Favorite Quotes….

So the other day someone asked me what my favorite quote was from The Wise Man’s Fear. I stopped to think about it. And thought.

And thought.

It took me a long while to think of any quotes at all from the book. Which seems odd to me, as I’ve spent the better part of the last year revising it.

For some reason, this isn’t a problem with The Name of the Wind. I have to know a hundred little quotable bits from that book. I can probably do a dozen off the top of my head right now.

There’s  the classic ones:

“It was the patient, cut-flower sound of a man who is waiting to die.”

“You may have heard of me.”

Kvothe obviously has a bunch of good lines, as he’s not only the protagonist, but the narrator for most of the book as well:

“The day we fret about the future is the day we leave our childhood behind.”

“We are more than the parts that form us.”

“Metal rusts, music lasts forever.”

A few from Bast:

“We all become what we pretend to be.”

“You are not wise enough to fear me as I should be feared.”

“You do not know the first note of the music that moves me.”

A few from Elodin:

“Blue! Blue! Blue!”

“You lack the requisite spine and testicular fortitude to study under me.”

“Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts.”

And from some of the supporting characters:

“Yes I am, isn’t it wonderful?”

“All stories are true.”

“A poet is a musician who can’t sing.”

I could go on and on….

Despite this, I have a hard time thinking of The Wise Man’s Fear in terms of quotes. I think it might be because I’ve been focusing on it in terms of plot, character development, story arcs, etc etc. Not in terms of tidy little quotable soundbites.

Or maybe it’s just that The Wise Man’s Fear isn’t as quotable is The Name of the Wind.

So I’m curious, do y’all have some favorite quotes from The Wise Man’s Fear?

And since I’m asking, I wouldn’t mind knowing what some of your favorite quotes are from The Name of the Wind, too….

If so, would you mind posting them in the comments below?

Curiously yours,

P.S. Also, a little attribution wouldn’t hurt. By which I mean it would be nice if you mentioned which book your quote was from, and who exactly said it….

This entry was posted in book twoBy Pat517 Responses

1. nebunic
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 2:01 PM | Permalink

This might take some text as I have quite a few favorite quotes from both The Name Of The Wind and The Wise Man’s Fear and I can never settle on an ultimate favorite. Here goes :D
    From The Name Of The Wind:

Master Hemme:
    “Rian, would you please cross your legs?[...]
    “Now that the gates of hell are closed,” Hemme said in his normal, rougher tones. “We can begin.”

Young And there was Ambrose. To deem us simply enemies is to lose the true flavor of our relationship. It was more like the two of us entered into a business partnership in order to more efficiently pursue our mutual interest of hating each other.

Kvothe on how he felt when Denna touched him: (the entirety of the two paragraphs describing what he felt are stuck to my mind, but this part strikes a higher note.)
    The only reason I held together was because my thousand pieces were all leaning together. If I moved, I feared I would fall apart.

Kvothe:
    “Well, you know what they say: Finding the right analogy is as hard as…” I put on a thoughtful expression. “As hard as…” I made an inarticulate grasping gesture.

Master Elodin:
    “Please, we’re all friends here. Feel free to call me by my first name: Master.” He gave a lazy grin and looked back down toward the courtyard.

Kvothe threatening the horse vendor:
    “[...]If that happens, I will not come back and demand a refund. I will not petition the constable. I will walk back to Imre this very night and set fire to your house. Then, when you run out the front door in your nightshirt and stockle-cap, I will kill you, cook you, and eat you. Right there on your lawn while all your neighbors watch.”

Kvothe:
    Wisdom precludes boldness.

From The Wise Man’s Fear:

Kvothe:
    “Ambrose, your presence is the horseshit frosting on the horseshit cake that is the admissions interview process.”
    [...]
    “I met one of your previous ladyloves today,” I said. “She was dealing with the sort of profound emotional trauma I assume comes from seeing you naked.”
    [...]
    “I’ll give you that,” I said, watching her go. “Nobody can make a woman run like you.” I tipped an imaginary hat. “You could give lessons. You could teach a class.”
    One of the most fun to read scenes, it must be because I’m a very sarcastic person.

Kvothe:
    “You’re patronizing me,” I said, pointing at him with the knife. “Don’t.”

Kvothe:
    “I was just looking to trade,” I said. “Unless you are willing to let me see you naked.”

Kvothe:
    “The truth is I’ve made eight deck lamps this last year, Master Kilvin. If I have to make another, I expect I might shit myself from pure boredom.”

Threpe:
    “Remember: There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”

Kvothe:
    “Then the high king carefully turned the golden screw. Once: Nothing. Twice: Nothing. Then he turned it the third time, and the boy’s ass fell off.”
    (Mine almost fell off from laughing so hard :D )

Kvothe:
    Vashet did not share my enthusiasm, and was not bashful about saying so. Eloquently. In two languages.

Kvothe:
    “Does anyone object to my leaving the troupe?” I asked.
    None of them did. So I left.

There were more, but the rest are just paragraphs that I think are really expressive and that struck a chord inside me.

2. Viromaster
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 2:29 PM | Permalink

“Call a Jack a Jack, Call a Spade a Spade, but always call a whore a lady.” NOTW-Kvothe

the entire explination of the “Jackass Jackass” song P446 NOTW

The end of chapter seven starting with “My name is Kvothe…”

“HA!” he roared. “If one student in ten had half his fire I’d teach with a whip and chair insted of chalk and slate.” Master Kilvin NOTW P257

as well as about 720 pages of other fantastic peices of awesome.

3. Lanre
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 2:37 PM | Permalink

From NOTW:

He turned to look at me again, his expression irritated. “Mind your tongue, E’lir. The day I come to you for help with poetry is the day—”

“… is the day you have two hours to spare,” I said. “Two long hours, and that’s just for getting started. ‘So same can the humble thrush well know its north?’ I mean, I don’t even know how to begin to criticize that. It practically mocks itself.”

“What do you know of poetry?” Ambrose said without bothering to turn around.

“I know a limping verse when I hear it,” I said. “But this isn’t even limping. A limp has rhythm. This is more like someone falling down a set of stairs. Uneven stairs. With a midden at the bottom.”

“It is a sprung rhythm,” he said, his voice stiff and offended. “I wouldn’t expect you to understand.”

“Sprung?” I burst out with an incredulous laugh. “I understand that if I saw a horse with a leg this badly ‘sprung,’ I’d kill it out of mercy, then burn its poor corpse for fear the local dogs might gnaw on it and die.”

4. bananskurken
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 3:02 PM | Permalink

Tempi has got the most striking quotes;

“I hate tick!”
    “Why is the Maer looking at hairy balls?”
    “Is this man looking to buy sex with me?”

5. xpixieninjax
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 4:06 PM | Permalink

I’ll have to find it out to find the quotes….
    “Uresh. Your next assignment is to have sex. If you do not know how to do this, see me after class.” Elodin- I’m not sure what page, but it made me giggle in the preview, then when i read the book too.
    Also not a quote, but I’ve always been intrigued by….
    Tempi-” no. i will not speak on the Lethani. It is not for you. Do not ask.”
    Kvote- “I counted in my head. Sixteen words”
    ?????

• Gesepp
      Posted May 10, 2011 at 5:31 PM | Permalink

Earlier in the chapter, he had complained to himself how few words Tempi speaks daily. 16 in one sitting was remarkable.

• DrFood
      Posted May 10, 2011 at 11:22 PM | Permalink

Actually, what’s confusing to me is that in my copy, there’s no “the” before Lethani. Thus, the statement consists of 15 words, not 16. I guess it’s a typo.

Sorry Pat, I know I keep doing this. . .

6. Rothgo
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 4:28 PM | Permalink

My favorite quote, and one of the most beautiful sentiments I’ve read in ages, comes from TWMF, page 53:

“We love what we love. Reason does not enter into it. In many ways, unwise love is the truest love. Anyone can love a thing because. That’s a s easy as putting a penny in your pocket. But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.”

7. Kolhammer
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 4:49 PM | Permalink

Once, I jumped off a roof.

8. crookedneighbor3
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 5:04 PM | Permalink

“When someone tells you a piece of their life, they’re giving you a gift, not granting you your due.” -Kvothe, Interlude

This is absolutely wonderful! (especially for Journalists!) I’ve taken so many quotes from your books and put them in my pocket for safe keeping:) Including Bast’s lullaby:

How odd to watch a mortal kindle
    Then to dwindle, day by day
    Knowing their bright souls are tinder
    And the wind will have its way
    Would I could my own fire lend
    What does your flickering portend?

Thank you for writing such beautiful things!<3

9. mehawk
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 5:05 PM | Permalink

First on the choice of blog topics I have to go with Vashet on this one, “You are one great gaudy showboating bastard, you know that?” But after laughing and crying the last 30 minutes thank you.

“Beautiful, seen” and the love quotes top my list atm, but there is one quote from NoTW that I don’t see here. When I read this I knew I’d spend my last dollar to buy Pat a drink, or Oot a cookie, of vise versa…anyhow, “There are names for people who take advantage of women who are not in full control of themselves, and none of those will ever rightfully be applied to me.” NoTW Kindle

Oh, and, “Steal me” becasue I didn’t.

10. Gesepp
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 5:16 PM | Permalink

I’ve made an account just to post these two, which I haven’t seen yet:

[Fela and Kvothe waste hours using the conventional routes to find a schema for the gram.]
    “I can bring Wil and Sim to help,” I said.
    “Wilem works here,” Fela said. “But Simmon’s never been a scriv, he’ll probably just get in the way.
    I gave her an odd look. “Do you know Sim very well?”
    “Not very,” she admitted. “I’ve seen him around.”
    “You’re underestimating him,” I said. “People do it all the time. Sim’s smart.”
    “Everyone here is smart,” Fela said. “And Sim is nice, but…”
    “That’s the problem,” I said. “He’s nice. He’s gentle, which people see as weak. And he’s happy, which people see as stupid.”
    - The Wise Man’s Fear, page 210

You just knew Kvothe was going to stand up for his friend. Plus it reinforces the Adem’s philosophy of “Smart is quiet.”

Kvothe talking to Elodin about Auri was very touching, but I can’t seem to find the page.

Devi continued to stand in the doorway, pale and staring. Concerned, I stepped forward and laid my hand lightly on her arm. She didn’t pull away as I half-expected. She simply looked down at my hand.
    “I’m waiting for a quip her,” I teased gently. “You’re usually quicker than this.”
    “I don’t think I can match wits with you right now,” she said.
    “I never suspected you could match wits with me,” I said. “But I do like a little banter now and then.”
    Devi gave a ghost of a smile, a little color coming back to her cheeks. “You’re a horse’s ass,” she said.
    “That’s more like it,” I said encouragingly as I drew her out of the doorway into the bright autumn afternoon. “I knew you had it in you.”
    - The Wise Man’s Fear, page 939

This was the perfect blend of witty and affectionate, and it made me sad Kvothe loves Denna so much. Devi is just such a great character. Please give her a happy ending, Pat.

• Little My
      Posted May 11, 2011 at 9:13 AM | Permalink

Amen. And I think there’s a pretty good contingent of us out there that thinks that Devi would be a better match for him than Denna.

• Robertk
        Posted May 12, 2011 at 3:10 PM | Permalink

Denna is really starting to get on my nerves. I can understand that she has been hurt, (probably in more ways than one) but why push someone like Kvothe along for nothing. Obviously he walks on eggshells around her, what does he have to do and when does she plan on expressing herself one way or the other.

And while I dont think she should throw herself at him, when is walking circles around each other going to end?

11. T-Al
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 5:47 PM | Permalink

TNOTW
    “My greatest successes came from decisions I made when I stopped thinking and simply did what felt right. Even if there was no good explanation for what I did. Even if there were very good reasons for me not to do what I did”- Kvothe

12. DietchyPeach
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 6:24 PM | Permalink

TWMF:
    “Your the horse shit frosting on the horse shit cake”
    don’t know if it is word for word
    not even sure if it is from TWMF

13. Posted May 10, 2011 at 6:27 PM | Permalink

TWMF (favourite quote so far :P ), pg. 358:

“If you fall, you fall,” Elodin shrugged. “Sometimes falling teaches us things too. In dreams you often fall before you wake.”

While it’s not a quote, I also love the introduction to chapter 73, pg.487-88, about Teccam and the comparison of the secrets of the mouth, and the secrets of the heart.

14. Jaime
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 8:15 PM | Permalink

My favorite is well into Wise Man’s Fear:

“Travel is the great leveler, the great teacher, bitter as medicine, crueler than mirror-glass. A long stretch of road will teach you more about yourself than a hundred years of quiet introspection.”

• cjkoger
      Posted May 10, 2011 at 10:57 PM | Permalink

Yes, this has to be one of my favorites in WMF. It is so absolutely true as well, and actually startling to think about if you haven’t ever really put some thought or action behind it.

15. angelajs85
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 9:01 PM | Permalink

I would have to say that the quote “Did they get the boy’s ass back on?” and “Introduction to not being a stupid Jackass” are two of my favorites! Both made me laugh out loud when I read them. Hilarious!

16. lyssaur
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 9:18 PM | Permalink

From the second I read it in the Name of the Wind:

“Lovely as the moon: not flawless, perhaps, but perfect.”

17. dbwhitt
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 10:42 PM | Permalink

Some of the threats made are quite memorable. One of my favorites is from NOTW. Ch 71
    “If you sell me a horse that throws a shoe, or starts to limp, or spooks at shadows, I will miss a valuable opportunity. A quite unrecoverable opportunity. If that happens, I will not come back and demand a refund. I will not petition the constable. I will walk back to Imre this very night and set fire to your house. Then, when you run out the front door in your nightshirt and stockle-cap, I will kill you, cook you, and eat you. Right there on your lawn while all your neighbors watch.”
    Who hasn’t wanted to say something like that to a used car salesman?

• gorillabait
      Posted May 11, 2011 at 8:53 PM | Permalink

Yes, yes, Gods below yes. One of the best things I’ve ever read. One of so many in this book.

18. bcannon
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 10:50 PM | Permalink

I have hitch-hiked across frozen deserts, ridden rock slides down slate mountains, learned strange and possibly useless languages, and howl’d at moons on three continents. Women are always asking me what I’m looking for, and I’ve always been so shocked by the question I could never come up with an answer they might understand.

From now on, I’ll give them this:
    ‎”No man is brave that has never walked a hundred miles. If you want to know the truth of who you are, walk until not a person knows your name. Travel is the great leveler, the great teacher, bitter as medicine, crueler than mirror-glass. A long stretch of road will teach you more about yourself than a hundred years of quiet introspection.” — TWMF

And I will laugh a their surprise.

19. Barentanz
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 11:28 PM | Permalink

Pat, the entirity of both books are fantastic. How can you ask me to choose a favority quote? So many are so good.

I love every scene involving Elodin and the Eolian (and yes, it is just coincidence that my two favorite things in your books are one letter away from being anagrams). I’ve read all of these scenes so many times. Best quote is the scene at the Rookery. Elodin knew the name of the wind. I looked him in the eye and took a step. Obviously, I don’t remember the quote exactly.

The descriptions of love and music and the analogies are just beautiful, even for those of us who’ve never been in love. (I get the music stuff as a mostly-amatuer classical musician!)

Finally, as this is one of my favorites and I haven’t seen it mentioned yet, my favorite single quote(s) would have to be the nursery rhyme on the Chandrian. I’ve been trying to come up with a tune that, like Ring Around the Rosie, is catchy, simple, which belies the true horror of the subject material, but which is at the same time haunting. It is exceedingly difficult to write a simple tune like this. Probably someone who actually writes music would be better than I. The other children’s rhyme are also good (I especially like the ones Bast uses in the final chapters of TWMF) but Chandrian is especially good.

• Barentanz
      Posted May 10, 2011 at 11:29 PM | Permalink

Also, BTW, the attitude summed up in “Blue! Blue! Blue!” is pretty much how I try to live. What a wonderful mindset!

20. BrickS
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 1:24 AM | Permalink

Okay, from the first book. (Sorry no pages or word for word quotes).
    NOTW:
    I really enjoyed when he said he sang colors to a blind man. Kvothe that is (3rd person Kvothe).
    I also enjoyed when Bast said something about using Chronicler’s organs as lute strings as he danced around a fire or something, awesome part.
    WMF:
    When Elodin said that Kvothe had the feck of twenty men.
    I believe it was Kvothe, (again 3rd person Kvothe) who said something about how anyone can love someone (or something?) because, but to love despite… I forget the rest but it was a good quote.

OH and props to Pat for knowing the difference between healthy and healthful. The part where Bast was complaining about beets and Kvothe said they were “healthful” not “healthy.”

Both great books.

21. Aussie_Jess
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 3:18 AM | Permalink

It was very hard for me to choose favourites so ive choosen two One being moving , and the other making me laugh myself stupid!

TWMF: “How about this ” Simmon asked me. ” Which is worse,stealing a pie or killing Ambrose?”.

I gave it a moment’s hard thought. ” A meat pie or a fruit pie? ”

” I need you to breathe for me” She repeated ” That’s seven words” .

22. me
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 5:25 AM | Permalink

I really liked “‘I’m relieved’, I said honestly. ‘I was worried I’d given myself cadmium poisoning, or I had some mysterious disease. This is just someone trying to kill me.” WMF

There were better ones but they were mentioned above and I don’t think this one has.

23. You Will Remember Me
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 5:55 AM | Permalink

One of the moments (specific quote unavailable) that i thought was just awesome was when Kvothe stood up to the nasty Adem lady (memory is failing today) and tells her that she makes to much noise, like a dog. His mirroring of Tempi I thought was just badass and my reaction was just “You go Kvothe!” XD

24. echo
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 6:15 AM | Permalink

*****************************************************************
    Reading so many posts must get tiring after a while, but i hope you still have the patience to read mine. I may be repeating someone else’s comment, because I certainly didn’t have the patience to check. :)
    It’s not necessarily a quote, but still:

“Instead of answering he stood, and started searching the shelves with his eyes. ‘You can tell a lot about a person by their feet,’ he mused. ‘Some men come in here, smiling and laughing, shoes all clean and brushed, socks all powdered up. But when the shoes are off, their feet smell just fearsome. Those are the people that hide things. They’ve got bad smelling secrets and they try to hide ‘em, just like they tried to hide their feet.’

He turned to look at me. ‘It never works though. Only way to stop your feet from smelling is to let them air out a bit. Could be the same with secret. I don’t know about that, though. I just know about shoes.’

That was said by the generous shoemaker that gave Kvothe some second-hand shoes.

I thought that was ingenious. :D That was in The Name of the Wind, on page 207.

Also, in that book, on page 123, the first page of ‘Roads to Safe Places’ chapter, is another one I giggle from the pure geniusness of it.

“Perhaps the greatest faculty our minds posses is the ability to cope with pain. Classic thinking teaches us of the four doors of the mind, which everyone moves through according to their need.

“First is the door of sleep. Sleep offers us a retreat from the world and all its pain. Sleep marks passing time, giving us distance from the things that have hurt us. When a person is wounded they will often fall unconscious. Similarly, someone who hears traumatic news will often swoon or faint. This is the mind’s way of protecting itself from pain by stepping through the first door.

“Second is the door of forgetting. Some wounds are too deep to heal, or too deep to heal quickly. In addition, many memories are simply painful, and there is no healing to be done. The saying ‘time heals all wounds’ is false. Time heals most wounds. The rest are hidden behind this door.

“Third is the door of madness. There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.

“Last is the door of death. The final resort. Nothing can hurt us after we are dead, or so we are told.”

;D

My name is echo. You may have heard of me.

Probably not, actually, but hey. :D

(No capitals in echo)!!!!!!!!!
    *****************************************************************

25. In anna
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 7:10 AM | Permalink

NOTW page 413

“Are you possessed of,” he cleared his throat and read directly off the page. “A pizzle bound to fizzle?”

Jackass, Jackass!

• fordified
      Posted May 12, 2011 at 8:00 AM | Permalink

THANK YOU!!! This is the one I’ve been wanting to post but every time I get back around to my book I’m doing a hundred different things.

That cracks me up everytime.

26. aqualouise
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 7:44 AM | Permalink

Did nobody put the bit from The Name of the Wind where Bast is explaining why all great scholars have bad eyes and all lovers have good eyesight? I can’t remember where it is, though it’s very early on. I thought the logic was totally faultless! :)

27. FiremanD
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 8:19 AM | Permalink

Two words in the book reminded me of the Author….

“Marvelous Facebear!”

If I had skill I would put your face on a T-shirt with the words laid out like the last moments of truth on it and send it to you, Mr. Rothfuss!

28. sherm
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 9:14 AM | Permalink

This one was already used, but my favorite from Wise Man’s Fear is “I’d already told her the truth of things: I was no gentleman. I was a thief” (pg 160). -Qvothe

And I also love Elodin’s line during one of his lectures. It was something along the lines of “Qvothe is crap at interesting thing.”

29. silentmum
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 9:30 AM | Permalink

All of the words, on all of the pages……

30. Dan
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 1:04 PM | Permalink

“The closeness of her was the sweetest, sharpest thing my life had ever known.” -Kvothe (TNOTW)

31. Skoivan
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 1:44 PM | Permalink

When I was reading the paperback version I wrote some quotes down in a little orange notepad….
    “Tarbean is full of dangerous people, but none as dangerous as a sweet-eater with the desperate craving for more resin.” (Also that whole description of the lady in the snow was incredible.)

“It’s every girl’s dream to be rescued from someone’s pet pig.” ~Denna

“Are you hurt?”
    “Absolutely. Especially in my everywhere.”

“I don’t gamble with the lives of people I care for.”

“Now fetch me what I asked for… or I will burn this place down around your ears and dance among the ashes and your charred, sticky bones.”

“It is quite enough to have a secret. Anything more would be greedy.” ~Auri
    “Wisdom precludes boldness.” ~Auri

“We all become what we pretend to be.” ~Bast
    “Three ways I own you. That makes you wholly mine. An instrument of my desire. You will do as I say.” ~Bast

And I kept a notebook of quotes while I was reading the Wise Man’s Fear…
    “I don’t wonder why they talk. I wonder what they say.” p. 30

“A tree doesn’t make a thunderstorm, but any fool knows where lightning’s going to strike.” ~Manet p. 41 (foreshadowing…?)

“If you want to know of love, look to a trouper’s hands as he makes his music.” p. 52

“As with many things, hesitation is better than hurry.” p. 95

“Poetry is like a song without music,” I said loftily. “A song without music is like a body without a soul.” p. 261

“Sometimes a man enjoys a symphony. Elsetimes he finds a jig more to his taste. The same holds true for lovemaking. … Each woman is like an instrument, waiting to be learned, loved, and finely played, to have at last her own true music made. Some might take offense at this way of seeing things, not understanding how a trouper views his music. … But those people do not understand love, or music, or me.” p. 701

“Music is there for when words fail us.” p. 794

“Kvothe has served me well. He does nothing lightly, and I ignore him only to my detriment.” p. 918

“When some men look at you it’s a greasy thing. It makes you want to have a bath. With other men it’s nice. It helps you kno you’re beautiful.” ~Fela p. 975

32. shawnmccarney
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 2:36 PM | Permalink

“What is balls?” Tempi. from A Wise Man’s Fear

*I don’t know if I spelled “Tempi” right. I got the audio book online because we don’t have the real book in Europe yet. (at least I don’t THINK we do)

33. hanna
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 2:48 PM | Permalink

“Why would I want to win anything but a beautiful game?” – Bredon, on the playing of Tak.

This is the one that stuck with me. ^_^

34. Maapo
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 3:34 PM | Permalink

Well I read it on the kindle, and highlighted many passages (which are, as some of you know, automatically transferred to your pc). So here they are (I’ve actually read all of them several times since. Epic books always have great quotes) :

She grinned. “I have an apple that thinks it is a pear,” she said, holding it up. “And a bun that thinks it is a cat. And a lettuce that thinks it is a lettuce.” “It’s a clever lettuce then.” “Hardly,” she said with a delicate snort. “Why would anything clever think it was a lettuce?” “Even if it is a lettuce?” I asked. “Especially then,” she said. “Bad enough to be a lettuce. How awful to think you are a lettuce too.”

Her playing was slow, almost stately. Too many people think speed is the hallmark of a good musician. It’s understandable. What Marie had done at the Eolian was amazing. But how quickly you can finger notes is the smallest part of music. The real key is timing. It’s like telling a joke. Anyone can remember the words. Anyone can repeat it. But making someone laugh requires more than that. Telling a joke faster doesn’t make it funnier. As with many things, hesitation is better than hurry.

Clothes do not make the man, but you need the proper costume if you want to play the part.

The majority of important things cannot be said outright,” Elodin said. “They cannot be made explicit. They can only be implied.

Now that I’d committed myself, there was nothing to do but make the best of the situation.

It took me about ten minutes to realize Marten should be the leader of this expedition. He had more woodcraft than all the rest of us put together and had even hunted men for bounty once or twice. When I mentioned this to him, he shook his head and smiled, telling me that being able to do something and wanting to do it were two very different things indeed.

“The stone moved not at all, and you called it beautiful as well.” Questioning. “It is not the nature of stone to move. Perhaps it is beauty to move according to your nature.”

I examined the edge of the leaf and saw it was rigid, its edge as sharp as a blade of grass. Sword tree indeed. I looked up at the spinning leaves. Anyone standing near the tree when the wind was high would be cut to ribbons. Shehyn said, “If you were to attack this tree, what would you do? Would you strike the root? No. Too strong. Would you strike the leaf? No. Too fast. Where then?” “The branch.” “The branch.” Agreement. She turned to me. “That is what Tempi has not taught you. It would have been wrong for him to teach you that. Nevertheless, you have suffered for it.” “I don’t understand.” She gestured for me to begin the Ketan. Automatically I fell into Catch Sparrows. “Stop.” I froze in position. “If I am to attack you, where should it be? Here, at the root?” She pushed my leg and found it unyielding. “Here at the leaf?” She pushed at my upheld hand, moving it easily, but accomplishing little else. “Here. The branch.” She pushed gently against one of my shoulders, moving me easily. “And here.” She added pressure to my hip, spinning me around. “Do you see? You find the place to spend your strength, or it is wasted. Wasting strength is not of the Lethani.”

“This is the nature of love.” Vashet said. “To attempt to describe it will drive a woman mad. That is what keeps poets scribbling endlessly away. If one could pin it to the paper all complete, the others would lay down their pens.

Later Naden and I tended to the washing up. “Vashet tells me your swordplay is progressing poorly,” he said without preamble. “She says you fear too much for your hands, and this makes you hesitant.” Firm reproach. I froze at the abruptness of it, fighting the urge to stare at his ruined hand. I nodded, not trusting myself to speak. He turned from the iron pot he was scrubbing and held out his hand in front of him. It was a defiant gesture, and his face was hard. I looked then, as ignoring it would be rude. Only his thumb and forefinger remained, enough to grip at things, but not enough for any delicate work. The half of his hand that remained was a mass of puckered scar. I kept my face even, but it was hard. In some ways I was looking at my worst fear. I felt very self-conscious of my uninjured hands and fought the urge to make a fist or hide them behind my back. “It has been a dozen years since this hand held a sword,” Naden said. Proud anger. Regret. “I have thought long on that fight where my fingers were lost. I did not even lose them to a skilled opponent. They fell to some barbarian whose hands were better suited to a shovel than the sword.” He flexed his two fingers. In some ways, he was lucky. There were other Adem in Haert who were missing entire hands, or eyes, or limbs to the elbow or knee. “I have thought a long time. How could I have saved my hand? I have thought about my contract, protecting a baron whose lands were in rebellion. I think: What if I had not taken that contract? I think: What if I had lost my left hand? I could not talk, but I could hold a sword.” He let his hand drop to his side. “But holding a sword is not enough. A proper mercenary requires two hands. I could never make Lover out the Window or Sleeping Bear with only one….” He shrugged. “It is the luxury of looking backward. You can do it forever, and it is useless. I took the red proudly. I brought over two hundred and thirty talents to the school. I was of the second stone, and I would have made the third in time.” Naden held up his ruined hand again. “I could have gained none of these things if I had lived in fear of losing my hand. If I flinched and cringed, I would never have been accepted into the Latantha. Never made the second stone. I would be whole, but I would be less than I am now.”

She looked at me for a moment, her eyes serious, then she rolled over onto her stomach so she could face me more easily. “This anger is not a feeling. It is …” She hesitated, frowning prettily. “It is a desire. It is a making. It is a wanting of life.” Penthe looked around, then focused on the grass around us. “Anger is what makes the grass press up through the ground to reach the sun,” she said. “All things that live have anger. It is the fire in them that makes them want to move and grow and do and make.”

“The two of you are from Levinshir?” I asked to keep the silence at arm’s length.

“Fine, fine.” Elodin walked over to where Fela sat. “We’ll use Fela’s example.” He took her hand and pulled her to her feet, motioning me to follow. I came reluctantly to my feet as well and Elodin arranged the two of us so we stood facing each other in profile to the class. “Here we have two lovely young people,” he said. “Their eyes meet across the room.” Elodin pushed my shoulder and I stumbled forward half a step. “He says hello. She says hello. She smiles. He shifts uneasily from foot to foot.” I stopped doing just that and there was a faint murmur of laughter from the others. “There is something ephemeral in the air,” Elodin said, moving to stand behind Fela. He put his hands on her shoulders, leaning close to her ear. “She loves the lines of him,” he said softly. “She is curious about the shape of his mouth. She wonders if this could be the one, if she could unclasp the secret pieces of her heart to him.” Fela looked down, her cheeks flushing a bright scarlet. Elodin stalked around to stand behind me. “Kvothe looks at her, and for the first time he understands the impulse that first drove men to paint. To sculpt. To sing.” He circled us again, eventually standing between us like a priest about to perform a wedding. “There exists between them something tenuous and delicate. They can both feel it. Like static in the air. Faint as frost.” He looked me full in the face. His dark eyes serious. “Now. What do you do?” I looked back at him, utterly lost. If there was one thing I knew less about than naming, it was courting women. “There are three paths here,” Elodin said to the class. He held up one finger. “First. Our young lovers can try to express what they feel. They can try to play the half-heard song their hearts are singing.” Elodin paused for effect. “This is the path of the honest fool, and it will go badly. This thing between you is too tremulous for talk. It is a spark so faint that even the most careful breath might snuff it out.” Master Namer shook his head. “Even if you are clever and have a way with words, you are doomed in this. Because while your mouths might speak the same language, your hearts do not.” He looked at me intently. “This is an issue of translation.” Elodin held up two fingers. “The second path is more careful. You talk of small things. The weather. A familiar play. You spend time in company. You hold hands. In doing so you slowly learn the secret meanings of each other’s words. This way, when the time comes you can speak with subtle meaning underneath your words, so there is understanding on both sides.”

35. rumbleroar
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 5:27 PM | Permalink

“A cat does not think of stretching, it stretches. But a tree does not even do this. A tree simply sways without the effort of moving itself. That is how she moved.” — Kvothe speaking of Denna on page 449 of WMF

“You’re creepy.” — Sim speaking of Kvothe’s alar on page 151 of WMF

These are both priceless!

36. ChrisC
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 6:30 PM | Permalink

Let me think…

“You can divide infinity an infinite number of times, and the resulting pieces will still be infinitely large, but if you divide a non-infinite number an infinite number of times the resulting pieces are non-infinitely small. Since they are non-infinitely small, but there are an infinite number of them, if you add them back together, their sum is infinite. This implies that any number is, in fact, infinite.”

Elodin’s response is even better: “Wow, Uresh. Your next assignment is to have sex. If you do not know how to do this, see me after class.” -Page 132

Or…

“The point of dancing is the motion that a body makes. A well-played game of Tak reveals the moving of a mind. There is beauty to these things for those with eyes to see it.”

and my personal favorite “The point, is to play a beautiful game.” which is a perfect mission statement for life in my opinion. -Page 446

One more…

“No man is brave that has never walked a hundred miles.”

“A long stretch of road will teach you more about yourself than a hundred years of quiet introspection.” -Both from Page 847

• Posted June 9, 2011 at 7:08 PM | Permalink

Ah, the first two made me laugh aloud in my Grandmother’s house.

Needless to say, it was difficult to explain…

37. fanofnotw
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 6:39 PM | Permalink

I have always wondered what “It was the patient, cut-flower sound of a man waiting to die” meant. The cut-flower part. Does it mean he was silent like a cut-flower? it’s a good sentence but I dont’ know what it means. please explain!

• Jam
      Posted May 12, 2011 at 7:16 AM | Permalink

Just google cut-flower.. U’ll be fine

• Tattered Lucidity
      Posted May 12, 2011 at 10:05 AM | Permalink

Here’s how I interpret that line, fanofnotw — cut flowers are beautiful creatures but they are as good as dead — they’ve been cut at either just before their prime or at their prime, and now all they have left to do is a half-hearted final blossom and then to die. As they die, they wilt and go brown, perhaps brittle, and perhaps there is a real sound to it (like dead rose petals scratching against one another or crumbling in your hand as you clench it) or perhaps it’s a metaphorical sound of something beautiful dying. It always puts me to mind of the Smithereen’s song Cut Flowers too for some reason.

Anyway, I just see that line as a well-turned phrase to bring us to the conclusion that Kvothe is still beautiful, but he is in his vase, his roots and what gives him life removed from him, and only the poor substitute of water (or being Kote) is keeping him alive, and that won’t work for long.

And as for favourite quotes, there are so many for me — but I do love Auri’s line in NOTW describing an owl and saying she had a face like a wicked moon. So descriptive.

• fanofnotw
        Posted May 15, 2011 at 1:31 PM | Permalink

Thank you so much, Tattered Lucidity! :) that really helped. And explained it really well. I never thought about it that way before. I just had a jumble of thoughts going around my head, pointing towards many different answers. So thanks! And I have way to many favorite quotes to count, let alone type, so they’re all just really good. :)

38. inkfish
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 7:00 PM | Permalink

“Nothing like your marvelous facebear,”
    TWMF pg 948
    Out of context, I think “marvelous facebear” is even more hilarious.

39. xXAnEmptyShellXx
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 8:38 PM | Permalink

The Wiseman’s Fear, Chapter 73, pages 487-488

“Teccam claims it is better to have a mouthful of poison than a secret of the heart. Any fool will spit out poison, he says, but we hoard these painful treasures. We swallow hard against them every day, forcing them deep inside us. There they sit, growing heavier, festering. Given enough time, they cannot help but crush the heart that holds them.”

40. gorillabait
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 8:50 PM | Permalink

Patrick, oh Patrick. You are the first author since Tolkien who has moved me with your poems. Others have tried, and some have been… nice. Diverting. But none have been able to give me that thrill, those goosebumps.

How odd to watch a mortal kindle
    Then to dwindle, day by day
    Knowing their bright souls are tinder
    And the wind will have its way
    Would I could my own fire lend
    What does your flickering portend?

This moved me the way nothing has since I first read, and learned

Three rings for Elven Kings under the sky,
    Seven rings for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone.
    Nine rings for mortal Men doomed to die,
    One ring for the Dark Lord on his dark throne.

In the land of Mordor where the shadows lie,
    One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them.
    One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
    In the land of Mordor, where the shadows lie.

Your words set fires.

• gorillabait
      Posted May 11, 2011 at 8:52 PM | Permalink

Oh, and in terms of a single quote, this is truly one of the best and funniest things I’ve ever read.

“Leave this place clean of your foul presence,” the arcanist muttered to himself as he watched them go. “By the power of my name I command it to be so.”

I finally realized why his words seemed so familiar. He was quoting lines from the exorcism scene in Daeonica. Not many folk knew that play.

The old man turned back to his wagon and began to extemporize. “I’ll turn you into butter on a summer day. I’ll turn you into a poet with the soul of a priest. I’ll fill you with lemon custard and push you out a window.” He spat. “Bastards.”

41. sflanagan19
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 10:20 PM | Permalink

One of my favorite lines is 37% of the way through Wise Man’s Fear (I have the Kindle version so I’m not sure of the exact page number):

“In brief, there was a storm, piracy, treachery, and shipwreck, although not in that order. It also goes without saying that I did a great many things, some heroic, some ill-advised, some clever and audacious.

Over the course of my trip I was robbed, drowned, and left penniless on the streets of Junpui. In order to survive I begged for crusts, stole a man’s shoes, and recited poetry. The last should demonstrate more than all the rest how truly desperate my situation became.

However, as these events have little to do with the heart of the story, I must pass them over in favor of more important things. Simply said, it took me sixteen days to reach Severen. A bit longer than I had planned, but at no point during my journey was I ever bored.”

42. Mecha_Panda
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 10:39 PM | Permalink

The Wise Man’s Fear

“Uresh. Your next assignment is to have sex. If you do not know how to do this, see me after class.” Elodin – ebook 151

“I have an apple that thinks it is a pear,” she said, holding it up. “And a bun that thinks it is a cat. And a lettuce that thinks it is a lettuce.” “It’s a clever lettuce then.” “Hardly,” she said with a delicate snort. “Why would anything clever think it was a lettuce?” etc… ebook 44-45

43. aproberts
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 11:18 PM | Permalink

WMF:

Elodin talking about teaching: “Master Kvothe, I am trying to wake your sleeping mind to the subtle language the world is whispering. I am trying to seduce you into understanding. I am trying to teach you. Quit grabbing at my tits.”

I laughed til I cried…Thank you, Patrick, for all that you are.

44. TangentialMind
    Posted May 12, 2011 at 7:13 AM | Permalink

“He’s a little fae around the edges…” Deoch, I think, says this about Kvothe upon first meeting him.

45. Mockingjay22
    Posted May 12, 2011 at 10:52 AM | Permalink

I’m a bit late to jump on the quote wagon, but the one I love that may not be my favorite is when Devi tells Kvothe that she “beat him like a red-headed step-child.”

Maybe it’s because my dad says this expression all the time (maybe it’s a Wisconsin thing??) and Kvothe IS a red head that I find it funny. I remember taking the time to laugh out loud while I was reading it.

Oh! And the repetition of “I know nothing about alchemy,” in the scene with Kvothe and Simmon.

46. Fancymancer
    Posted May 12, 2011 at 11:21 AM | Permalink

I and my girlfriend constantly quote Wilem in Wise Man’s Fear:

“I just want a magical horse that fits in my pocket. And a ring of red amber that gives me power over demons…”

“And an endless supply of cake.”

Glorious.

“I’ve been waiting a long time to show these flowers how pretty you are.”

47. Charis
    Posted May 12, 2011 at 1:16 PM | Permalink

“Quit grabbing at my tits.” Elodin, Kindle location 4784. So many real life applications.

48. Rien1034
    Posted May 12, 2011 at 2:27 PM | Permalink

Probably my favorite out of many favorites from NOTW.

“It takes a special sort of man to show up when he doesn’t know there’s trouble.”

49. AuttieB
    Posted May 12, 2011 at 2:40 PM | Permalink

My favorite quote is from Kvothe’s Dad in the beginning. I’m probably butchering it in my memory but it goes something like “Call a jack a jack, call a spade a spade, but always call a whore a lady. Their lives are hard enough and it always pays to be polite”

50. Robertk
    Posted May 12, 2011 at 2:45 PM | Permalink

“Vashet told me barbarians have stange rituals with your sex. She told me if I wanted to bed you, I should bring you to some flowers.” She gestured around, “These are the best I can find in this season.”

Having experience with the clashing of cultures I found this particularly funny and endearing. Its fair to say I have a bit of a thing for Penthe too! Strong, understanding and funny. Hope she appears in the next book.

51. Shadowrest
    Posted May 12, 2011 at 2:49 PM | Permalink

Logged in for the first time because I haven’t seen my personal favorite.

In the plum bob scene when Sim is concerned about Kvothe “ravishing” Fela.
    Kvothe: “I could no more do that than eat a stone or walk through a wall.”
    (More stuff I can’t quote or paraphrase properly without the book in front of me.)
    Sim: “I’m sure that says some thing about you Kvothe but I’m not sure what.”
    Fela: “I think I have an some idea.”

Also: “Please tell me I can’t eat a stone!”

Forgive inaccuracies as I’m posting on a phone from my academic advisors waiting room.

52. gorillabait
    Posted May 12, 2011 at 3:38 PM | Permalink

He looked in her direction. “How much’s a roll with that worth? I’d give—”

He squinted in her direction, his lips moving as if going through some silent, complex arithmetic. After a moment he shrugged. “More than I’ve got.”

From tWMF.

53. ChaosAthena
    Posted May 12, 2011 at 3:57 PM | Permalink

I do not regret to say that this comment will be incredibly long due to the kindle’s lovely highlighting abilities. However, there will be no page numbers. For this, I *am* sorry.

TWMF quotations.

Elodin on which books to read for class: “Pick one. The others you should skim in a desultory fashion. Look at the pictures. Smell them if nothing else.”

Kvothe: “It is as they say: a heavy purse makes for a light heart.”

Kvothe: “A word of advice to you. Should you ever see that look on a woman’s face, leave off talking at once and sit on both your hands. It may not mend matters, but it will at least keep you from making them any worse.”

Kvothe: “I hate nothing so much as doing a thing badly.”

Kvothe: “Half of seeming clever is keeping your mouth shut at the right times.”

Vashet: “I’ve said I understand. Stop fighting after you have won.”

Kvothe quoting Teccam: “No man is brave that has never walked a hundred miles. If you want to know the truth of who you are, walk until not a person knows your name. Travel is the great leveler, the great teacher, bitter as medicine, crueler than mirror-glass. A long stretch of road will teach you more about yourself than a hundred years of quiet introspection.”

Kvothe: “Sometimes the best help a person can find is helping someone else.”

Kvothe about Fela and Simmon:
    “It was almost as if up until that point, he’d just been occupying space around her, like a piece of furniture. But this time when she looked at him, she took all of him in. His sandy hair, the line of his jaw, the span of his shoulders beneath his shirt. This time when she looked, she actually *saw* him.
    Let me say this. It was worth the whole awful, irritating time spent searching the Archives just to watch that moment happen. It was worth blood and the fear of death to see her fall in love with him. Just a little. Just the first faint breath of love, so light she probably didn’t notice it herself. It wasn’t dramatic, like some bolt of lightning with a crack of thunder following. It was more like when flint strikes steel and the spark fades almost too fast for you to see. But still, you know it’s there, down where you can’t see, kindling.”

TNotW quotations.

Kvothe: “If I seem to wander, if I seem to stray, remember that true stories seldom take the straightest way.”

Kvothe about his parents: “They considered themselves married and didn’t see much point in announcing it to any government or God.”

Arliden, Kvothe’s father: “Call a jack a jack. Call a spade a spade. But always call a whore a lady. Their lives are hard enough, and it never hurts to be polite.”

Kvothe’s Mother: “The difference is between saying something *to* a person, and saying something *about* a person. The first might be rude, but the second is always gossip.”

Abenthy about superstitions: “You’d be a fool to ignore half the town’s warning, even though you don’t believe the same thing they do . . . Every place has its little superstitions, and everyone laughs at what the folk across the river think.”

Kvothe: “Why? Because pride is a strange thing, and because generosity deserves generosity in return. But mostly because it felt like the right thing to do, and that is reason enough.”

Kvothe: “I had learned many things it would have been easier to live without.”

Carving above the Archive doors: “Vorfelan Rhinata Morie.”

Kvothe: “I had been feeling rather out of my element until Ambrose let me know, in his own special way, that there wasn’t much difference between the University and the streets of Tarbean. No matter where you are, people are basically the same.”

Kvothe to Ambrose about Fela: “God’s body, this isn’t some brothel. And, in case you hadn’t noticed, she’s a student, not some brass nail you’ve paid to bang away at. If you’re going to force yourself on a woman, have the decency to do it in an alleyway. At least that way she’ll feel justified screaming about it.”

Kvothe quoting Tarsus from the fourth act of Daeonica:
    “Upon him I will visit famine and a fire.
    Till all around him desolation rings
    And all the demons in the outer dark
    Look on amazed and recognize
    That vengeance is the business of a man.”

Kvothe about Ambrose: “To deem us simply enemies is to lose the true flavor of our relationship. It was more like the two of us entered into a business partnership in order to more efficiently pursue our mutual interest of hating each other.”

Arliden, Kvothe’s father (I sure wish I had listened to this particular bit of advice, too. I was recently the lender in my own personal debacle.): “There are two sure ways to lose a friend, one is to borrow, the other to lend.”

Kvothe: “Offstage I worry and sweat. Onstage I am calm as a windless winter night.”

Deoch:
    “You see, women are like fires, like flames. Some women are like candles, bright and friendly. Some are like single sparks, or embers, like fireflies for chasing on summer nights. Some are like campfires, all light and heat for a night and willing to be left after. Some women are like hearthfires, not much to look at but underneath they are all warm red coal that burns a long, long while.
    But Dianne…Dianne is like a waterfall of spark pouring off a sharp iron edge that God is holding to the grindstone. You can’t help but look, can’t help but want it. You might even put your hand to it for a second. But you can’t hold it.”

Kilvin: “Every tale has deep roots somewhere in the world.”

Kvothe: “And, after some gentle goading, Denna sang for me. One verse of “Come Wash,” a verse I had never heard before, which I suspect she made up on the spot. I will not repeat it here, as she sang it to me, not to you. And since this is not the story of two young lovers meeting by the river, it has no particular place here, and I will keep it to myself.”

Bast: “It’s like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”

54. mikabirdofcats
    Posted May 12, 2011 at 4:51 PM | Permalink

-”I don’t wonder why the talk,” I said. “I wonder what they say.”-Kvothe, page 30, WMF

55. SmokeandMirrors
    Posted May 12, 2011 at 6:34 PM | Permalink

I really liked it when Fela says to Kvothe p.974 “Care for a lady’s perspective” Kvothe responds “I’d settle for yours.”

56. plut8
    Posted May 12, 2011 at 7:12 PM | Permalink

One of my favorite quotations is from the Suvudu Cagematches last year. Pat did a write up of events if G.R.R. Martin’s Jaime Lannister was to fight Kvothe.

Jaime enters the Waystone Inn to find Bast (Kvothe has apparently gone out).
    Jaime justifies killing Kvothe with the argument that Kvothe has nothing and is better off dead. Bast ends up poisoning Jaime and himself, eventually saying something along the lines of
    “You think I wouldn’t drink poison for him? My master doesn’t have his music or his magic but he does have one thing. Do you know what that is? He has me!”

I couldn’t find the passage on the Suvudu website, but I found it kind of touching.
    Pat, could you post it somewhere please?

57. plut8
    Posted May 12, 2011 at 7:53 PM | Permalink

Sorry to double post. I also loved these quotations…

on pg 292 in TNOTW Ambrose criticizes Kvothe after tricking him with the candle.
    “Honestly boy,” he said to me. “I don’t know what you were thinking. You’d think a member of the Arcanum would have more sense.”

I love how Kvothe repeats this to Ambrose in WMF (Don’t have book at hand, not sure which page).
    It’s the definition of win.

58. Fey
    Posted May 12, 2011 at 8:10 PM | Permalink

The Name of the Wind
    “I will slit you open and splash around like a child in a muddy puddle.” -Bast p.719
    “I only know one story.” -Skarpi p.202

The Wise Man’s Fear
    “I do not understand this man. Is he attempting to buy sex with me? Or does he wish to fight?” -Tempi p.579
    “Goodness boy, you’re like a clear pool. I can see ten feet through you, and you’re barely three feet deep.” -Cthaeh p.679

I know there is more really great lines in both but between the ones you already mentioned and my extreme forgetfulness I can’t recall them.
    When I read them for the third and second time respectively I’ll try and collect quotes so I have them on hand the next time the question comes up. =)

59. pippin
    Posted May 12, 2011 at 9:14 PM | Permalink

I don’t have a specific quote, but definitely the part in TWMF when Kvothe talks about when Elodin and him were on a roof in a thunder storm, completely naked, and without a way to get down.

• pippin
      Posted May 12, 2011 at 10:12 PM | Permalink

also, there’s this passage that I love in one of the books (if someone remembers which, please tell me) where kvothe speaks about how important an instrument is to the instrument’s musician, even if the instrument is flawed

60. aproberts
    Posted May 13, 2011 at 1:49 AM | Permalink

I will be using this on my husband the very next time it deems necessary, which I’m quite sure will be very soon.

61. PowerOfaStory
    Posted May 13, 2011 at 11:11 AM | Permalink

I’m not quite sure if this has been posted yet, but its more of a series of quotes from Hemme from the Name of the Wind, pg. 250:

“Rian, would you please cross your legs?”…
    “Now that the gates of hell are closed,”
    “We can begin.”

No sexist hurt intended but that was hilarious, I burst out laughing and had to show three of four people to explain why I was laughing so hard.

62. lykashii
    Posted May 13, 2011 at 4:26 PM | Permalink

My favourite that springs to mind is NOTW when Kvothe is talking about idioms and he translates that one and it translates to(roughly don’t have the book at hand) :

Don’t put a spoon in your eye over it.

Classic.

63. Lastasis
    Posted May 14, 2011 at 1:58 AM | Permalink

“I briefly entertained the notion that I was insane and didn’t know it.  Then I considered the possibility that I had always been insane, acknowledged it as more than likely than the former, then pushed both thoughts from my mind.”

TWMF
    p.633

64. redcrest
    Posted May 14, 2011 at 12:17 PM | Permalink

OMG, I have SO MANY! And thanks to the magic of Kindle’s “see all your highlights & marks” feature, I can quote them exactly AND give you… well, location numbers, instead of page numbers, unfortunately. =__=

I have 48 highlights in Wise Man’s Fear, but in the interest of saving space, I just whittled it down to my Top 15:

“Death was like an unpleasant neighbor. You didn’t talk about him for fear he might hear you and decide to pay a visit. Except in stories, of course. Tales of poisoned kings and duels and old wars were fine. They dressed death in foreign clothes and sent him far from your door.” – Kvothe (Location 263)

“We love what we love. Reason does not enter into it. In many ways, unwise love is the truest love. Anyone can love a thing because. That’s as easy as putting a penny in your pocket. But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.” -Kvothe (Location 1163)

Wil hesitated, frowned. “Basha. What is a word for that here? A man who is intimate with both women and men?”
    “Lucky?” Denna suggested.
    (Location 3188)

“Clothes do not make the men, but you need the proper costume if you want to play the part.” – Kvothe (Location 3793)

“Why do you think they expelled me? They feared a woman who could match a master by her second year.” – Devi (Location 4488)

“You looked too hard and didn’t see enough. Too much looking can get in the way of seeing, you see?” – Puppet (Location 6134)

“Take reflects the subtle turning of the world. It is a mirror we hold to life. No one wins a dance, boy. The point of dancing is the motion tha ta body makes. A well-played game of tak reveals the moving of a mind. There is a beauty to these things for those with eyes to see it.” – Count Bredon (Location 9016) I’m a big fan of Go, and Tak seems to be very similar. At least, Count Bredon’s ruminations on it are exactly dead-on for Go as well! :)

“The point is to play a beautiful game… Who would want to win anything but a beautiful game?” – Count Bredon (Location 9016) Ditto.

“It’s the questions we can’t answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question and he’ll look for his own answers.” – Kvothe, sounding very Vashet-like :D (Location 11209)

“That means anyone influenced by the Cthaeh would be like an arrow shot into the future.” -Kvothe (Location 13738)

“If you fight well, you should take pride in doing a thing well. For fighting itself you should feel only duty and sorrow. Only barbarians and madmen take pleasure in combat. Whoever loves the fight itself has left the Lethani behind.” -Vashet, the Endlessly Wise and Awesome~ (Location 14292)

“Think what you want about making babies. Believe in demons. Pray to a goat. So long as it doesn’t bruise me, why should I bother myself?” – Vashet (Location 16801)

“Teccam said the same thing: No man is brave that has never walked a hundred miles. If you want to know the truth of who you are, walk until not a person knows your name.” – Kvothe (Location 16928)

“Simmon, for example, had a great deal to offer. He was a gemstone in the rough. Not stunning at first glance, but with a great deal of worth beneath the surface. Sim was tender, kind and attentive as any woman could care for. He made Fela deliriously happy. Sim was a prince.” – Kvothe (Location 19004) — So true, Kvothe. Wil really missed out not snagging him up when he had the chance. :P

“There is a great difference between a gift given freely and one that’s meant to tie you to a man.” – Denna (Location 19269) WORD, girl!

I also loved that comment Kvothe makes in book 1 about Sim being the most honest person he knows too–gawds, Sim is such an incomprehensibly adorable character. XD

65. ayslegacy
    Posted May 14, 2011 at 1:04 PM | Permalink

From NOTW
    “and two philtres referred to simply as “maiden’s helper.”Abenthy was rather vague about the purpose of the last of these but I had some strong suspicions.”

“He then proceeded to shout at Alpha and Beta,a sign that he was in a genuine good mood.They took it as calmly as ever, in spite of the fact that he accused them of things I’m sure no donkey has ever willingly done,especially Beta who possessed impeccable moral character.

From TWMF
    The joke about Auri’s underthing and everything about Elodin.

66. gorillabait
    Posted May 14, 2011 at 1:56 PM | Permalink

Almost forgot this one.

“I handed her a violet, its color dark as her eyes. She smiled at me and ate it.”

From tWMF, not sure which page. That was what I was texting my fellow friends and fans of your work as I was reading through for the first time.

67. Damien
    Posted May 15, 2011 at 3:12 PM | Permalink

The Wise Man’s fear :

“I need you to breathe for me.” End of the book, when Kvothe saves Denna.

“Yes, that’s a six.” Simmon talking to a mad Kvothe, very… straight with Fela. Just hilarous !

I only read The Name of the Wind in French, but perhaps you will find some interest in these traductions ? I will try to translate it so you’ll can know what I am talking about ; I do not pretend to tranaslate their elegance.

“Nous sommes bien davantage que la somme des parties qui nous composent.”, that you mentioned : “We are more than the parts that form us.”

“Le meilleur des chiens finit par mordre s’il a reçu trop de coups.”, which could mean : “The kindest dog finally snaps if it has been beaten too many times.”

“J’avais beaucoup trop parlé. J’en avais dit trop peu.” : “I had been talking too much. I had been saying too little.” the end of the first rendez-vous of Kvothe and Denna.

68. SethGalad
    Posted May 15, 2011 at 5:44 PM | Permalink

“He lifted his hands like a dancer, shifted his weight, and took one single perfect step.”

This quote made me wish for a time travel machine to read the next book RIGHT NOW!!!!

(of course with a time machine at hand i have a couple of stuff to do… but after i read the third book)

• rookedwithElodin
      Posted May 16, 2011 at 4:40 PM | Permalink

Absolutely agree. I got all excited when I read that.

69. Handspeaker
    Posted May 15, 2011 at 7:25 PM | Permalink

I love the line, “Finding the perfect analogy is like………..”
    I deal in analogy quite often and therefore giggle to myself quite often at work thanks to you, Pat.

And I also love the, “What what? Hush hush.” I can hear his voice brilliantly in my head and recently realized it was because I had given him the voice of Archimedes, the owl, from the Sword and the Stone.

Lastly, my husband and I tend to give each other gifts (that think they are something else). We have a wonderful time with it but have never come up with any that matched Kvothe or Auri (though we both agree that Auri never at a truly great lettuce).

70. Major Sheep
    Posted May 15, 2011 at 10:54 PM | Permalink

“A Tinker’s debt is always paid.
    Once for any even trade.
    Twice for freely given aid.
    Thrice for any grievance made.”

I think I got that right.

71. Remy
    Posted May 15, 2011 at 11:50 PM | Permalink

I am not done with Wise Mans Fear yet but I love most of all Auri’s quotes lol I Love her=) I even started telling people what is inside the food i give them XD like I gave my dad a peach full of sun shine last month.

One of my favorite quotes off the top of my head is from Name Of The Wind on page 5.
    “A tinkers debt is always paid:
    Once for any simple trade.
    Twice for freely given aid.
    Thrice for any insult made.”
    I Love that one so much lol then another one is on page 41 of NOTW

Bast “A note? You sneak out and leave me a note?” He hissed angrily “What am I, some dockside whore?”

That one always makes me laugh inside ^-^.

~Rem

• jonnie
      Posted May 16, 2011 at 5:49 AM | Permalink

Remy I could not agree more. just finished WMF and decided to come on the site and see when book 3 comes out.. i started reading people’s favourite quotes and was surprised i didnt see anything about Auri. I think the way Auri and Kvothe bring each other food and presents is beautifully written (cheers Pat).

Their relationship for me is one of is not the strongest in the series. the way Kvothe was able to truely be himself and cry into her shoulder was very special.

I always love characters that seem to be simple or mentally unstable. they prove to have some great insights into the world and some great lines.

• EvilAsylum8
        Posted May 16, 2011 at 5:53 AM | Permalink

Just so you know, there’s a ton of stuff about Auri on the first two pages, this is the 3rd page of quotes, just in case you’re looking for any zingers about lettuce and comforting him in his rooms.

• Remy
        Posted May 16, 2011 at 9:47 PM | Permalink

=) Thank you Jonnie,
        Auri and Wil are my two favorite supporting characters.
        I Also LOVE when Elodin joined Auri and Kvothe on the roof top=) i cant remember the exact quote between her and Elodin though sadly =(

72. IRodman
    Posted May 16, 2011 at 9:12 AM | Permalink

Modern philosophers scorn Teccam, but they are vultures picking at the bones of a giant. Quibble all you like, Teccam understood the shape of the world.” TWMF

I talked too much, I said too littel. TNOTW(My all time favorite.)

• MereShadow
      Posted May 18, 2011 at 8:31 PM | Permalink

“I talked too much, I said too little.” -My favorite quote of all time too!

73. JBSC78
    Posted May 16, 2011 at 1:41 PM | Permalink

The cost of a loaf is a simple thing, and so a loaf is often sought, but some things are past valuing: laughter, land, and love are never bought.

74. Itches
    Posted May 16, 2011 at 2:43 PM | Permalink

“Uresh. Your next assignment is to have sex. If you do not know how to do this, see me after class.” – Elodin, The Wise Man’s Fear

75. plonk
    Posted May 16, 2011 at 3:24 PM | Permalink

“May I use your dead?” plus associated meta-info (the way he says it). I knew what was coming… that was probably the hardest-hitting part of the book for me.

76. Jamie
    Posted May 16, 2011 at 7:43 PM | Permalink

the Elodin one about Kvothe having the feck of twenty men when he was being allowed back into the archives. And “You know nothing about alchemy. Say it.” (I don’t have the book next to me)

77. Somnolent Virtuoso
    Posted May 17, 2011 at 11:17 AM | Permalink

Just another long time follower that had to create an account to reply to this one. Pat has a masterful subtlety in his storytelling that has moved me like none other. Without question the best books I have ever read, and the only thing that has kept me from sending a gushy fan letter to him about it is that blogs posts have made it apparent he gets quite enough of them. Such wonderful quotes, and I find WMF to be entirely quotable, though they are usually more than one-liners. I have clipped so many quotes from both books that I want to remember, so I’ll share two short and simple ones that I haven’t seen in the comments yet, both from near the beginning of NotW, and the first is the line right before Chronicler thinks about “the face of a man who has killed an angel” but I liked this one better, though I have to include the buildup for effect:

…..
    Chronicler took an eager step forward, sensing victory. “Some people say there was a woman—”
    “What do they know?” Kote’s voice cut like a saw through bone. “What do they know about what happened?” He spoke so softly that Chronicler had to hold his breath to hear.
    “They say she—” Chronicler’s words stuck in his suddenly dry throat as the room grew unnaturally quiet. Kote stood with his back to the room, a stillness in his body and a terrible silence clenched between his teeth. His right hand, tangled in a clean white cloth, made a slow fist.
    Eight inches away a bottle shattered. The smell of strawberries filled the air alongside the sound of splintering glass. A small noise inside so great a stillness, but it was enough. Enough to break the silence into small, sharp slivers. Chronicler felt himself go cold as he suddenly realized what a dangerous game he was playing. So this is the difference between telling a story and being in one, he thought numbly, the fear.

…..
    “Now.” Kvothe pushed the glasses toward them. “Take these drinks, sit at that table, and talk. When I come back, I don’t want to find either one of you dead or the building on fire. Fair?”

78. Teppic
    Posted May 17, 2011 at 3:02 PM | Permalink

I laughed when Kvothe outwits Elodin (I think it´s the first time that happens):
    (Elodin:) “How long do you think it will be before you can make yourself a ring of air?” I lifted up my naked left hand, fingers spread. “Who´s to say I´m not already wearing it?” Elodin rocked with laughter, then stopped when my expression didn´t change. His brow furrowed abit as he gave me a speculative look, eyes flickering first to my hand, then back to my face. “Are you joking?” he asked. “That´s a good question,” I said, looking him calmly in the eye. “Am I?”

79. MereShadow
    Posted May 18, 2011 at 8:29 PM | Permalink

I made account because this particular quote is quite rare. It’s on page 65 of tWMF and it goes like this… “‘Are you the one who broke the arm of that brat Ambrose Jakis?” she asked. She spoke Aturan with a thick, musical Modegan accent. While it made her a little difficult to understand, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t find it attractive. The Modegan accent practically sweats sex.”

-I laughed out loud when I read this line. When I read I smile a lot, and feel many different emotions. Laugh out loud? Maybe once every 5,000 or so pages. It caught me so off guard, I loved it. Kvothe is a true joy to read about and the book was phenomenal!

80. RedStarLeo
    Posted May 18, 2011 at 11:27 PM | Permalink

“In return I made a gesture that was not Ademic. By the narrowing of her eyes I suspected she managed to glean my meaning fairly well.”

And

“I broke that boy’s arm”, I said.
    “Hmm,” he rumbled darkly, “Forgot about that.”
    He reached into his pocket and brought out ha’penny. He handed it to me.
    “Much obliged!”

81. bubbawayne
    Posted May 19, 2011 at 2:39 AM | Permalink

My favorite…
    “A cat does not think of stretching, it stretches. But a tree does not even do this. A tree simply sways without the effort of moving itself. That is how She moved.”
    Such a beautiful line.

82. Ardaz
    Posted May 19, 2011 at 3:36 AM | Permalink

One of my favorites from The Wise Man’s Fear, from Elxa Dal:

“All the truth in the world is held in stories, you know.” Don’t have the book in front of me so I can’t remember the page, it’s soon before leaving the University.

Also, there’s a quote from Bast in his final conversation with Chronicler that reminded me a lot of a famous (and a little better) one from Angel: “If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do”. I don’t remember exactly how Bast said it, but it was something like “if it’s gonna end badly anyway, I’m gonna do what I want”.

83. pink_nessie
    Posted May 20, 2011 at 11:43 PM | Permalink

My turn! I won’t be redundant.

TWMF:

“I have been as patient as two stones together,” she said. “You are just in time. I could not be as patient as three stones.”

Guess who? xD

84. Kathraen
    Posted May 23, 2011 at 2:29 PM | Permalink

I have to say my favourite quote, or rather the one that sticks out the most, is that of the lightening. I honestly cannot tell you want part of Wise Man’s Fear it was in but it was as follows;
    “The tree doesn’t make the lightening, but everyone knows where the light will strike.” – Or at least something to that effect.

Thank you so very much for the pleasure of reading your book, it helped me de-stress after my A level exams!

85. Kris82069
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 11:45 PM | Permalink

NotW – page 628 – Denna

“You always know where you’re doing,” she said muzzily. “You’re important with your green eyes looking at me like I mean something. It’s okay that you have better things to do. It’s enough that I get you sometimes. Once in a while. I know I’m lucky for that, to get you just a little.”

**That ripped my heart out of my chest**

NotW – I don’t know the page or the exact quote but it has made me laugh everytime I’ve read the book which is numerous and I believe it is from Wilem

“He’s telling the truth, he sounds more sincere when he lies.”

86. tesimal
    Posted May 30, 2011 at 2:34 AM | Permalink

“It’s a dragon,” Denna whispered. “Tehlu hold and overroll us. It’s a dragon.”
    “It’s not a dragon,” I said. “There’s no such things as dragons.”
    “Look at it!” she hissed at me. “It’s right there! Look at the huge Goddamn dragon!”
    “It’s a draccus,” I said.
    “It’s Goddamn huge,” Denna said with a tinge of hysteria in her voice. “It’s a Goddamn huge dragon and it’s going to come over here and eat us.”
    “It doesn’t eat meat,” I said. “It’s an herbivore. It’s like a big cow.”

Denna, a few seconds later: “Mooooo.”

87. J Gold
    Posted May 30, 2011 at 11:59 AM | Permalink

There are so many great quotes from both books but here are two of my favorites.
    Kvothe justifying his sexcapades: “It is easier to understand if you think of it in terms of music. Sometimes a man enjoys a symphony. Elsetimes he finds a jig more suited to his taste. The same holds true for lovemaking. One type is suited to the deep cushions of a twilight forest glade. Another comes quite naturally tangled in the sheets of narrow beds upstairs in inns. Each woman is like an instrument, waiting to be learned, loved, and finely played, to have at last her own true music made.
    Some might take offense at this way of seeing things, not understanding how a trouper views his music. They might think I degrade women. They might consider me callous, or boorish, or crude.
    But those people do not understand love, or music, or me”

And Kvothe discussing music/love: “I have heard what poets write about women. They rhyme and rhapsodize and lie. I have watched sailors on the shore stare mutely at the slow-rolling swell of the sea. I have watched old soldiers with hearts like leather grow teary-eyed at their king’s colors stretched against the wind.
    Listen to me: these men know nothing of love. You will not find it in the words of poets or the longing eyes of sailors. If you want to know of love, look to a trouper’s hands as he makes his music.”

88. fishflinger
    Posted May 31, 2011 at 8:47 AM | Permalink

By far my total favourite part, after reading both your books, is:

“Anker gave me a bit of an uncomfortable look. ‘And what if it’s of an, umm, personal nature?’
    ‘Then I’ll dance a merry little jig,’ I said. ‘But between the two of us, I hardly think that’s likely.’”

89. Limpspagetti
    Posted May 31, 2011 at 7:09 PM | Permalink

A Wise Man’s Fear, pg.84
    Elodin looked at me as if I were an idiot. “Because I hate him.” He picked up the crystal decanter from the mantle and threw it violently against the back of the fireplace where it shattered. “The man is an absolute tit. Nobody talks to me like that.”

I was reading this on the way to Madison with my mother, when I burst out with laughter. Mr.Rothfuss, you are clearly a genious. Thank you so much for being awesome.

90. tin
    Posted June 2, 2011 at 2:38 PM | Permalink

Wow, too much to say all of them. I actually made dog ears at many of the most lovely scenes. I keep rereading them when I get visitors. I even phoned my dad to read him one or two pieces. I keep persuing my friends to read the book so that we can trade quotes back and forth… well, yeah, suffice to say i loved your book =) quotes are only from wmf, though, i lent notw to a friend of mine.

The bit about love, yes, it’s… beyond words really.
    and the plum bob scene… i was reading it with a friend and we cracked up laughing!

One of the most lovely ones was very long, though if it’s unfortunate or not it stands to reason. It’s the lower half of page 95, all to the end. The bit about timing. One of the best, ingenious and still cute pieces of literature i probably ever read.

“They were the best sort of friends. The sort everyone hopes for and noone deserves. Least of all me.”

The scene with puppet. Oh my god, that was so cool! Too long to quote though XD 296-297 almost all of it…

“I’d seen Simmon pursue nearly every woman within three miles of the university with the doomed enthusiasm of a child trying to fly”

At the beginning of his time in the fae. “My control slipped for a moment, and a less disciplined piece of my mind started composing a song for her.”

“Vashet told me you barbarians have strange rituals with your sex”, Penthe said. She told me, if I wanted to bed you, I should bring you to some flowers”

“And if the pursue of truth was my goal, that would concern me”. She gave a long yawn, stretching like a happy cat. “Instead I will focus on the joy in my heart, the prosperity of the school, and understanding the Lethani. If I have time after that, I will put it toward worrying on the truth”

91. shadowofthesoul
    Posted June 2, 2011 at 6:26 PM | Permalink

Definitely late to this party. I don’t have the books, but I’ll throw in what I can remember.
    NOTW
    “It was a dragon.” – Kvothe
    I loved the whole follow up about the white mutiny and Bast’s willingness to say what Kvothe wanted to hear.

“I didn’t mean to get into trouble so soon.” (probably mangled that) Kvothe to the Chancellor.

I can’t remember where this is, but it’s the passage of them (Kvothe, Wil, and Sim) being wise for being young on the way back from the Eolian.

The line about Wil being like a stone and Sim being a babbling brook from Denna.

“It is a word. Words are pale shadows of forgotten names” Elodin.
    I blogged about this a long time ago when I first read the book.

just like “words are pale shadows of forgotten names.” so too are names, but snapshots of ideas in that moment. I also have another blog on a similar subject. “name not what you wish to grow, for by naming it, you define it and by defining it you limit and capture it in its state”

Love your work Pat. thanks for sharing.

92. Istezada
    Posted June 3, 2011 at 1:48 PM | Permalink

So I’m a month late, but I’m listening to TNOW again and just discovered a Firefly reference buried deep on the road to Trebon and nearly poked myself with a knitting needle in surprise and delight. As memorable quotes go, it isn’t… but any man who can calmly reference excellent sci-fi in the middle of his excellent fantasy, the occurrence needs to be noted.

The tinker continued. “I need to get to the Evesdown docks.” He nodded to the east. “I’ve made arrangements to ship downriver and I’d dearly love to catch my boat.”

93. Posted June 9, 2011 at 6:57 PM | Permalink

The Name of the Wind is incredibly ‘quotable’.

The phrase ‘favourite character’ does make me cringe a little, I don’t know why, I think I don’t like the way that the words fit together so I’m going to refer to my ‘favourite character’ as, not a protagonist but a pro-tagonist (and I checked, the Oxford English Dictionary confirms that ‘tagonist’ is not already a word so it could, hypothetically, be put forward for this new ‘word void’). But, yes, Elodin is definitely my pro-tagonist. It would have been easier to choose Kvothe as my pro-tagonist as he is the narrator and therefore I’m not waiting for him to reappear but unfortunately you can’t ‘choose’ your pro-tagonist, and my mind chose Elodin, in approximately two sentences (it is a very impulsive mind!).

Personal favourites: pg305 TNOTW the exchange where Kvothe asks Elodin to teach him naming and he makes him search for pinecones.
    We had a little bit of nerdy chortle in my High School Physics class about ‘unlikely maths’ when we were studying the Heisenberg Uncertainty principle, gluon colour charge and quantum probability one lesson. We’d just realised how perfectly Elodin could be attributed the behaviour of an electron, one place one minute, another place the next but everywhere and anywhere, travelling every path simultaneously in-between the two instances! In honour we did go and finish the physics lesson on the field, still chortling about ‘unlikely maths’ much to the confusion of the one girl in the class who hadn’t read your book!

Elodin: You’re trying to get me to answer questions that you’re not asking. It’s not going to work.’
    Kvothe: ‘You’re trying to trick me into asking questions. It seems only fair.’

Elodin: Do you know why they call this place the Rookery? {Kvothe shakes head} Because it’s where you go if your a-ravin’

pg311-315 TNOTW I’m far too lazy to write out every quote on these pages that I adore as I fear that I might be here for a while and it’s rather hard to balance a book on your knee, read the book and type at the same time, especially when the book is as large and rebellious as this one is. When I read it first time I swear I got bulging hand muscles from holding it in one hand to read!

pg 602-607 TNOTW I tend to fall for large chunks of text which are awkward to regurgitate but I’ve put the page down on these pages (and a couple of others as well) so that it’s easy for me to return to them, which is testament to how well written they are. ‘All around me there was a great numbness, as if I were sealed in wax ten inches thick’ I have a great admiration for the manner in which you use language, you always seem to manage to recreate perfectly what you wanted to say, the image of how you wanted it to be.

There are, obviously, a couple of other sections that are my ‘key reads’, pages that I turn back too when I’m tired or upset, but I think that as a novel in it’s entirety, it’s pretty flawless. I must have read it at least ten times now, not to mention the times I’ve gone back to read specific pages or paragraphs. For me WMF is less ‘quotable’ right now because I haven’t had time to read it thoroughly yet. It’s bigger than the first and also I’m at that time of year where its examinations and am really waiting till summer to knuckle down and read it as it deserves to be read.

But, honestly, Elodin is my pro-tagonist. If I were to write down his sections, once for everytime that I were to read them, I feel that they would become as long as both books combined. It’s got to the point where I almost worry that I could quote them back without realising (don’t scoff, this has happened, Harry Potter Sorting Hat’s Song in Book 5, it was a sad day when I realised I’d accidentally memorised it! That was 6 years ago and it’s still perfectly intact in there!) And let’s be honest, who hasn’t tried to call the name of the wind at least once…or twice, or maybe twenty times *blushes, smiles sheepishly and hides her nerdy head from sight*

I have to say I did breathe a massive sigh of relief when you wrote that you had no intention of leaving your world behind, because otherwise I’d probably never have finished the third book (believe me, I have done this with other trilogies, got to keep the world alive y’know!) and sort of lingered in a state of ‘at least it hasn’t ended yet!’ I’m dreadfully curious if you’ve already thought about what you would like to write next and, forgive me if you’ve already answered this, random question alert, but do you listen to music when you write? Or…nature or something?

Merci beaucoup for the many hours of enjoyment!
    Katherine

94. Posted June 9, 2011 at 7:06 PM | Permalink

I wish there was a ‘like’ button for some of the other commenters posts! Hours of fun! Or…alternatively I could go read the books again :)

95. Lie
    Posted June 27, 2011 at 7:03 PM | Permalink

a meat pie or a fruit pie?

96. FreyjaElaya
    Posted June 29, 2011 at 6:18 PM | Permalink

Two quotes from NOTW, that I haven’t found on the last 3 pages:

“I think it’s nice,” my mother said, walking around from the back of the wagon. “Gives us the chance for something hot,” she gave my father a significant look, “to eat.”

and

Plainly said, he was giving me enough rope to hang myself with. Apparently he didn’t realize that once a noose is tied, it will fit one neck as easily as another.

97. pjgodwyn
    Posted June 30, 2011 at 8:24 PM | Permalink

My favorite from TWMF: “If whatever you are going to do is wrong, you might as well do whatever you want.” — Chronicler to Bast, p. 989

98. Lyrus
    Posted July 9, 2011 at 8:14 PM | Permalink

“I was one of ‘those’. I meddled with dark powers. I summoned demons. I ate the entire little cheese, including the rind.” – Kvothe pg 512 from TWMF

“Quite is not stupid,” he said, his vice flat. “You? Always talk. Chek chek chek chek chek.” He made a motion with one hand, like a mouth opening and closing. “Always. Like dog all night barking at tree. Try to be big. No. Just noise. Just dog.” – Tempi pg 527 from TWMF

99. dl516
    Posted July 13, 2011 at 2:34 PM | Permalink

pg 675, ch 104: My major contribution was the suggestion that it should have numerous little pockets.

Perhaps it was too late and I was slaphappy, but that made me laugh for minutes.

100. TommyT
    Posted July 24, 2011 at 12:30 AM | Permalink

There are a lot of quotes I’ve liked, though I figure most of them have been said at this point. There was one time Kvothe quoted some verse, though, I’m pretty sure while talking about Ambrose:

“Whilst demons lurking in the outer dark
    Looked on amazed and recognized
    That vengeance is the business of a man.”

Probably not perfect. I usually dislike poetry/song in fiction, but that one bit at least has stayed with me.