
      Posted May 10, 2011 at 2:51 PM | Permalink

Gods, if they can get a director worth half a damn who knows anything at all about making an epic fantasy movie, the movies for The Kingkiller Chronicles will absolutely RAPE box office. I will be very disappointed if they don’t do at least as well as Lord of the Rings.

• Angelbaka
        Posted May 10, 2011 at 2:52 PM | Permalink

if they can’t get Joss Whedon, maybe Peter Jackson?

62. Zeo077
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 9:09 PM | Permalink

Wise Man’s Fear, Chapter 149 Tangled, Kvothe turns the tables on Elodin:

“He looked at me from the corner of his eye, giving me a sly smile. ‘How long do you think it will be before you can make yourself a ring of air?’
    I lifted up my naked left hand, fingers spread. ‘Who’s to say I’m not already wearing it?’
    Elodin rocked with laughter, then stopped when my expression didn’t change. His brow furrowed a bit as he gave me a speculative look, eyes flickering first to my hand, then back to my face. ‘Are you joking?’ he asked.
    ‘That’s a good question,’ I said, looking him calmly in the eye. ‘Am I?’”

63. cjkoger
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 9:18 PM | Permalink

NOTW hardcover pg 361

[Stanchion] “Dammit boy, I hope you’re as good as you seem to think you are. I could use someone else around here with Illien’s fire…”
    [Kvothe]“I hope this place is as good as everyone seems to think it is,” I said earnestly. “I need a place to burn.”

As a long time musician and human being in general, this still resonates with me every time I read it. Especially in relating to the long journey Kvothe has taken to get to this point. You actually signed “we all need a place to burn” in my copy at the Austin, TX signing – which was awesome.

Also, all of the interactions with Auri are fantastic. I was so surprised when you mentioned at the signing she wasn’t originally part of the story, and I am so glad you wrote her in.

• James66
      Posted May 10, 2011 at 6:18 AM | Permalink

speaking of Auri, I am interested in her, wish we could learn more about her. I did not know she wasn’t an original part of the story, does that mean we may not get more information on her?

• Oatmeal
        Posted May 10, 2011 at 6:53 AM | Permalink

• Angelbaka
          Posted May 10, 2011 at 2:54 PM | Permalink

I thought Auri was, and Devi wasn’t. Maybe my memory is bad… Or maybe it’s both. Meh.

• cjkoger
            Posted May 10, 2011 at 10:42 PM | Permalink

Hmm – and now I doubt. Maybe it was both…

Pat?

• christie
            Posted May 10, 2011 at 11:30 PM | Permalink

I believe Auri and Devi were not in the original story but added in revisions. I will therefore patiently wait for book 3 knowing good things come from revisions.

• Oatmeal
        Posted May 10, 2011 at 6:54 AM | Permalink

I’m sure she will. Even though she wasn’t part of the original story, but I think she’s pretty darn important. :o)

64. Jonathan
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 9:29 PM | Permalink

Both from Wise Man’s Fear, from flipping to random pages.
    I’m going to go with one of the more depressing quotes:
    pg 682: “Good thing she’s used to it by now, isn’t it? Otherwise you might have hurt her. Otherwise you might have broken that poor girl’s heart.”

And for some humor:
    pg 332: “Reshi no!” Bast shouted in alarm, sitting bolt upright in his chair. His expression was plaintive as he pointed to the bar. “Beets?”

65. CDerico
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 9:35 PM | Permalink

This scene had both my wife and I uncontrollably laughing. I had the audiobook at work and had to walk out of the room to stop till I could control my laughing…

“Think about Friction,” Sim chimed in. “When you rub something it gets hot.” He demonstrated by running his hand back and forth vigorously across the fabric of his pants. “Like this.”
    He continued rubbing his thigh enthusiastically, unaware of the fact that since it was happening below the level of the table, it looked more than slightly obscene. “It’s all just energy. If you keep doing it, you’ll feel it get hot.”

If I had to choose one from NotW it would have to be the line, “I’m thinking twice about it right now.”

66. pattigw
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 9:50 PM | Permalink

Frowning, Chronicler opened his mouth, but Bast held up a hand to stop him. “No, listen. I’ve got it now. You meet a girl: shy, unassuming. If you tell her she’s beautiful, she’ll think you’re sweet, but she won’t believe you. She knows that beauty lies in your beholding.” Bast gave a grudging shrug. “And sometimes that’s enough.”

His eyes brightened. “But, there’s a better way. You show her she is beautiful. You make mirrors of your eyes, prayers of your hands against her body. It is hard, very hard, but when she truly believes you…” Bast gestured excitedly. “Suddenly the story she tells herself in her own head changes. She transforms. She isn’t seen as beautiful. She is beautiful, seen.”

67. Mat Hg
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 9:50 PM | Permalink

I find interesting that almost every quote posted thus far is either “funny”, or somehow “philosophical”. Not complaining, mind you. Almost every quote I could think of has already been posted and they are incredible.

However, there where two chapters from WMF that just made me sad, one of them even more than that. (and I’m not even speaking about the brief interlude in NOTW just after he tells how his family was murdered, where he acts all “that was a long time ago”, then goes outside and cries).

This is just to add something different, because the quote is a bit long and really plot-oriented which makes it not really “quotable” out of context. However, since most people here have already read the book (and if not, they probably shouldn’t been reading this messeages anyway -they should be reading the book!-), I’ll take this small liberty.

It’s from Chapter 104, “The Chtaeh” (p. 681):

“Speaking of desires, what would your Denna think? My my. Imagine her, seeing you here. You and the piksie al tangled up, at it like rabbits. He beats her, you know. Her patron. Not all the time, but often. Sometimes in a temper, but mostly it’s a game to him. How far can he go before she cries? How far can he push before she tries to leave and he has to lure her back again? It’s nothing grotesque, mind you. No burns. Nothing that will leave a scar. Not yet.
    “Two days ago he used his walking stick. That was new. Welts the size of your thumb under her clothes. Bruises down to the bone. She’s trembling on the floor with blood in her mouth and you know what she thinks before the black? You. She thinks of you. You thought of her too, I’m guessing. In between the swimming and strawberries and the rest.”

It’s probably not too hard to make someone feel gloomy if you are telling how a girl has been beaten up. But even so, I cannot begin to explain how distressed this made me feel. The mental image of Denna, a character I (and many of us) have grown to love, like this.. I had the weird feeling of not wanting to continue reading, and at the same time not being able to stop, hopping everything would just fix in the next page. And I had to live with that almost ’till the end of the book :(.

“He beats her, you know..” I still find it painful to read.

(on a side note, I think I’ll never be able to thank Pat enough for writing something that moved me in such a way. Because for every low (on my mood), there where parts that made me SO SO MUCH HAPPY. I’ve recently heard him say in an interview [the one on YT made by Peter Orullian] that he wanted his readers to feel the world was a better place after they where done with his books. Well Pat, mission acomplished, and a huge THANK YOU for that)

Forgive me the offtopic, but this was my first comment here. I promise to be more focused next time :)

• alexhawk
      Posted May 10, 2011 at 1:06 AM | Permalink

Brilliant and totally agree. Please don’t be more focussed next time, I enjoyed this too much.

• lendondain
      Posted May 10, 2011 at 1:44 AM | Permalink

You know, it’s obvious from Pat’s interviews, video clips, and blog posts that he’s a pretty cool guy. Funny. Caring. Generous. Strong in the Force is he. In short, if I had met him over a few beers before he was famous, and we became friends, I would have been honored. If you asked me after I read the first book whether I would prefer to 1) be friends with Patrick Rothfuss with the provision that he never write any books or 2) never meet Patrick Rothfuss but rest easy in the knowledge that his words are available for everyone to enjoy, I would have easily told you that I preferred the latter option.

When considering the same devil’s choice after reading the second book, I am thinking intensely about all the starving people that Heifer International has fed with Pat’s help .

• Little My
      Posted May 10, 2011 at 8:02 PM | Permalink

There are those who have conjectured that Denna is perhaps training with her patron, and the Cthaeh is just spinning it to look like she’s being abused. It may not be true but it makes me feel better to have that possibility in mind. And it could work, given how the Cthaeh phrases things.

68. leoniestar
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 9:54 PM | Permalink

“It felt exactly like someone had hit me in the head with a church.”
    - Kvothe, The Name of the Wind, p589

69. Bobson
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 9:57 PM | Permalink

I just love Hemme’s insult to Elodin and Kvothe in the hallway: “Might I recommend a book for your perusal? It is a lovely piece of reading titled, Hallways, Their Form and Function: A Primer for the Mentally Deficient.

It may not be the most meaningful quote in the book, but it’s the best insult I’ve come across in ages!

70. Airborne1996
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 10:10 PM | Permalink

WMF pg. 36
    But if I performed poorly in my admissions exam and received a tuition of twenty talents, I’d be just as good as expelled. So it was a horse apiece, really.

I (a Mud Duck) had to put down the book and laugh knowing how confused I was hearing this the first time. My future wife (Wisconsin-ite) had to explain ‘a horse apiece’.

• Sedulo
      Posted May 10, 2011 at 2:50 AM | Permalink

I felt proud that I knew what ‘a horse apiece’ meant…I found out awhile back ’cause I dated someone from Minnesota (St. Paul) and when I first heard it I was like “Say WHAT?!”

• James66
        Posted May 10, 2011 at 6:22 AM | Permalink

what is a horse apiece. I never did figure that out.

• Oatmeal
          Posted May 10, 2011 at 6:52 AM | Permalink

It’s another way of saying “Six of one, half a dozen of the other.” It basically means it’s the same either way… I think anyway. I’ve never heard the phrase, but that’s how I interpreted it.

• Angelbaka
            Posted May 10, 2011 at 2:58 PM | Permalink

Another (east coast?) version of the saying is ‘Same Difference”.

• oli
            Posted May 11, 2011 at 8:08 PM | Permalink

I’d never heard it either but here in New Zealand we have a saying “A dollar each way” referring to betting on horse racing, a dallar for it to win and a dollar for it to lose. so means basically the same thing.

71. fractionallyfae
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 10:17 PM | Permalink

Somewhere in WMF, narrator-Kvothe said that someone (can’t remember who) was “self-centered as a gyroscope.” I remember that one because I decided on the spot that it was my new favorite phrase. :)

72. hop3ful
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 10:58 PM | Permalink

Paragraph about love, page 53 of Wise Man’s Fear, “So yes, it had flaws” to “That is rare and pure and perfect”
    It’s glorious.

73. feory274
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 11:37 PM | Permalink

I really like the scene when Kvothe was in Adem and was mocked for thinking that guys have to have sex with girls in order for them to be pregnant. And then when it was said back to him it sounded really ridiculous.

74. Evenglare
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 12:13 AM | Permalink

Kvothe-”His ass fell off”
    Dedan? Maybe Hespe? -”Then what happened??”
    Kvothe-”Nothing … thats the end.”

Couldnt stop laughing at that.

75. Physicker
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 12:50 AM | Permalink

While not as clean or profound as many of these, I found myself completely delighted by the exchange Kvothe and Elodin had on page 979 of WMF-

Elodin: “How long do you think it will be before you can make yourself a ring of air?”
    Kvothe: “Who’s to say I’m not already wearing it?”
    Elodin, laughing at first before curiously inspecting Kvothe’s face and hand: “Are you joking?”
    Kvothe: “That’s a good question. Am I?”

I remember reading this for the first time, laughing aloud, and re-reading the exchange again while smirking. Great snapshot of exactly who both of those characters are.

76. lendondain
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 12:55 AM | Permalink

Jesus, I must want hordes of people to burn lutes on my lawn….

My favorite line from Wise Man’s Fear is the line about being the kind of person who eats the rind on the little cheese. To me, this is the only memorable line in the whole book. I would say (much the way Pat does) that there are many more memorable lines in the first book.

It’s a shame you need more than two items to play “Which one of these things is not like the other?” Here’s hoping the third book falls on the right side of the fence and that it doesn’t take so long to hit the ground.

77. chaelek
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 1:20 AM | Permalink

Sim’s version of the piss/candy joke, where he deadpan gives Kvothe the oinment and tells him if he mixes it with piss it turns to candy. Delicious candy.

I honestly laughed for a solid five minutes when I read this the first time, though admittedly it was 5AM March 1st and I was somewhat sleep deprived.

Great line, wildly hilarious.

There’s also the last part of your not for children children’s book. I won’t quote it as to stay away from spoilers, but… Morbid and creepifyin, in the words of Malcom Reynolds, and horribly amazing.

• Sherry
      Posted May 21, 2011 at 3:43 AM | Permalink

Actually, I belive that was Wash regarding his wife. They were in bed and he was ‘composing’ a rather ineloquent eulogy for her “on accounta her being all morbid and creepifying” It’s a great scene. But then I’m partial. My heart aches for the potential more of that show.

78. christie
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 1:50 AM | Permalink

I have given some thought to making a list of the 10 best quotes and the most humorous quotes in The Wise Man’s Fear, or even making a quiz of some sort with a fill in the blank (although most of the funny quotes had swears which are not allowed in quizzes on goodreads).

I enjoyed the plum bob episode to the point of tears in my eyes despite reading it many many times and telling anyone who would listen that it was very funny. I don’t know how many times it took so that I could read it without giggling. Might still giggle if I try to read it out load. Ok…… so one of my favorite quotes because it never fails at making me laugh:

Page 73 The Wise Man’s Fear

“How about this?” Simmon asked me. “Which is worse, stealing a pie or killing Ambrose?”

I gave it a moment’s hard thought. “A meat pie, or a fruit pie?”

79. picklefish
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 2:20 AM | Permalink

There is a cool feature in amazon that lets readers highlight certain favourite quotes while they are reading on the kindle. Then the author can look at them. Another author blogged about the neat quotes he found that people highlighted in his books. I don’t know how you do it though :/ Here’s his post on it

80. Sedulo
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 2:42 AM | Permalink

The scene between Chronicler and Bast at the end of NOTW is one of the best scenes I have read. I have read it as dialogue with another actor and Bast is so damn frightening! Very challenging to act out as he is all pleasant and then gets so absolutely threatening.

The climactic moment:

“You are an educated man. You know there are not such things as demons.” Bast smiled a terrible smile. “There is only my kind.” Bast leaned closer still, Chronicler smelled flowers on his breath “You are not wise enough to fear me as I should be feared. You do not know the first note of the music that moves me.”

Whoa! Scary! And then he is all charming and hops out the window. When I first read page 660 and 661 I believe my hair stood on end.

Also, the title “The Name Of The Wind”. It is why I read it in the first place. I picked it up, flinched at the Fabio cover, read the flyleaf and put it back on the shelf. I moved down about three feet and said out loud “Cool. Hmmm…finding the name of the wind!” And I grabbed it. Absolutely dorky, but true.

• Sedulo
      Posted May 10, 2011 at 3:04 AM | Permalink

Well, I didn’t actually read a flyleaf, I read the inside of the book cover and riffled through the book.

81. Oatmeal
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 2:46 AM | Permalink

I can’t believe nobody has mentioned this one yet, but the scene where Kvothe is following Denna, she talks to the girl about what type of whore it’s best to be, comparing them to her father’s stable of horses.
    (I don’t have the book in front of me, so this is an almost quote …)

“No. Don’t fool yourself. You’re still a horse, and sooner or later you’re going to get ridden.”

I thought it was just perfect.

Also pretty much anything Auri or Elodin say.
    “Don’t put a spoon in your eye over it.”
    “Always call a whore a lady.”
    “Let’s just assume I’m not some rich tit’s son out for a lark.”

Hmmm … that’s all for now, but I may have to come back after I’ve read both books again. I’m taking notes this time, so that I’m prepared when I talk with my husband. Damn him for remembering things that I don’t. :o)

• SilverDrow
      Posted May 10, 2011 at 10:55 AM | Permalink

@ Oatmeal. Yea, that whole discussion Denna had with that girl was powerful. Depressing, said, and all encompassing of how frustrating Denna’s character is.

Another one.

I can’t remember where, don’t have the book in front of me, but it was towards the beginning. It was where Kvothe compares the Modegan accent to sex. My thoughts exactly when I hear an attractive Aussie speak.

82. tara123
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 2:46 AM | Permalink

“A poet is a musician who can’t sing.”

I failed english for saying this. Well worth it though.

83. fb
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 3:10 AM | Permalink

Well Pat, I’m not sure you’ll be reading this far down the comments but from NOTW it has to be the quote my sister told me that made me want to read the book in the first place which is the scene on p. 250 when Hemme says to a female student who was late to come in
    “Rian, would you please cross your legs?…………………….Now that the gates of hell are closed, we can begin”
    Actually made me laugh so much, as much as its brings a grin to my face whenever I remember that line!

84. Peerstfreek
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 3:49 AM | Permalink

Page 740, Vashet

“I want to make good fight.”….”With sword!”

I was reading this at work and laughed out loud. It earned me a few odd looks from my co-workers.

• christie
      Posted May 10, 2011 at 11:26 PM | Permalink

I agree. Very funny and a nice visual image with the grinning and the fists and the jumping. I also like how she goes on to say:

” It’s as if Tempi brought home a dog that can whistle. The fact that you are out of tune stands quite beside the point.”

85. panda
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 4:50 AM | Permalink

‘So yes. It had flaws, but what does that matters when it comes to matters of the heart? We love what we love. Reason does not enter into it. In many ways, unwise love is the truest love. Anyone can love a thing because. That’s as easy as putting a penny in your pocket. But to love something despite. To know flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.’
    Pg 53.

86. Widow Of Sirius
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 6:52 AM | Permalink

I don’t have one favorite so much as noticing just how often Kvothe speaks in seven-word sentences to Denna :)

• Widow Of Sirius
      Posted May 10, 2011 at 10:45 AM | Permalink

Although, my heart melted a little at
      “And she was. And I am. And so.”

• Widow Of Sirius
        Posted May 10, 2011 at 10:46 AM | Permalink

Oh, and I would marry Simmon if he were real. Instantly. The boyfriend of 4.5 years understands and accepts this.

• Barentanz
      Posted May 10, 2011 at 11:19 PM | Permalink

Is your username a reference to some astrological mythology I’ve not yet learned? Or is it a reference to Sirius Black of Godfather fame?

• Widow Of Sirius
        Posted May 11, 2011 at 6:15 PM | Permalink

Definitely Sirius Black. I started using it when I was about 15 and the 5th Harry Potter book came out, and it has stuck ever since.

87. focusontheclouds
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 7:34 AM | Permalink

Here are a few of my favorite quotes or just generally wonderful bits of writing. These are from WMF in reverse order:

“I’ve waited a long time to show these flowers how pretty you are,” I said.

There are those who can say many things in one thing. My Shehyn is such. They say a thing in one breath and others will find meaning in it for a year.
    - Tempi

…your kisses are like snowflakes on my lips.
    - Felurian

but you were like a gentle summer storm.” She made a fluttering gesture with a hand. “you were a dancer fresh upon the field.” Her eyes glittered wickedly.
    - Felurian

Hespe’s mouth went firm. She didn’t scowl exactly, but it looked like she was getting all the pieces of a scowl together in one place, just in case she needed them in a hurry.

“The point,” Bredon said grandly, “is to play a beautiful game.” He lifted his hands and shrugged, his face breaking into a beatific smile. “Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?”

Pride is always a better lever against the nobility than reason.

“Everything,” she said, and for a moment her voice wasn’t quite as playful. “All the bad parts of my life. Who I am. It’s nice to be able to take a vacation from myself every once in a while. You help with that. You’re my safe harbor in an endless, stormy sea.”
    - Denna

“The majority of important things cannot be said outright,” Elodin said. “They cannot be made explicit. They can only be implied.”
    - Elodin

Then, since all my other options seemed to be exhausted, I decided it would be best if I fell off the roof.

“Or else I’ll probably do something stupid beyond all mortal ken.” I swallowed. “And both of us will end up the worse for it.”

“You are shiny as a new penny,” I admitted. “No man can hope to stand against you.”

Once her eyes weren’t fixed on mine, I regained a small piece of my wits.

As they say, a jeweler knows the uncut gem. And I am. And she was. And so.

Watching her stroll through the crowd was like watching the wind move across the surface of a pond. Except instead of casting ripples on the water, the heads of young men turned to watch her as she passed.

Fela gave a shrug and the long, dark curls of hair she’d brushed away took the opportunity to tumble back, framing her face.

And a favorite from TNOW:

“She caught a piece of my smile and shone it back at me.”

88. tothePAIN
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 9:06 AM | Permalink

I should have been bolder and kissed her at the end. I should have been more cautious. I had talked too much. I had said too little.

The last part, “I had talked too much. I had said too little.” is just so precise.

89. Sabrina B.
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 9:11 AM | Permalink

There was one fairly early on in the book about relationships… i’m talking like first sixth of the book here…. that I loved when I read but because I didn’t jump up to grab a bookmark to mark it, I haven’t been able to find it. If anyone has any ideas as to what or where that might be, I’d appreciate it.

90. SilverDrow
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 9:31 AM | Permalink

“Too much looking can get in the way of seeing.”

91. Herelle
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 9:43 AM | Permalink

I laughed out loud when I read this:

“It´s a dragon” Denna whispered. “Tehlu hold and overroll us. It´s a dragon.”
    “It´s not a dragon” I said. “There´s no such thing as dragons.”
    “Look at it!” she hissed at me. “It´s right there! Look at the huge Goddamn dragon!” (…) it´s going to come over here and eat us.”
    “It doesn´t eat meat,” I said. “It´s an herbivore. It´s like a big cow.”
    Denna looked at me and started to laugh. (…) There was another flash of blue fire from below. Denna froze midlaugh, then took her hands away from her mouth. She looked at me, her eyes wide, and spoke softly with a slight waver in her voice, “Moooooo.”

• Angelbaka
      Posted May 10, 2011 at 3:26 PM | Permalink

I laughed for a solid ten minutes during that scene. I had to re-read the last line after every time because I’d been laughing for so long, then I’d read it and start laughing again.

• cjkoger
      Posted May 10, 2011 at 10:50 PM | Permalink

Haha, I forgot about that part. I laugh out loud every time i read it.

• Constance
      Posted May 11, 2011 at 1:11 PM | Permalink

I am always amused by the idea of the draccus “try[ing] to tup our campfire” Makes me giggle every time.

92. SISSI
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 10:02 AM | Permalink

“It s the questions we can t answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man a answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question and he will look for his own answes”

93. JoeGallagher
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 10:29 AM | Permalink

Our people and theirs are as different as water and alcohol. In equal glasses they look the same. Both liquid. Both clear. Both wet, after a fashion. But one will burn, the other will not. This has nothing to do with temperament or timing. These two things behave differently because they are profoundly, fundamentally not the same.

The same is true with humans and the Fae. We forget it at our peril.

94. brolo
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 11:25 AM | Permalink

I can’t believe nobody has said these yet. I’m going by memory, so bear with me.

between Denna and Kvothe:
    “More like honor among thieves”-Kvothe
    “Kvothe, steal me.”

another Denna one:
    “There you go saying seven words again”

but to narrow those two down as my favorites would be wrong. I love those, but those are just some I noticed haven’t been said. I love everything about the books. I got my girlfriend hooked on the books and she said something that is absolutely true. “Every few pages Pat says something that is absolute gold.” Too true.

95. Korosia
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 11:58 AM | Permalink

TWMF, Elodin:

“Stop grabbing my breasts!”

96. eb
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 12:08 PM | Permalink

NOTW – Hemme
    “Now that the gates of hell are closed. We can begin”
    pg 250 paperback

97. Cloudgazer
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 12:11 PM | Permalink

I don’t really think that most of these really count as quotes because they’re too long or they’re too tied to a character, a really good quote should be something like ‘She was a good cook as good cooks go and as good cooks go she went’, which my mother used to use for years without having ever read the story it comes from (a short story by the immensely quotable Saki)

But if we’re going to include them then I’d add:

Marie: If you weren’t naturally charming somebody would have stabbed you by now
    Kvothe: You’re assuming

98. Malachi Constant
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 12:38 PM | Permalink

“‘You,’ Vashet said as we walked through the hills, ‘are one great gaudy showboating bastard, you know that?’
    I inclined my head slightly to her, gracefully gesturing subordinate acceptance.”
    -The Wise Man’s Fear
    Chapter One Hundred Twenty-Four

99. fordc03
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 12:42 PM | Permalink

My opinion is Johnny Depp should play Elodin if this is ever made into a movie.

All my favorites have been listed.

100. TheLazarus
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 12:55 PM | Permalink

I seek from curiosity I seek the knowing of things.

Printed on the title page in Pats own hand =D