A Deeply Mediocre Blog with Truly Excellent Art

Heya Everybody,

As I write this on Saturday night, our Geeks Doing Good sale has just crested up over $95,000.

I feel pretty good about that. This is a hard time to do fundraising, and it’s a hard time to do things that are lighthearted and fun. I’ve done a bunch of streams with cool folks to help bump things around….

…by most metrics we’re killing it.

But at the same time, deep down, I know I haven’t done a very good job about spreading the word to y’all. Back in the day, I would have managed to post up a blog that talked in depth about all the awesome we have for sale up in there on the very first day of the fundraiser. Lots of details and effusive praise and good pictures that *really* show things off to good effect.

I haven’t managed that this year. And it’s so galling to me because I know a lot of you would be really interested in this stuff if only I was better at bringing it to your attention.

For example, Marc Simonetti is letting us use the art from some of the French editions of the books to make some nice high-quality art prints.

Prints like this:

And this:

And this…

They’re a super cheap introductory price over in the Indigogo, and on top of that, you can get all of them in a 3-pack for even less…

We’ve got First Edition Hardcover copies of Jim Butcher’s Peace Talks for sale there, with special bookplates designed by Nate Taylor:

AND Satine Phoenix:

(You get to pick which one you want.)

Also four new t-shirts, including one like this:

If you’re feeling crafty, we have this:

I could go on and on… We’ve got arted-in copies of Slow Regard, limited-edition board games, book upon books, fancy Tak sets…

There’s just a for-real lot of stuff over there.

Sorry I’m not getting this blog up sooner. And sorry that it’s not prettier, or more complete. Or funnier. But it’s already almost 1 am, and I haven’t had any dinner yet tonight, and I’m worried if I don’t post this now, it will end up getting added to the 200+ half-finished blogs I know I’ll never finish.

That’s all I’ve got except to remind y’all that there’s only two days left to grab some cool geeky swag and make the world a better place at the same time.

If you haven’t gone over to look yet, please check it out. Especially the Brand-New game bundle that’s our new featured item. We only posted that up on Friday.

And now, bed for me…

This entry was posted in a ganglion of irreconcilable antagonisms, cool things. By Pat87 Responses

1. Karen Doerksen
    Posted July 19, 2020 at 2:45 AM | Permalink

This is Fantastic Pat! I need 2 get some those book plates! Also, when I told my Wisconsin friend I had just finished Wise Mans Fear on Facebook, they said they knew you well because their sister Sarah was you “ex”? And I thought that cannot be true, they were so cute singing together not too long ago. This person is just trying to “fake news” ;) me I think, that would be so sad for Oot and Cutie Snoo and youre such a great father! But I just am tired of people spreading rumors about yuo and keep on acting like theyre entitled to your book like that troll Jomi. Write at your own pace, we love you Pat!

2. braddo
    Posted July 19, 2020 at 2:49 AM | Permalink

Fuck the haters Pat, your the best! Insay every time guys like Jomi write those bad comments you play Disco Elysum instead for a day:)))))

3. T
    Posted July 19, 2020 at 6:26 AM | Permalink

I set up RSS to your blog some time ago, even though you rarely wrote a thing back then, I just didn’t want to miss it if you do. When the RSS icon lit up this week, I was so happy! And then it lit up again and again, every day. Thank you for writing again.

4. Pauliina
    Posted July 20, 2020 at 2:31 AM | Permalink

Wow, what a wonderful surprise after checking in your blog semi-regularly for years to see some new posts! These little snippets are exactly the thing I’ve been missing. Hope you are doing well, cheers from Finland.

5. Jesse
    Posted July 20, 2020 at 9:37 AM | Permalink

Pat, thanks for starting the blog posts again. I used to check your blog every day at work for new posts. I know the fundraisers are both important to you and important in and of themselves, but I hope you also bring back some direct fan interaction. I liked the posts of fan art, and book photo contests, and things like that you used to do too.

I know you catch crap about book 3, but there is a silent majority out there still being patient. I’m actually re-reading both books right now, in the middle of book two, and noticing things I haven’t in previous reads. I don’t want to see book 3 until it’s perfectly ready to go.

6. Fabiano
    Posted July 20, 2020 at 12:16 PM | Permalink

Dear Pat, I hope you are doing fine. I can wait 10 more years for book 3, but after 7 months without a blog post I was starting to worry. Have a nice day and hear you soon.

• joaquin
      Posted July 20, 2020 at 10:10 PM | Permalink

did you feel it yet ?

7. Madelon
    Posted July 20, 2020 at 1:36 PM | Permalink

Dear Patrick, it brings me great joy to see you blog again. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, ideas and adventures and I hope you are well. Stay safe!

8. Jeremy G
    Posted July 20, 2020 at 4:47 PM | Permalink

I started writing an impassioned defense of Pat and his team to what’s going on in the comments, but in the end it’s not worth the effort.

All I want to say is fuck the haters! I appreciate the hell out of you and your team and all the good you’ve done. I got to volunteer once to help with packing prizes and they were some of the most awesome people I’ve had the pleasure of meeting.

Thank you for being a decent human and giving us an avenue to do the same!

9. Kate H.
    Posted July 20, 2020 at 6:02 PM | Permalink

What you shared here matters. Your voice matters. This blog led me to support WorldBuilders and as a perk get my husband a Christmas present from one of his favorite authors (Peace Talks with the signed bookplate!!!). Take care of yourself and know that your community will be here and enjoy hearing from you when you’re able to speak.

10. Khazidhea
    Posted July 21, 2020 at 1:35 AM | Permalink

Thanks Pat! Managed to get in with less than an hour to spare! Would’ve backed more, but it looks like there’s no way to make multiple orders at once, and I’d rather not pay the international shipping fee each time (but if there’s a way to do so after the fact, will happily add some posters in to the existing order).

11. Posted July 21, 2020 at 2:35 PM | Permalink

It’s good to see you writing blogs.

Your fundraiser was a huge success!

Take a break, we love you.

12. Tony
    Posted July 21, 2020 at 8:48 PM | Permalink

Don’t give up on telling us more good things. :)

• TackoFallDown
      Posted July 22, 2020 at 12:31 AM | Permalink

He only talks during fundraisers

• the observer
      Posted July 23, 2020 at 3:50 PM | Permalink

And history repeat itself… So sad really.. I can’t understand why people don’t see that the only times that this guy write/blog, stream or else is ONLY to ask for money. And if you pay attention closely, you’ll notice as well, as soon as the fundraising end, he goes back to his cave and radio silence.
      Add to that, no thank you for your contribution, nothing, nada, zero…
      Well actually he will blog again in november or so for more money to his ”charity”

13. Lora Waring
    Posted July 23, 2020 at 9:26 AM | Permalink

Pat, don’t beat yourself up. Please? Enough of that is going on….
    My mom is dying. And I remembered your blog about your dad….thank you. You help SO much more than you realize. Just cut yourself some slack. Hug the family. A lot. And then some more. We’ll be here when you have a chance to visit. Much love to you and yours.

14. Mark Jacobsen
    Posted July 23, 2020 at 3:02 PM | Permalink

Thanks for the update Pat. My father just went through months of chemo for anteparietal gland cancer, but it was not successful and really withered him down to nothing. He’s in palliative care now, I visit him every day I can – I text him whenever I’m not around, but he’s not tech saavy so he never responds. But yesterday, while I was at work, I received this text from him:

‘Son I am proud of you. Thank you for caring for me all these months.’

And I broke down right then and there in loud, gasping sobs. It just made me realize – with those few words, just then, he had typed more words to me than you have typed for Doors of Stone all year

• Not. Cool.
      Posted July 29, 2020 at 12:44 PM | Permalink

Oh wow. What is wrong with you?!

• nidole
        Posted July 30, 2020 at 11:23 AM | Permalink

Nothing’s wrong with him, it’s called freedom of speech. He didn’t curse or nothing…
        The question is what’s wrong with YOU and some other fella…

• JG
      Posted July 30, 2020 at 7:23 AM | Permalink

I love this comment. Made my day. I love Patrick Rothfuss and loved his books but now I don’t care. Patience has a limit and I think I am done now. Even if the book comes out eventually, I probably won’t be as passionate about it as I was until recently.
      Yes, though you comment brought a smile on my face.

15. Jacob
    Posted July 23, 2020 at 7:07 PM | Permalink

How do I pre-order the doors of stone?

• Trilogy means three
      Posted August 22, 2020 at 12:31 PM | Permalink

Freeze yourself for 100 years, then buy all of the books you missed and pray to god The Doors of Stone will be out by the time you’re done reading.

16. Sandra
    Posted July 24, 2020 at 3:23 AM | Permalink

If “Name of the Wind” have a Book Nook Art… what would be in there? o.o

17. Krivokapic Andrej
    Posted July 24, 2020 at 5:51 PM | Permalink

Keep up the good work 💪🙏💪

18. Micah J Turner
    Posted July 26, 2020 at 2:07 PM | Permalink

Have you considered answering non-spoiler questions for charity? For example, I’ve got 3. I’b buy them, well, donate to worldbuilders, $10 for each satisfactory* answered question.

*A satisfactory answer constitutes a short story maybe possibly in someway related to the question. An unsatisfactory answer is like, yup that’s a valid question. That’s a fine answer, just not one I feel is worth $10.

Here are the questions

1. I’m in a long distance relationship and my partner and I often use emoticons to add emotional context to the written word. Did your experience as a writer of things (e.g. describing emotions with text), and the Advent of emoticons specifically, inspire the hand gestures of the Adem language?

2. Hypothetically, let’s say an Adem shopkeeper wakes up in the morning and is having a no good very bad time of it. Maybe a late night party or the common cold is the cause. Regardless, the Adem goes to work, the first customer of the day comes in, the Adem says “Morning” and gives the hand gesture for bright friendly smile.

Is being deceptive about emotion as common in Ademre as it is, in say, corporate America?

3. Thinking about the shopkeeper repeating the same bright friendly smile hand gesture over and again on a 30 year time line has me wondering if you have made notes about the impact of arthritis on Ademre culture somewhere.

Actually, hold on a second:: I seem to remember there was some kind of of balm/tincture used after Kvothe cut his hand on the sword tree leaf. There is a story I remember you telling of having a detailed economic system, but what makes it into the books is like a single coin. Is the balm/tincture used on Kvothe’s hand the proverbial coin from your write-up of Arthritis and Ademre medicine?

Let me know if you are interested in my $10 donation/question proposal. I think you get my email when I submit the post.

• J
      Posted July 26, 2020 at 8:33 PM | Permalink

Good post. There’s a lot to say here. Best of luck on getting a cool answer. Maybe in November. 😒

19. JJ
    Posted July 28, 2020 at 12:54 AM | Permalink

Will you make a post in reply to Betsy Wollheim’s post about not receiving a word of book 3? I recall a draft posted up in 2013 and understand you were not satisfied. I perused your old blogs, read about book 2’s delay. I hate that you have this burden to bear, it makes me almost tear up that something that must have given you so much joy at a time has basically turned into an engine of hate against you. Don’t take my advice, who the fuck am I right? But you wrote a blog once and basically laid it all out straight X wasn’t working, I wrote 60k in 6 weeks the book needed because it needed it for x or y reasons. You don’t owe people anything, fuck it, you only live once. But if you felt like placating your fans, I imagine something along those lines would do the trick. Anyway, that’s all. I hope you and your family are safe and weathering the madness that America seems to be from an outside observer.

20. Sergey
    Posted July 28, 2020 at 3:27 PM | Permalink

Oh, Pat :(
    We still love you. And will always be.
    Just a reminder.

21. Ray Dahlia
    Posted July 28, 2020 at 3:47 PM | Permalink

Hey Pat,
    I don’t expect you’ll read this, but just in case you need to hear it –
    I love your work. You inspired me to finally try to become an author. Your books have given me so much joy.

Thank you for everything you’ve contributed to the world. You rock, man.

Always,
    -Ray

22. E
    Posted July 29, 2020 at 11:34 AM | Permalink

Do you not think radio silence is a bit unfair to all the people who have held loyal faith over the years. You don’t owe anyone an update but it would be a nice gesture to do. You ask people to donate to your charity and support you all in all do, they are just asking for a little something in return. You can’t pretend not to hear their voices and just look the other way. Then ask for something from them when you want it.

23. george
    Posted July 29, 2020 at 11:51 AM | Permalink

Hey there,
    Don’t choose the easy way… deleting comments that only speak the truth shows only the lack of a strong backbone. Face the truth, be honest and come forward to your (remaining) fans, it’s the only sane way to resolve this. Meditate on that for a minute before deleting this one too.

24. Camille Chaustre McNally
    Posted July 29, 2020 at 12:40 PM | Permalink

Hey Pat,

I heard that you’ve been posting blogs more often recently! Go you! I hope they’re bringing you joy. I’m an epidemiologist, and things have been… rough recently. Thanks for posting good things. And just so you know, you can post bad things too? Life is life.

Your family is beautiful as well.

Yours,
    Camille

25. Greg
    Posted July 29, 2020 at 4:56 PM | Permalink

The first ones asking about it are still there George. They didn’t delete comments that speak truth. Just the abusive ones as they should have been. Anyone who thinks a comment demanding he reply will pan out or think they’re bringing him brand new information is delusional.

26. AlbinoYeti
    Posted July 29, 2020 at 9:49 PM | Permalink

Hey Pat!
    I know being a creative isn’t easy, especially when people are rude and distracting. I found the series a few years ago and I’m super excited to read the 3rd book, whenever it comes out. I hope you take all the time necessary to make it the best it can be. People often forget that the best things are worth the wait, however long it may be.

27. Naia
    Posted July 31, 2020 at 4:07 AM | Permalink

It’s Okay Pat. Sorry.

28. Ixi
    Posted July 31, 2020 at 11:10 AM | Permalink

Hello, i have 2 questions:
    1) Do you have an Instagram account?
    2) is it posible to buy one of your books and get it signed by you?

29. Jason
    Posted August 2, 2020 at 1:19 PM | Permalink

So happy to hear from you on here, Pat. I still check the for new blogs pretty much daily (on your blog and Gaiman’s). Sometimes I miss a day, sometimes I check multiple times a day, so it all balances out.

The jam video is hysterical. Your annoyance and frustration are far too believable. (“What about that pairs naturally with a breakfast condiment?!”)

30. Waiting
    Posted August 5, 2020 at 8:49 PM | Permalink

WHAT.

You wrote two AMAZING books out of 3. How can you apologize to us – the vast majority of whom just want the book – about spending productive time on other things?

You’re a free person – spend your time on what you want. But don’t delude anyone that the vast majority of those who know your name want more fund raisers.

31. john locke
    Posted August 6, 2020 at 7:26 PM | Permalink

Hey Pat,

You mentioned that your parlay with Lionsgate took you 18 months to finish. So that you have secured the movies and shows, can you update us about Doors of stone ?

32. Patrick Nothfuss
    Posted August 10, 2020 at 2:13 PM | Permalink

Does anyone know what was written in the comments of One Good thing #3 to make Pat close down the comment section on that one? Or was it just a pre-emptive measure?

Also book 3 and stuff please….

• the gemini
      Posted August 10, 2020 at 7:18 PM | Permalink

the latter, he didn’t want to take any chances to let people write hurtful comments in that thread… though i never saw any person went sideways when his blogs are more personal or regarding his family.
      But don’t expect any news about the book.. He didn’t even address the comments made by his publisher let alone giving you updates… Move on with your life mate, forget about it and maybe one day you’ll hear about it but then you’ll be like…meh :D

33. M
    Posted August 12, 2020 at 2:12 AM | Permalink

Whenever I sometimes read this blog, I do not wonder about book 3 anymore. I wonder about Patricks health, and worry about him being depressed or having serious mental issues. And then, I forget about my wishes for book 3 (which I do still have) and hope for all the best for him, his wife and his kids.

Because I understand that all the people longing for DoS can be a real burden sometimes, especially after 10 years. And I hope that Patrick knows that although also I am waiting for book 3, I can forget it if if not publishing it (anytime soon) would be a solution for his health and future.

• george
      Posted August 14, 2020 at 9:22 AM | Permalink

People worry about his health and all… they just made me laugh, honestly. He’s a millionaire and have all the money in the worls to take care of himself and his family… Worry about yourself and people who don’t have the means… He’s been living the dolce vita for more than a decade so please, cut the crap and be empathic for people that DESERVE it.

34. JD
    Posted August 18, 2020 at 4:32 PM | Permalink

Your metaphor is false. No one is saying he needs a new or more successful job. They’re saying he should continue to do the job he already had and, frankly, finish a job he’s left undone. Legally and financially he owes his fans nothing (his publisher might be a different story). But from an ethical standpoint we payed for the first two books on the promise – from him – that there would be a third (some of us multiple copies of each book including audio versions and collectors editions), a promise unfulfilled and unlikely to ever be kept at this point.
    Also, “get a life”? Projection much?

35. Alex
    Posted August 20, 2020 at 8:44 AM | Permalink

The right way is to ping the publisher because most likely there is some contract involved. If Pat wouldn’t talk about it there is no reason to continue buggering him.

36. Matt
    Posted August 21, 2020 at 7:42 AM | Permalink

I made a calm comment on this post about how I can see both sides of the book three argument. I also thanked Pat for the name Auri and mentioned I’d named my daughter after her and was happy to do it. That comment seems to have been deleted.

• george
      Posted August 21, 2020 at 11:23 AM | Permalink

I guess you should only see HIS side of the book 3 argument lmfao
      Congrats for your daughter :)

37. Andy
    Posted August 21, 2020 at 11:18 PM | Permalink

Pat,

This year for Christmas we took a portion of the money we were going to spend on the kids and instead bought a cow through worldbuilders. They got “their cow” on Christmas morning and then got to learn that because they received a few less presents, a family that really needed help now could have milk everyday (my kids love milk, we go though about 10 gallons a week). They thought it was cool and then resumed their regular Christmas activities.

Today I received a package from worldbuilders containing a couple of books, a started deck for a storytelling game, and most of all a letter signed by you. I am a 39 year old man with 5 kids and was totally stoked, running around the house and showing it to them and explaining who you were and how cool it was that you actually took the time to sign it yourself. It totally made my day, it was like Christmas in August, and I just wanted to let you know it was very much appreciated.

I appreciate that you care enough to do that, Thank You!

38. Floris van Merkesteyn
    Posted August 22, 2020 at 8:10 AM | Permalink

Scraggly things. Like unkempt carpet tickling the passerby against his expressed wishes. But i just wanted to look if it’s ready, if it’s ripe. Now my feet are covered in lint. I’ll have my mice make sweaters for their kids from it. So they can spend the winter wrapped in dreams of what might be.
    Oh shit, i forgot to buy cheese.

39. VALERIE
    Posted August 24, 2020 at 12:57 PM | Permalink

How long until an honest update about the book ?

• Methuselah
      Posted September 14, 2020 at 4:09 PM | Permalink

I have been waiting since 2011.

40. bill
    Posted August 26, 2020 at 7:47 PM | Permalink

I started reading Book 1 this weekend, just off and on. I was enjoying it, so I thought I would look up a bit about the author and the series. This led me down the same path that many of you have no doubt followed for many years and the discovery that the final book is like 10 years over due or something.
    Thankfully, I am only about a third of the way through the book. It won’t be a problem to ditch it for something else. I, like most of you, have been down this road already with Song of Ice and Fire. There is no point putting myself in a situation where I am waiting an absurd amount of time for a story to end.
    The respective authors have the outlines, know how the stories end and have plenty of time to do lots of other things, even other writing. So, it seems naive to believe that the delays in finishing these series are in any way normal or reasonable. There is obviously something else at work here. My best guess would be that the authors fear some sort of emptiness in their lives if they finish their works. I also suspect that the angst and frustration of their readers feeds into their megalomania.
    I feel bad for those of you who have waited this long. If the trilogy ever gets finished, I am sure I will enjoy reading it then.
    In the meantime, anyone else recommend any good sci-fi or fantasy books?

• Joliolin
      Posted August 27, 2020 at 12:00 AM | Permalink

Everyone will recommend you the basic stuff like sanderson and Jordan. I think they’re ok, but cliche and flat. If you like spectacle, go for it.
      I would really reccomend Malazan, Black Company, First Law (got fans love this) and Dresden files. If you want more info just reply and I’ll ttyl.

• Bill
        Posted August 29, 2020 at 1:08 PM | Permalink

I was considering Dresden (are they Glen Cook?) I loved the Black Company. Malazan was excellent, although I found it a difficult read. I keep meaning to give First Law a shot.

I ended up starting Mistborn. I had not read anything of Sanderson aside from the last few Wheel of Time. So far, it is ok, not as good as Name of the Wind, but I won’t be waiting in futility for 10 years either :)

The more I read about this author, the attitude towards the readership and the “charity”, it really makes me wonder whether there will ever be a book 3.

• Chsae
          Posted August 31, 2020 at 10:51 AM | Permalink

I’ve read all of Sanderson’s books. Some are better than others. The biggest draw for me is that his universe (Cosmere) connects most of his books (Mistborn, war breaker, Elantris, Way of Kings etc) Most authors write in one word, his explores literally a universe. Additionally, I appreciated the fact that Mistborn does not end after the trilogy. He has a more modern era Mistborn trilogy with plans on a third trilogy taking place in the future. Its interesting seeing the evolution of a magic system in conjunction with technology.

• Greg
          Posted September 8, 2020 at 1:34 PM | Permalink

Be a fan or not of whomever you want but there is literally nothing wrong with the charity. Those claims have been completely debunked and are part of a hate campaign so please don’t continue to spread mis-information.

• Sergey
            Posted September 10, 2020 at 1:35 PM | Permalink

Were these debunkments published somewhere?

• Chsae
      Posted August 27, 2020 at 1:00 PM | Permalink

The Licanius Trilogy by James Islington is a good read. The series is complete. Brent Weeks has a couple of completed series as well (Night Angel and Lightbringer)

• Bill
        Posted August 29, 2020 at 1:04 PM | Permalink

Never heard of those, Thanks!!

• Alex
      Posted August 29, 2020 at 2:36 PM | Permalink

Robin Hobb has EXCELLENT (and huge – 16 books in total) Elderling series which is amazing read and a very high-quality prose. It’s one hell of a ride.

41. Jerry Smith
    Posted August 27, 2020 at 8:42 PM | Permalink

In an interview a while back Pat mentioned he was working on a book in Temerant called Lanaeyel(?) Young Again (beautiful title by the way) about an older woman who decides to embark on an adventure in her later years that sounded really interesting but said his editor would rather him work on book 3 1st even though LYA was quite far along. Honestly Lanaeyel Young Again sounds more interesting to me than book 3. I wish people would just support Pat as a writer and let him work on what he wants instead of insisting on one thing. He would be happier, you would be happier. He would be much more likely to write something for people to enjoy in the Kingkiller downtime as he whittles away at that series and crafts it into something he is proud of. Maybe Lanaeyel becomes some people’s favorite book. Maybe once Doors of Stone is released he will be so sick of the fantasy community he will never write again and the world will be a sadder place. Sadder than it already is. Just another example of the bad crushing the will of the good under their selfish heels. Save those heels for somebody who actually deserves it. If you’re the type who would get angry at me for asking you to be kind to a man who’s only ‘crime’ is not writing a book (think about that carefully), then I hate to say it but you have a serious problem, and every second you decry his not working on Doors of Stone is a second you should be spending working on yourself.

42. Bart
    Posted September 2, 2020 at 10:43 AM | Permalink

Bring back the “One Good Thing” posts. Those were nice for a brief time!

43. Noah
    Posted September 5, 2020 at 3:07 PM | Permalink

Please say something. We as your fans really would like to hear an update.

44. Cedric
    Posted September 6, 2020 at 9:48 PM | Permalink

Pat, anything at all…. please.

45. Fran
    Posted September 9, 2020 at 8:02 PM | Permalink

So excited for the Third Day of “The King Killer Chronicle”

46. Disappointed