This is a Worldbuilders blog.
So over the last week the fundraiser galloped madly forward to the point where we’re already within spitting distance of 150K. So in addition to seeing the 100K bonus blog later this week, you’ll probably be seeing the 150K pretty soon too. That’s in addition to all the other coolness we already have lined up.
I’m hoping beyond hope that we might make it all the way to 250K this year. I’d really love be able to say, “We raised a quarter million dollars for Heifer international.”
Okay. Moving on. Today’s books.
I have a working theory that sci-fi and fantasy authors are among the coolest people around.
As proof of this, here’s a blog full of books donated by the authors themselves. Many of them signed, and with additional promotional items included.
- Three first edition hardcover copies of Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. Signed by the author.
Pat’s Note: I’ve already talked about how much I love this book. So I won’t go on and on again.
Except to say that I really loved it. And it’s awesome. And you should read it.
“Triggers memories and emotions embedded in the psyche of a generation…[Cline crafts] a fresh and imaginative world from our old toy box, and finds significance in there among the collectibles.” – Entertainment Weekly
- Six hardcover copies of Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. Signed by the author.
“The science-fiction writer John Scalzi has aptly referred to Ready Player One as a “nerdgasm” [and] there can be no better one-word description of this ardent fantasy artifact about fantasy culture…But Mr. Cline is able to incorporate his favorite toys and games into a perfectly accessible narrative.” – Janet Maslin, The New York Times
- One rare out-of-print first edition hardcover copy of Curse of the Mistwraith: The Wars of Light and Shadow, Vol. 1 by Janny Wurts. With matching laminated bookmark. Signed by the author.
“Curse of the Mistwraith continually takes turns that leave the reader excited and lost. But not in a bad way; there are only so many books you can read where you know exactly what will happen before boredom sets in. With Wurts, you are forever left guessing at the turn of events.” – UK Fantasy Book Review
- Two hardcover copies of To Ride Hell’s Chasm by Janny Wurts. Signed by the author.
- Two hardcover copies of Eon’s Door by J. G. McKenney. Signed by the author.
- One ARC of Range of Ghosts by Elizabeth Bear. Signed by the author.
This ARC will be published on March 27, 2012.
- Three copies of The Cloud Roads by Martha Wells. Signed by the author.
- One ARC of Shadow Ops: Control Point by Myke Cole. Comes with Supernatural Operations Corps collectible coin. Signed by the author.
Pat’s Note: This is an ARC of a book that won’t be coming out until the end of the month. As an extra bit of coolness, it comes with a challenge coin created specifically to promote the book.
“Cross The Forever War with Witchworld, add in the real world modern military of Black Hawk Down, and you get Control Point, the mile-a-minute story of someone trying to find purpose in a war he never asked for.” – Jack Campbell, New York Times Bestselling Author of The Lost Fleet series
- Ten copies of The Black God’s War by Moses Siregar III.
“Moses is a fine writer and is deserving of success, and I think that it will follow. I really enjoyed Moses’s work.” – David Farland, New York Times Bestselling Author
- One set of Cold Magic and Cold Fire by Kate Elliott. Signed by the author.
Pat’s note: Includes a signed printed pamphlet of Bonus chapter 31.5 which is currently online on Kate’s website or as one of 100 printed pamphlets.
“Elliott has concocted something very special and original here, with elements to tweak sci-fi and fantasy fans of nearly any stripe, from alt history and steampunk aficionados, to lovers of intrigue, romance, and swashbuckling adventure.” – New York Journal of Books
- One set of the Crossroads Trilogy by Kate Elliott: Sprite Gate, Shadow Gate, Traitors’ Gate. Signed by the author.
“Elliott crafts complex…characters, including strong women who persevere in repressive, non-egalitarian societies. She is equally adept at outlining intricate religions and myths. This promises to be a truly epic fantasy.” – Publishers Weekly
- One hardcover copy of The Wooden Man: A Twenty Palaces Omnibus by Harry Connolly. Signed by the author.
Pat’s Note: We actually have two copies of this book, but we’ll be auctioning the other one off in a couple weeks. Stay tuned for that.
“Excellent reading…a truly dark and sinister world, delicious tension and suspense, violence so gritty you’ll get something in your eye just reading it.” – Jim Butcher
- Two copies of Imperium: A Caulborn Novel by Nicholas Olivo. Signed by the author.
“The right amount of Gore, Humor, Love and Good vs Evil.” – Badass Book Reviews
- Two copies of Infidel by Kameron Hurley. Signed by the author.
- Two copies of The Seventh Tower: The Fall by Garth Nix.
- One hardcover copy of Abhorsen by Garth Nix. Signed by the author.
“Nix’s storytelling is never less than commanding, and his precision plot stays tightly focused. The icing on the cake, and a mark of a good writer becoming great, is the care taken to make peripheral characters into real people.” – SF Site
* * *
Remember, you for every 10 dollars you donate on the Worldbuilders Team Page, you get a chance to win everything here, not to mention the hundreds of other books that have already been donated.
What’s more, if you donate before January 31st of 2012, Worldbuilders will match 50% of your donation.
Spread the word…