A beautiful board for a beautiful game

I am constantly blown away by the amazing things you kind folks make, and even more impressed that you donate those works of art to Worldbuilders.

If you join me on Twitch you may have seen me share a lovely Tak board donated by Aaron Schmersal.

If you haven’t seen it you can get a good look here:

I’ll be giving this away as a prize for folks who donate to my page through the course of the fundraiser. Thanks to our super fun Afterparty you still have chances to donate and be entered into the drawing for all of the fun stretch goals!

Take a look at this lovely thing. It truly is a work of art.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. By Pat57 Responses

1. Posted December 19, 2019 at 3:58 PM | Permalink

You guys are great. I love what Worldbuilers does for the planet. I’m happy to play a small part and support you, Worldbuilders, and Heifer International each year.

This was a great fundraiser.

I hope your don’t mind if I share my description for this board here.

I’m calling this board Friendship Found.

The red paduk in the center 4×4 grid represents our fiery haired Kvothe; the center of the story. The deep black wenge that makes up the 6×6 grid represents Wilem. The 8×8 grid is made of leopard wood, which is meant to represent the sandy haired Simmon. The zebrawood circles that make up the 5×5 grid form a starburst pattern. This pattern is meant to represent Auri who is so beautifully bright and sunny.

The 7×7 grid is filled with wrought iron nails and is designed to be unplayable. If you speak of the seven, they come.

The title Friendship Found is a direct reference to the Eld Vintic poetry that Simmon speaks in the reading room of the archives.

“Sought we the Scrivani word-work of Surthur

Long-lost in ledger all hope forgotten.

Yet fast-found for friendship fair the book-bringer

Hot comes the huntress Fela, flushed with finding

Breathless her breast her high blood rising

To ripen the red-cheek rouge-bloom of beauty.”

• Curtis
      Posted December 19, 2019 at 7:38 PM | Permalink

This goes way deeper than I initially thought and I absolutely love it!

You’re a true artist.

• Susanne
      Posted December 29, 2019 at 5:57 AM | Permalink

This is so beautyful and it has a wonderful meaning

• Posted January 22, 2020 at 3:19 PM | Permalink

After reading both notw and wmf for the 5th time I realise how much work you put into them. Amazing. Honestly though the hidden clues only work if readers have years to decrip them. We have tried to decript dennas letter with the weird capital letters. We have tried decripting master ash and what’s behind the archive door. It’s time u give us so closure. U can give the next book 10 years as long as u give us some closure on the last one.

2. pea batt
    Posted December 20, 2019 at 6:48 AM | Permalink

dearest pat,

thank you for all your hard work on worldbuilders.

that outfit looks amazing on you. i hope you feel good wearing it

-p

• Joy
      Posted March 4, 2020 at 12:26 AM | Permalink

I check this blog often and am always pleased to read the updates, but this is the first time I’ve ever checked the responses and I have to say I am appalled. I’d wanted to leave a message about a NOTW themed animation I did and if it would be alright to show in some way but now…I think I would just like to leave one nice comment among the dregs of horrible, disrepectful responses from people. Even if, I hazard to guess, Pat really has zero reason to read these anymore.
      My comment is this: NOTW is my first favourite book that has stayed my favourite and didn’t change with whatever I read next. It has inspired my own writings, raised my standards for stories, and never fails to rekindle a love of magic in a world that seems so lacking in it these days. I am in awe of the work Mr Rothfuss and his team have done with worldbuilders, with Lin and the McElroys, and I can’t wait for whatever next installment comes in the series.
      Writing’s hard, man. Works like this make it seem worth it, though. This also came out very dramatic so I’m gonna end it with a *fingerguns*

• Joy
        Posted March 4, 2020 at 12:27 AM | Permalink

Actually there’s a lot of nice messages here I just didn’t scroll far enough lmao, but STILL

3. Black_Badger
    Posted December 20, 2019 at 9:44 AM | Permalink

Hello all,
    That board is amazing. It makes me happy that such a thing exists and that people can conceive of and craft such a thing are a part of our world. Love Worldbuilders for things like this!

Unrelated, has anyone here read the children’s book The Word Collector? It’s excellent!!! Reminds me of something Pat would share with us and that would make all of our kids happier and more positively in tune with the world. Highly reccommend a look!!!

Be well all –
    B_B

4. BOOK
    Posted December 24, 2019 at 10:36 PM | Permalink

That board would look better with a finished book. But no pressure…

• Adrian
      Posted January 10, 2020 at 8:54 AM | Permalink

I know this subject is taboo … but come on, that was funny ! Even Teal’c would crack a smile on that one.

• Patrick Gordon
        Posted January 17, 2020 at 7:16 AM | Permalink

They have to reboot Stargate.

5. Kevin
    Posted December 25, 2019 at 8:48 AM | Permalink

Ummm how do you play it???

6. Thomas
    Posted January 9, 2020 at 1:01 PM | Permalink

LOVE KKC and LOVE TAK! Im currently setting up a Call to Adventure game as I type this! I hope to have a Tak board very soon!

7. Camille Chaustre McNally
    Posted January 19, 2020 at 8:30 PM | Permalink

That haircut looks sharp!

8. Landry
    Posted February 12, 2020 at 8:43 AM | Permalink

Hey Pat, as a fellow boy dad, I just wanted to say I was touched and encouraged by how you interact with your boys and how they interact with you. You’re a great dad.

9. Martin Einig
    Posted February 17, 2020 at 6:47 AM | Permalink

An update on the Work for book 3 would be highly appriciated. No Release Date, Just an update on the current Status und Planner developments.

10. Ben from the UK.
    Posted March 2, 2020 at 11:23 AM | Permalink

I have been reading this blog for many years.
    I enjoyed your early stories on here as much the books.
    Met you in Oxford once, you were a top bloke.
    No other author has engaged me in this way, ever.

Time to turn the comments off mate.

• Jack from the island
      Posted March 4, 2020 at 6:30 PM | Permalink

Time he give us something mate

11. Kyle Bruce
    Posted March 2, 2020 at 3:40 PM | Permalink

It’s been 9 years and 1 day since WMF was released. You’ve had fans waiting for far more than that for Book 3. At what point is something better than nothing?

12. Brandon Starkerson
    Posted March 6, 2020 at 7:30 AM | Permalink

My “Facebook memory” from NINE YEARS AGO is a post about how I drove my son to Houston, Texas, so we could both meet Mr. Rothfuss at a book signing. We waited for over ten hours. We did finally meet him, and he politely signed our two hardcover copies of A Wise Man’s Fear.

Great memories. From almost a decade ago.

13. Pelle
    Posted March 9, 2020 at 4:46 AM | Permalink

Came here looking for info either on the third book or a link to ‘the hottest milf fuck ever’.

Was not disappointed.

14. Lee
    Posted March 11, 2020 at 6:54 PM | Permalink

“Dear Reader,

Patrick Rothfuss’ THE NAME OF THE WIND is the most brilliant first fantasy novel I have read in over thirty years as an editor. After reading the first hundred pages of the manuscript, I knew I had to publish this book.

THE NAME OF THE WIND begins the tale of Kvothe (pronounced “quothe”). It is the riveting narrative of a young man who becomes the most notorious magician his world has ever known. Kvothe tells his own story, from his childhood among a troupe of traveling players, to years spent as a near-feral orphan in a crime-ridden city, followed by his brazen yet successful bid to enter a difficult and dangerous school of magic.

Told in classic high fantasy style, THE NAME OF THE WIND is a masterpiece that carries a fresh and earthy originality all its own. It transports the reader to the interior of a wizard’s mind and to the world that helped create him. It is the story of a legendary hero and the truth that lies behind his legend. But Rothfuss also shows us how a hero can become ensnared in the very mythology he himself has brought to life.

To find a writer of great craft and breathtaking vitality is a rare occurrence. Patrick Rothfuss is that rarity. He will capture you with the power of Kvothe’s story and the robust beauty of his writing. Join me in welcoming a writer who will rank with Tad Williams, George R. R. Martin, Terry Goodkind, Robert Jordan, and Terry Brooks. Exciting and rousing, intimate and personal, THE NAME OF THE WIND doesn’t just describe what it is to be heroic, it is heroic.

Elizabeth Wollheim
    President and Publisher
    DAW Books”

I wonder how she fells about him now?

15. Rand Al Thor
    Posted March 16, 2020 at 9:45 PM | Permalink

Hello Pat :)
    Any news on the development on Doors of Stone ?
    Regards

16. Posted March 19, 2020 at 4:32 PM | Permalink

Wow, looks like it’s a great game to play during free time. I think that games unite people, you know when you`re at the party or with your family and you have nothing to do, you can just play. I like this most of all. Recently I’ve discovered that at https://spinsdeposit.com you can not only play for fun, but also earn some money. So, if you have some free time, try it.

17. margaretee
    Posted March 19, 2020 at 4:34 PM | Permalink

I would loveto play it!!!!!

18. mike
    Posted March 19, 2020 at 4:36 PM | Permalink

WOW!!!!!

19. Posted March 20, 2020 at 11:34 PM | Permalink

Anybody home? :)

20. Andrew
    Posted March 21, 2020 at 5:56 AM | Permalink

Stay safe from corona Pat.
    Do not leave your home
    We are all there for you anytime anywhere.

21. scott lynchester
    Posted March 23, 2020 at 7:14 PM | Permalink

excellent time to be working/finishing that book, don’t you think ?

22. Frenchie
    Posted March 23, 2020 at 8:20 PM | Permalink

Hello!

I’m always glad to hear some news (even when it’s been a while) and those board are magnificent! Your children seem nice, intelligent and cute. I’d hope to hear that the whole team are ok and let us get more news from you all in these hard times of confinement in Europe.
    I also hope I’m not a creepy fan…..

Hang in there and keep going forward with your lifes!

Best wishes,
    Frenchie Fan

23. Your friend in time.
    Posted March 27, 2020 at 2:33 PM | Permalink

Hey Pat,

No doubt these are troubled times, and I hope you are well, physically and mentally.

I find your discussions with Max on Unattended Consequences oddly soothing to listen to, and would not be unhappy if you had more, from an appropriate social distance :)

24. Posted March 30, 2020 at 11:44 PM | Permalink

thanks for sharing such a wonderful information from this post

25. eash
    Posted March 31, 2020 at 4:13 AM | Permalink

I hope you are doing well. I just wanted to say I miss you, and I miss hearing about your thoughts, and life on your blog. I know you’ve gone through tough times, and that can permanently change a person. And people on the internet suck, and don’t appreciate that you are a feeling human being. On top of that, you’re busy decreasing world-suck, and it can be a little weird to be so public about the details of your life, but I’d still love to hear what’s on your mind, happy or sad or something else.

Personally, my life’s been a mess. I’m always thinking about how to fix it, and fix myself, but it’s such a slow process. Most days I feel nothing at all, but on good days I’m glad to be alive. I watched Castlevania recently, and my God was it amazing. It’s definitely something I think you’d like. Covid’s made life a little more lonely. I never went out much anyways, but I miss going to cafe’s and book stores. On that note, it’s sad that it’s hard to find places like that anymore. I feel like modern life is so lonely, everyone’s always distracted, but maybe my depression just makes it hard to meet people I’d connect with. Where do people like you and vihart and Amanda Palmer and Neil gaiman and John and Hank Greene hang out? Maybe I need to become a better person myself first.

I can’t pretend to know you well based just on your books and online presence, no matter how much I wish that were the case. But I think I’d really really like you. Thank you for existing.

26. Williamnon
    Posted March 31, 2020 at 5:27 PM | Permalink

Hello. And Bye.

27. Bruce
    Posted April 2, 2020 at 5:12 AM | Permalink

Pat?
    [Knocks]
    Do you wanna share a blog post?
    An update on your book.
    We know that its not ready yet
    But we would like to get
    Another back scenes look.

We used to be your readers
    And now we’re not
    We wish you would tell us why!

Do you wanna share a blog post
    It doesn’t have to be a blog post…

[Silence]

Okay, bye…

[Knocks]

Do you wanna share a blog post?
    Or maybe leave a video
    We last heard that you were depressed
    And need a bit of rest
    But progress still is slow.
    (Hang in there, Pat!)

It gets a little lonely
    All these empty shelves
    Just watching the years pass by

[Knocks]

Pat, please we know you’re in there
    Please know we’re out here too
    They say “Be patient” and we’re trying to
    We’re right out here for you
    Just let us in

We only have each other
    It’s just you and us
    Help us to all help you…

Do you wanna share a blog post?

• X
      Posted April 2, 2020 at 8:44 AM | Permalink

You deserve silver talent pipes.

• scott lynchester
      Posted April 2, 2020 at 9:45 AM | Permalink

He doesn’t and he won’t and he don’t need your or our help.. He made his money, enjoying cruises, counting charity money and making swords and card and lot of stuff that nobody need or ask for… Get over it man.. Like you said, we’ve been patient for a very very long time for a supposed finished product but need a lil bit of polishing.. that’s what they used to say.. But alas, no response to our requests but a profound silence

• Zornorph
        Posted April 3, 2020 at 10:50 PM | Permalink

I don’t think he’s enjoying a cruise at the moment….

• scott lynchester
          Posted April 4, 2020 at 3:41 PM | Permalink

He did and he was on a cruise from his charity or related to it

• Leticia
      Posted April 9, 2020 at 8:31 AM | Permalink

In my head i’ve read it like like that FROZEN song, “Do you wanna build a snowman?”ahahha

28. belleACerY
    Posted April 2, 2020 at 4:08 PM | Permalink

Hi :). I am from Netherlands and i don’t know how can i disable my signature? Regards :)

29. Alex
    Posted April 5, 2020 at 11:01 AM | Permalink

I do not even know if Pat is reading these comments, should be very discouraging/depressing read (or infuriating :).
    I do not know if that TV/movie/Miranda deal still stands, but what I can tell Pat is: DO NOT COUNT ON IT. Never count on future dividends as if you have pocketed them already. What really counts is HERE AND NOW. And the future is uncertain – I bet every fan waiting for Book 3 could tell you that from their own 10+ years of experience.
    Best wishes and stay tight!

30. Russell Elliott
    Posted April 6, 2020 at 12:35 PM | Permalink

I just hope you and your family are doing well. I am sure all of your fans would love a post just giving us an update on ho your are doing and if you are up to any fun things. Stay safe

31. Posted April 9, 2020 at 11:07 AM | Permalink

gay sex cam [url=https://bestonlinesexwebcams.com]dog sex webcam [/url] reallife cam sex.

• Reaper
      Posted April 9, 2020 at 1:30 PM | Permalink

good job :) That’s what i was looking for

• Yea
        Posted April 9, 2020 at 3:26 PM | Permalink

Was not1 disappointed

32. Posted April 9, 2020 at 6:56 PM | Permalink

best cam sites [url=https://adultcamsites1.com]adultcamsites1[/url] best amateur cam sites.