NOTW Art Deck: Updates and Timelines

Hey there folks,

It’s been a busy couple months. I know I said that in my last blog, but it’s more true than usual.

As proof, here’s a picture of my calendar, slightly redacted:

(Red days I spent traveling)

While I’ve been running around like a chicken with my head cut off, my team has been busily working on the Name of the Wind Art Deck. Art has been finalized, orders have been placed, and physical proofs have arrived in our grubby little hands.

(This is some pretty swank shit, right?)

If you backed the project, you’ve probably already seen some of this stuff in the updates we posted. But I figured I’d share it in case you’re like me and never read your kickstarter updates.

(Actual footage of the proofing process.)

So… yeah. The good news is that things are coming along well. The decks are shaping up beautifully, and there have been no major catastrophes.

The bad news is that it looks like the decks will be shipping out about 6 weeks behind schedule.

We’d intended to begin shipping at the end of this month, but we won’t actually be able to begin shipping until June. It’s not a huge delay, but it IS a delay, so I wanted to give you guys a heads up, and be as honest and transparent as possible.

First off. I just want to say I’m sorry. I really would have liked this to ship on time.

Secondarily, given how kickstarters frequently go, you know this is really good, right? Especially as is the first kickstarter Elodin Enterprises has run on our own. And it ended up way bigger than we expected. I don’t feel *too* bad about six weeks.

Also, not to be a dick or anything, but y’all know who I am, right? I mean seriously. Six weeks late? You should be dancing a fucking jig at the news that something I’m making is *only* six weeks late.

That said, I really am sorry. I wish we could have hit our mark. If only to prove I’m not always late.

Why is it late? Simple. We took an extra month and a half to work on the art. When we got to the end of our budgeted art development time, there were a couple cards I wasn’t in love with. I know art is subjective and all that. But I wanted every card to be as close to perfect as possible. So I made the call and we took the extra time.

And honestly? I’m glad we did. Because we got this:

Anyway, that’s the status of the cards. Just thought y’all would like to know….

Best,

This entry was posted in Echo Chernik. By Pat117 Responses

1. TomHC3
    Posted April 23, 2018 at 6:30 AM | Permalink

I’d rather it be delayed and perfect, than rushed. Thanks for the update

• cynrtst
      Posted April 23, 2018 at 9:25 AM | Permalink

Ditto. That goes for everthing you do, Pat.

• juion
      Posted April 23, 2018 at 11:10 AM | Permalink

Definitely agree. Six weeks late is basically on time for q Kickstarter, anyways.

2. VGFsirius
    Posted April 23, 2018 at 7:04 AM | Permalink

So shiny

3. Laitainon
    Posted April 23, 2018 at 8:46 AM | Permalink

I agree with TomHC3, take the time you need to make sure you’re happy with the result. I’d rather have them a couple weeks or months late and look at them happily for years, than get them sooner but less awesome.

Also, thank you very much for letting us know. I appreciate the openness!

4. khil1
    Posted April 23, 2018 at 9:27 AM | Permalink

I’m more interested in spying on your calendar… March 12 – 16, *redacted* Room? Hmm, what room did they lock you in for 5 days Pat? Blink at least twice if you need help.

6 weeks is a nothing delay in the long run and a better product for a minor delay is worth it.

• Posted April 23, 2018 at 1:22 PM | Permalink

I was just watching the movie The Room on repeat for all that time… They Ludavico’d me into a chair in Cleveland and hit me for 108 hours straight.

• James
        Posted May 29, 2018 at 2:07 PM | Permalink

I’m glad they released you before you hit the 127 hour mark. That could have been disastrous.

5. Posted April 23, 2018 at 12:43 PM | Permalink

In time, people will forget if it was late. They’ll never forget if it was wrong.

Don’t beat yourself up too much, the art looks amazing and I am excited to see the final result!

• Posted April 23, 2018 at 1:20 PM | Permalink

Yup. That’s what Tim Powers said to me once about my book. It was great advice….

6. Jsherry
    Posted April 23, 2018 at 2:50 PM | Permalink

I backed a Kickstarter for an kids’ RPG that was almost 5 years behind schedule, so I’d say you’re doing all right. My son aged out of being interested in it, but the end result was gorgeous, with tons of colorful artwork and a hefty starter box. So, while it didn’t work out the way I hoped, I’m happy to have contributed to its existence.

• Posted April 24, 2018 at 3:13 AM | Permalink

Oof. That’s rough. But good on you for looking on the bright side.

What’s the name of the RPG?

• Jsherry
        Posted April 25, 2018 at 12:35 PM | Permalink

It’s called Storm Hollow. I actually think you would particularly like it, since the focus is on storytelling. I was hoping to entice my son and his friends into gaming and RPGs before sports got to them (I did manage at least manage to get a few games of Catan out of them, eventually).

I actually just read the GeekDad review, which says: “I want to tell you what Storm Hollow isn’t. It is not a typical board game. Sure, it has a couple boards and lots of cards. And quite a few markers and pieces and dice, but at the core Storm Hollow is an RPG. It is a game of guided storytelling that lets the narrator/storyteller weave a spell of magic for her adventurers to complete with their choices and their imaginations.” Their 2-part review has tons of pics of the artwork and game pieces in the (truly giant) box.

• Posted April 27, 2018 at 12:51 PM | Permalink

Awesome. Thanks so much.

• Posted July 6, 2018 at 6:20 PM | Permalink

It was just nominated for 2 ENnie awards (Best Family Product and Best RPG-related Product), so if you’re going to Gen Con, you might see a copy of it there – definitely worth looking at. Apparently, the game isn’t going into production after the Kickstarter, so it’s hard to find for less than $250.

• SporkTastic
          Posted May 22, 2018 at 3:17 AM | Permalink

I must find this. Yes.

7. decat13
    Posted April 24, 2018 at 6:28 PM | Permalink

Cool. Thanks for the update.

8. Brady Dill
    Posted May 8, 2018 at 9:03 AM | Permalink

I used to visit your blog every day, about four years ago, because sometimes you just wrote about your day or your thoughts on politics or sex or parenting or writing or whatever. I really loved just reading what you thought about whatever you were thinking about.

Over the past few years, there were more and more promotional posts for your products and projects. I came to hear you write, and instead got ads and your assistants’ verbiage and Kickstarters galore. And I care about some of them – Torment and Tak – but I miss just hearing you ramble about random shit. That time you tried to boil coffee into an extra-concentrated form, or Oot stories, or that time you tried to do NaNoWriMo and some horrendous subhuman was vanquishing you while playing Skyrim.

I miss you, Pat. You, not your work. Of course you’ll post about your products and fundraisers…but if there isn’t a healthy balance of you and them, why would I come back?

• Holmelund
      Posted May 15, 2018 at 4:39 AM | Permalink

Wow. You just voiced my feeling perfectly.

• Anech
      Posted May 25, 2018 at 2:20 AM | Permalink

Brady,

I came to the blog today, having a slim hope that there would be some random paragraphs about running around like Gandalf in a big coat, or about Oot saying randoms, or really anything. Anything…. Unexpected.

I started following the blog about 10 years ago, after being awestruck by name of the wind. There has been plenty of laughs. The memories live on.

Like you, I really miss Pat. I love the books, and reread them regularly. I haven´t really waited for doors of stone for 5 years, the book comes when it´s ready. We´ll all be here, no question. The development of the blog on the other hand, feels like losing a dear friend..

Pat, if you happen to read this: Don´t feel bad, life happens. I also remember a post you wrote about writing blog posts taking hours, so it´s no mere “throw something out there”. But if you ever have the time, the energy and the story… Well, I guess what I´m trying to say is that we are still around, though not as regularly as before.

Take care,
      A

• Astrid
        Posted July 25, 2018 at 10:05 AM | Permalink

You may well say you are happy to wait for Doors of Stone – but I realised recently that I may well NOT be there any longer to read it and enjoy it, sadly.
        Is there ANY hope of it coming out before I actually – hate to say it – die?
        Please Pat, don’t give up writing and do less extraordinary stuff – I know you COULD finish doors of stone…go on, try? Pretty Please?

• Sir DupedALot
      Posted June 24, 2018 at 6:54 PM | Permalink

Pat has fallen into the fame zone where you start to become kind of a douche. I sincerely hope he digs himself back into being a normal cool guy. You can tell how far he has fallen by how often he has attacked fans for asking about book3.

It is sad to see the degradation. Content is a thing of the past. He is just constantly asking for more money.

9. saizu
    Posted May 28, 2018 at 10:37 PM | Permalink

Just curious, how can you sleep at night knowing your two and a third of a book series is being touted as epic fantasy? Rambling incoherent essay that was TSROST aside, there were so many plot holes, so much endlessly pointless dialogue, worthles,s empty character building, ego stroking monologues by Patrick er I mean kvothe, the fact that the entirety of wise man’s fear was filler ( I had all these amazing adventures at sea, but I had to cut them out and replace them with atrocious court drama and the whole “love” triangle thing with bell, or Della, or bealla or what ever the name was of that character I insert into the plot to make it seem like there’s a love connection, since they ended up being as long as Neil gaimans stardust book, btw that makes me look cool when I have to cut so much point less story out that I reference another famous author to make a point) , were you going to add some depth to the world of tarbeania, or were you going to continue aping being a fantasy writer? I would suggest sitting down with Stephen Erickson’s Malazan book of the fallen series, so they you can learn how to write engaging and realistic characters.

• BastaConLaDroga
      Posted June 15, 2018 at 2:25 AM | Permalink

• BastaConLaDroga
      Posted June 15, 2018 at 2:27 AM | Permalink

Somebody give this man a medal. And a beer.

10. Jsherry
    Posted May 28, 2018 at 11:17 PM | Permalink

Probably on a bed that’s made of thousands of discerning fantasy readers’ money and your tears.

Argh. I’m sorry. It’s not like Pat needs someone to defend him, but there’s so much wrong with this comment (logically, conceptually, grammatically) that I couldn’t just look away like I hope Pat can.

So, all that just to say you’re _not_ ordering a card deck, saizu?

11. DividedSword
    Posted June 7, 2018 at 12:24 AM | Permalink

Pat,

It does not matter if it’s a book your working on, a deck of cards, or making dinner. The import aspect is regardless of the item take your time, do it right. Not just for yourself, not just for the readers, but also for the universe. The world is full of tripe that people are willing to dish out and others are willing to gobble up. I, myself want perfection; and I’m willing to wait for it, because I have a belief that I am worth it, and we as readers desire it. “No pressure”

12. Amanda
    Posted June 17, 2018 at 7:57 AM | Permalink

I wanted to thank you Pat for your books. I am a grateful, recovering addict and your books have helped teleport me to another universe when my own demons of self loathing, shame, and guilt start to attack me in these first days of recovery. I only wish there was a seven word phrase in our world that would make a person love you. If that was so, it would probably make saying “Hi, I’m Amanda and I’m an addict” a little easier. All the same, thank you for your books. They have been a great comfort to me.

13. Joe Fritzky
    Posted June 22, 2018 at 8:28 PM | Permalink

Patience is given as is earned.

14. alex
    Posted June 23, 2018 at 9:34 AM | Permalink

Hello! Could you please give an update about the Book 3?

15. Sir DupedALot
    Posted June 24, 2018 at 7:17 PM | Permalink

Remember when Pat was a good guy? Reminds me more and more of Billy from WestWorld a man pretending to be a good guy donating to charity while being shitty to the people who support him.

“Just when I was growing fairly certain my readers were clever people who actually have the ability to read and comprehend text, a brave contingent of souls rush boldly forward with comments, eager to prove me wrong….

The vast majority of you: Thanks for being a delightfully non-representative sample of what the internet has to offer. I love you with great love.

The others: I understand if the above sentences were too long for you to make it to the end. It must be hard to read an entire 70 words in a row, with that painful repetitive stress injury caused by your knees endlessly jerking in response to half-glimpsed imaginary insults.

I am sympathetic to your condition. So here’s the tl;dr…

I am disappoint.

Is that short enough, or do I have to slather it across a kitten picture for you?”

“When fans ask about book three… Whiny noise * ‘Wheeeere’s book threee?’ That what y’all sound like to me when you… *immitates whine Except much higher pitch. You know like the sound of of like a nail being dragged across my teeth combined with the smell of someone who just… shit on themselves. That’s the sound it makes in my head when people are like ‘Where’s book 3, you said it was done years ago.'”

Remember that time when Pat attacked a small blogger that dared criticize him while he filed a false copyright claim?

16. Brain
    Posted June 25, 2018 at 3:39 PM | Permalink

I made a calculation of how much Pat is working on book 3 every day. I assume book 3 will have more or less the same amount of pages of the first two books, so I averaged them. By taking the average amount of pages of The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man’s Fear and dividing it by 7 years (TWMF was released in 2011) I came upon the number 0.33. This means Pat is writing a THIRD of ONE page every day. How can you call yourself a writer when you do so less of what you’re supposed to do? I got around the same number for George R.R. Martin, who spends his time on another book series nobody asked for and that will also never end. Some writers, when they get a taste of success, stop caring about their fanbase who made them successful in the first place.

Thank you Pat and George for convincing me never to start reading an incomplete book series again, except when Brandon Sanderson is the author.

• Joshnonya
      Posted June 25, 2018 at 6:51 PM | Permalink

Agreed. Sanderson is a real author.

• Christoffer
      Posted July 10, 2018 at 7:11 AM | Permalink

We should all understand by now that the third book will never be published.
      Seven years (and four mounth) so far and not even an estimate when it will be complete.

I dont know why, but the most likely reason is that he can’t complete it with all the expectations from the fans and with all the threads tied up.

I will also say that I am a BIG fan of the books, and if it does come out it will have a nice place in my collection.

17. Andrew Fridge
    Posted June 26, 2018 at 12:20 AM | Permalink

It finally makes sense.

If I were you. I wouldn’t do any more anthologies with George RR. He has rubbed off on you. Hopefully, it’s not in a literal way. That would be weird.

Not to be a Debbie-Downer but I was hoping to Felurian had bigger T&A. Or maybe just a hint of nip. Giggity.

A good solid beard can catch cake crumbs like no tomorrow amaright? :)

18. Lisa
    Posted June 26, 2018 at 8:41 AM | Permalink

Hi Pat,

I would like to thank you so much for your books. A friend of mine recommended me TNotW back in 2009 or 2010 and claimed it was “one of the best fantasy books she had ever read.” To say I was sceptical would be an understatement. But one page into the book, I was hooked. Your writing style is so beautiful I just couldn’t put the book down. Thankfully, I was a little late to the party, so I didn’t have to wait long for the second book. Your way with words just stuck with me through all these years.

Just yesterday, I picked up the 10th anniversary special edition. Do you have any plans to release a matching special edition for the second book? I would love to complete the set because my original paperbacks are slowly falling apart from being carried around on holiday trips. (:

I get really sad whenever I see people complaining about the lack of a third book and getting angry at you as if you owe them something. Personally, I’m happy waiting as long as it takes until you’re happy with your story. If that means I need to wait another ten years, that’s ok. I would still run to the bookstore the day it comes out. Please don’t let those people ruin your happiness. Take care!

Lisa

19. Brandon
    Posted June 27, 2018 at 8:56 AM | Permalink

Two months no Blog post sad face. I really miss your written wit. Hope everything is going well.
    Brandon

20. Andrew Fridge
    Posted June 28, 2018 at 10:58 PM | Permalink

When I think of well written. I think of your books.

And it’s ok. There are 20-30 other bastards out there that make me wait on their releases to dribble in. Reminds me that I need to track down James A Moore and SM Stirling and tell them to hurry the hell up.

21. Ryan
    Posted July 3, 2018 at 1:05 PM | Permalink

I check back here every once in a while to see if there are updates. I did the same for Michael Stackpole and his Talion Revenant book. It took a decade before he started writing a sequel which I am not supporting on patreon because that is how he decided to do it. I think like everyone I hope I’ll show up and pasted across the top of the site there will be a release date. Mostly I’m releaved he’s not wasting time on the blog anymore.

• Ryan
      Posted July 3, 2018 at 1:07 PM | Permalink

That should have been a “now supporting” not “not supporting”.

22. Posted July 6, 2018 at 6:19 PM | Permalink

23. Mark
    Posted July 7, 2018 at 9:35 AM | Permalink

How’s that book coming?

24. Cedric
    Posted July 7, 2018 at 2:39 PM | Permalink

I’m giving up.

25. Mark
    Posted July 12, 2018 at 1:11 AM | Permalink

Hey Pat,
    I don’t want to be a douchebag, just curious.
    I am sure you got your reasons and your many projects are great, but I would really appreciate hearing ANY update on book 3.
    From the outside perspective on your blog and Facebook I get the impression you’re doing anything else but work the book. That’s sad and hopefully not true.
    I will be there for the book, probably as long as I am alive, no doubt. Just… Anything on a status update?

I hope you’re not mad at me for asking :(
    Greetings from Germany

MS

26. Posted July 15, 2018 at 2:33 PM | Permalink

___123___NOTW Art Deck: Updates and Timelines___123___

27. Azol
    Posted July 17, 2018 at 11:51 AM | Permalink

Worldbuilders 2016. $100000 stretch goal… Pat’s New Website Launches!

Each time I visit this blog I wonder if I have stuck on the old website, and all the exciting news being published somewhere else…

28. Nikhil
    Posted July 19, 2018 at 8:40 AM | Permalink

Wow they’re bloody gorgeous. I’ll have to get my hands on a couple of pairs. As always, appreciate you taking the time to get it right.

29. Ryan
    Posted July 19, 2018 at 10:19 AM | Permalink

I just found out about these card decks and really want one or a couple. How do I obtain/buy them? I see the kickstarter stuff and went to the link in this post. I of course have no idea about any of this. Apologies if ridiculous, but would love to purchase!!

30. Laura Barnes
    Posted July 20, 2018 at 11:24 AM | Permalink

Hello from Finland! Any news on when the deck of cards will be posted?? Getting anxious over here…regards, Laura

31. federico
    Posted July 21, 2018 at 7:30 PM | Permalink

I just want the third part to come out

32. Joseph Roca
    Posted July 21, 2018 at 8:31 PM | Permalink

Hmm. I don’t want to seem a f>>>> patronizing reader. Damn, some of these emails you get. WTF. You owe them a book? [email protected]# them, really. Maybe their criticism helps you write more sharply? Ok. Still, suppose you can be both grateful, and inwardly flip them the birdie.
    Gotten rid of all my fiction. Except the Wise Man’s Fear. I gave away the Name of the Wind to a truly needy young man after reading it, far too many times, and I daily read young fiction to my son( I still have the Hobbit). I’d be happy to wait twenty years for the third Qvothe, if I live that long, if it were a truly complete vision. Course I’ll wait as long as I must. I hope you can or choose to do it, and I mean while living a genuinely good life. Don’t see how I could.

If it would help any, and truly, I understand it might not help at all, I could offer some particular questions. For example, what does Saicere mean? Qvothe’s linquistics are deep enough to hear Caesura, but really? 2000 plus years of Adem have it completely wrong? In his maturing, maybe he considers how his take was both profound, and merely different? Maybe less, what? functional? healthy? than theirs?
    Really, I’ve got a hell of alot of questions.
    Not importantly, to me anyway, who are the queens? I see Denna, and Fela as brunettes. Mola and Devi as blondes. Devi as ginger/honey blonde. Felurian as near platinum, though I don’t really remember this sec. I certainly fill in blanks, and sometimes see a different vision than the print. Or maybe it’s just being done differently for other reasons. Cards aren’t my thing anyway. Maybe just ought to buy em.
    Really appreciate, trying to properly appreciate, what you’ve done.
    Joe Roca

33. Jan
    Posted July 22, 2018 at 9:44 AM | Permalink

Greetings!
    Just a quick btw comment. Do you use any version control system? It’s used in software development to track changes in the code which is basically a text. I was thinking it might help you with writing.
    Have a nice day!
    Jan

34. Robert
    Posted July 27, 2018 at 4:43 AM | Permalink

I’m checking daily in hopes of an update. Hoping all is well Pat.

35. DANIEL WASSEN
    Posted July 28, 2018 at 9:48 PM | Permalink

He can’t even write for his blog anymore haha. Hurry up and finish your book so I can torrent it.

36. Jody Mann
    Posted July 29, 2018 at 2:28 AM | Permalink

Hello!

How can I order one of these packs? They look amazing!

Best wishes,

Jody

37. Makarand
    Posted August 2, 2018 at 8:02 AM | Permalink

Yes, the cards and art decks. I’m sure they’re very appreciated by your fans, Mr.Rothfuss. However, you know what else we’d appreciate a great deal more?

Book 3 of the Kingkiller Chronicles.

BEAR WITH ME, IF YOU EVER READ THIS! THIS IS A COGENT PLEA TO YOU, SIR. GIVE IT A CHANCE.

By now it’s a race between you and Martin to see who can finish as slow as they possibly can. I know you need you creative juices flowing. You need your breaks, and you need battery recharge time and all that. But really, 7 years, man? Seven years? I hate to say this, but there’s a good chance a majority of people will lose interest in your series. I know you don’t care all that much(based on your actions and your retaliations to fans regarding this topic thus far), but come on. Forget the idea of honoring fans, and the concept of not crapping on the hand that feeds. Screw all that.

How about prioritizing, and being the consummate professional you’re supposed to be?

Don’t you understand how passionate wle are about your books? They literally shape our lives dude. We identify with the Kvothes, the Dennas, the Elodins and the Auris. They subconsciously induce biases in us that eventually shape our personalities. Your books are a part of your fans’ personalities. Get that, and you’ll get why we’re so desperate to see the conclusion to your story.

Delight in and respect the fact that people love your work so much and are so passionate about it, Patrick Rothfuss. Writing a beloved novel creates an arrangement which is(ideally) a two way street: we love your work and put you on a pedestal(also, you get rich and famous because we liked what your wrote). You churn more content out so we can keep doing that.

At least give us regular and detailed status updates like Sanderson does! Is THAT so hard? It atleast proves you give a shit.

I know you won’t be moved in the slightest by this rant, as you weren’t moved at all(except to lash out and threaten book delays – cheap, that). I want you to know I’m jumping off the bandwagon of your ‘hardcore’ fans to the bandwagon of ‘it’s just a book, who cares’.

Good luck resolving whatever it is that stops you from completing your magnum opus.

38. Adrian
    Posted August 3, 2018 at 7:26 AM | Permalink

Good comment @Makarand.
    I will just add something pat himself wrote a loooong time ago :

“When you wait a few span or month to hear a finished song, the anticipation adds savor. But after a year excitement begins to sour. By now, a year and a half had passed and folk were almost mad with curiosity. This occasionally led to hard words when someone was caught wandering a little too close to our wagon while my father and mother were working.”

39. Chrissy
    Posted August 3, 2018 at 12:03 PM | Permalink

I ordered this deck.

I’ve just accepted that I will never know when it will arrive. They sent out the tracking and with that a notification that said it was some batch tracking but it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s shipping just yet. Now I really don’t know when it will be arriving unless I check the tracking every day. The first two weeks I checked…but no movement. It’s eerily similar to waiting for the third book. Except I paid for the decks already so they HAVE to come. I don’t want to hear crap about how I should be grateful for the deck at all. You literally would not say that about anything else you spend money on.

I understand how fans want to protect Pat, and they are right that he doesn’t owe fans the third book. We didn’t pre pay for them or anything…

I just wonder what those same fans would think if he said doesn’t want to write it, hasn’t started writing it, or never will write it…

All of them say, don’t worry I’m willing to wait until you think it’s ready…but without any updates whatsoever, mention of the question taboo, where are people getting the faith he is even WRITING at all?

Be a fan of the ad blog, or charities, or card decks (I was a stupid sucker)…but be an honest fan at least.

40. Bella
    Posted August 5, 2018 at 10:11 AM | Permalink

I think the best thing is to stop asking. Stop visiting the site
    Stop commenting. Stop buying the products. Just stop giving this writer your energy.

The first two books were not all that great… they are long and kind of boring and predictable n terms of the main characters’ introspection. All of us are dying to know what happens next and what happens to n the future once the story of the past has been told

I think if all attention and comments went away Rothfus may become a bit more eager to do the thing that made him great in the first place…tell and finish this story. Surely, this attention isn’t helping him write or revise and removing it might instill a more immediate need to do the thing that earned him the attention in the first place.

• Erzberger
      Posted August 7, 2018 at 11:37 PM | Permalink

That’s among the most condescending and insulting things I read in a while. The lack of empathy and decency on the internet still baffles me sometimes.

• Laurelian
        Posted November 8, 2018 at 12:12 PM | Permalink

Agreed, Erzberger!

My perspective is this: ANY creator gives away a part of themselves when they make something and send it out into the world. Whether it is a book, a piece of art, a song, a quilt or an afghan, the person has poured their time, effort, and a bit of their soul into that thing they made and then given it to the world. It’s a privilege to have someone share something that they’ve put so much effort into. It’s not an entitlement or a right.

Obviously, a lot of creators get paid for their work. But even so, that doesn’t entitle ANYONE to demand anything from the creator, nor to try and dictate the pace at which they should be creating.

If Pat Rothfuss never publishes the third book, I will learn to live with it. And I will revel in the beauty and wonder that reading the first two (and Ari’s story) provided me. This book is his baby. And determining when or even IF it is ever ready to enter the world is entirely his decision. He doesn’t owe anyone anything. Least of all people like you, Bella.

If you’re not a fan of his work, take your own advice and move on. Stop buying things he makes and stop stalking his blog.

I’m a firm believer that continuing to support a creator by purchasing their products and offering positive comments is the sort of thing that will encourage them to produce more. What you’re suggesting would discourage and dishearten any creator and a sad (and poor) creator is not someone who can put new, beautiful things out into the world.

41. Posted August 5, 2018 at 12:32 PM | Permalink

There’s a Crack in everything …..That’s how the Light Gets IN…………Mahalo’s for letting me
    BE and remembering that WAITING IS ……..FULLNESS COMES….

ELIZABETH

• Brayden
      Posted August 8, 2018 at 3:55 PM | Permalink

What…what is this comment?

42. Ray Lawton
    Posted August 24, 2018 at 1:33 PM | Permalink

When I bought Name of the Wind box set, I believed it was a complete trilogy. Don’t get me wrong, Silent Things is wonderful, but it an off-shoot, not the 3rd of the trilogy. Where is the 3rd book and what is it called? Or am I being dense?.
    TVM.

43. Bob Otto
    Posted August 26, 2018 at 7:44 PM | Permalink

Pat,
    These are the BEST books I’ve ever read. I can’t wait for the next one.
    Is there any way I can get in on this or at least order some of your stuff ?
    Tx Bob

44. Diana Hiemstra
    Posted September 3, 2018 at 5:00 PM | Permalink

Is there a complete list of who’s who among the decks? There has been some debate as to who is who on a few of these. :) Thanks!

45. Jeanne DeWall
    Posted October 3, 2018 at 5:37 PM | Permalink

Hey Pat
    I’m a fan and a half. I know Kvothe, I believe that I have met him… thank you for introducing him.
    The audible book version narrated by Rupert Degas is amazing, and a mainstay in my office. I can’t say how many times I have listened to both of the books – a wonderful addition throughout the –bright days and sparkling nights of summer, in the cool crispy leaf days of fall, in the dark cozy days and nights of winter… its all good!
    I am looking forward to the next book with great anticipation (and I hope that it won’t be the final book either).
    I just hope I get to read it before I die…
    (I’m serious… ; )
    Best of luck,
    Jeanne

46. Eliezer S
    Posted October 4, 2018 at 4:08 PM | Permalink

What the hell is wrong with you Pat? I am waiting years for the book and I dont even see the tip of the iceberg. Should I keep waiting or will just give up because it is obvious you dont wanna publish it? It is a shame. Thinking of good stories is good but it does not make you good author. Shame upon you, you mockked us all.

• John
      Posted November 11, 2018 at 7:15 PM | Permalink

well said, this has got to be a joke at this point. I wish I could just blow off deadlines like this guy!

47. Posted October 5, 2018 at 11:43 PM | Permalink

I ‘d mention that we site visitors are extremely lucky to live in a fantastic community with very many awesome people with interesting principles. I feel very happy to have seen your weblog and look forward to some more cool moments reading here. Thanks once again for all the details.

48. Jeroen
    Posted October 21, 2018 at 5:02 AM | Permalink

I haven´t been much of a reader, though after my brother convinced me to read it I thought to give it a try. Your first book took me 2,5 years to finish, the second one took me just one month (for me, that is a world record). Beside that, In the Name of the Wind was my second book to ever read (for details, Shogun of James Clavell was my first, it took me almost 6 years to finish).

I have enjoyed every moment of it, now just like the rest waiting for your next hoping-to-be-masterpiece. Thank you for writing such an interesting story, I do wonder what secret lies in the last page of The Wise Man’s Fear?

49. Jessi Guay
    Posted November 8, 2018 at 12:02 PM | Permalink

I’m disappointed I missed out on this because I love both yours and Echo’s work so very much!

Are these available for general sale yet?

50. Posted November 11, 2018 at 9:36 PM | Permalink

thanks you post. Gook luck

51. Posted February 28, 2019 at 7:59 AM | Permalink

Interesting article! Thank you for sharing them! I hope you will continue to have similar posts to share with everyone! I believe a lot of people will be surprised to read this article!

52. Posted February 28, 2019 at 8:01 AM | Permalink

I found your blog, I really found you by mistake, while I was looking on Yahoo for something else, anyways I am here now and would just like to say thanks for a tremendous post. Please do keep up the great work.

53. Jacobter
    Posted March 7, 2019 at 2:57 AM | Permalink

Привет хотим представить вам партнерку по [url=http://onebetbest.com/push.php]пуш монетизации[/url].
    Всем кому интересен данный вид заработка можно перейти по [url=http://onebetbest.com/push.php]ССЫЛКЕ(КЛИК)[/url] для регистрации.
    ============================================================================
    Hi I want to introduce you to the affiliate program at [url=http://onebetbest.com/push.php]push monetization[/url]
    Anyone who is interested in this kind of earnings you can go to [url=http://onebetbest.com/push.php]the LINK(CLICK)[/url] for registration.

54. Posted March 7, 2019 at 3:25 AM | Permalink

Professional study help online is visible at StudentsAssignmentHelp.com. We are working with team of masters and Ph.D. degree professionals that understand students requirement and complete the task properly. We have a team of native writers from the USA, Ireland, Australia, Singapore, UK, New Zealand, etc.

55. Posted April 26, 2019 at 12:24 AM | Permalink

56. Posted May 7, 2019 at 10:26 AM | Permalink

It’s about clearing away space in my life to make time for people, play, and rest.

I promise you — there really are enough hours in a day for everything you’d like to do, but it may take a bit of rearranging and re-imagining to find them.

57. Posted May 11, 2019 at 4:37 PM | Permalink

Nice Post! Thanks for sharing this information

58. Posted May 12, 2019 at 3:44 AM | Permalink

Please visit my website for daily updated information of Hongkongpools results.

59. Posted May 12, 2019 at 7:31 PM | Permalink

Hello my friend. I want to say that this post is awesome, nice written and include almost all important information. I would like to peer more posts like this. Thanks….

60. Posted May 12, 2019 at 7:32 PM | Permalink

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts.
    thanks…

61. Posted May 12, 2019 at 7:32 PM | Permalink

I’m really enjoying the design and layout of your blog. It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes
    it much more pleasant for me to come here and visit more often.

62. Posted May 24, 2019 at 4:04 AM | Permalink

wow very cool deck. looking great.

63. Posted October 31, 2019 at 5:56 AM | Permalink

Kunjungin situs poker online yg bersejarah di Indonesia

64. samhank
    Posted October 31, 2019 at 3:29 PM | Permalink

Best piece of info ever, did you know that Traditionally, splitting logs into manageable pieces ideal for use as firewood required on to use an axe and metal kindling. However, today modern electric and gas log splitter provide versatility and convenience of splitting logs into firewood. Get one from Best Log Splitter for Oak

65. Posted November 1, 2019 at 4:59 AM | Permalink

We have an expertise in providing accounting assignment help. Our accounting writers are highly experienced and dedicated in their specific domain.

66. Posted November 4, 2019 at 2:18 AM | Permalink

Access our reliable cash app support from complete relaxation from tech issues

With a cash app, you may face some technical inconveniences such as refund, cancellation or creating an account. Through cash app support, every user will get assistance on troubleshooting the technical difficulties with ease. Our team’s availability is 24 hours to help you in solving your technical glitches 833-554-9444. https://www.facebookmarket-place.com/cash-app-support/

67. samhank
    Posted November 4, 2019 at 5:19 AM | Permalink

Best piece of info ever looking forward for more, If you are looking for a way to remove the lingering odors from your living space, office or in your commercial premises then you are in the right place. Get one from Best Ozone Generator for Water

68. Posted November 5, 2019 at 2:12 AM | Permalink

Solving the technical errors of cash app is easy with cash app number

Finding a way of rectification of all sorts of cash app glitches? In such a case, you have come to the right place where you’ll get immediate aid from techies just by ringing on the cash app number. No matter how far you’re, you can still get quick technical support from our technical team 1-833-554-7444. https://www.supportforhelp.net/cash-app-customer-service-phone-number

69. Posted November 5, 2019 at 4:23 AM | Permalink

They are in a dilemma that whether it is ethical to get Essay Help service . They are reliable, take ownership and reasonable for the students. Hence, they are the best person to help the students to write a perfect Essay.

70. Posted November 6, 2019 at 4:12 AM | Permalink

Contact us on yahoo number to get the solution of slow loading of homepage

Encountering with Yahoo related errors is just an unexpected problem that can happen with you anytime. If you’re not prepared for it and want expert’s guidance then ring on the yahoo number. You’ll immediately be directed to the team of technical engineers who’ll take your problems as a priority 833-554-7444. https://www.applesupportphonenumber.com/yahoo-customer-support-number/

71. Posted November 6, 2019 at 4:13 AM | Permalink

Call on the all-time operational number to access our yahoo customer service

Glitches related to Yahoo can knock you down at any time. If you don’t want your time to be wasted in fixing these glitches, connect with us for accessing our yahoo customer service. In case you don’t know to avail of this service, simply dial the contact number to stay in touch with us 1-844-409-2999. https://www.customer-servicecontact.com/yahoo-customer-service/

72. Posted November 7, 2019 at 4:46 AM | Permalink

Cope up with technical troubles via yahoo number

Users of Yahoo mail can call on the yahoo number if they’re finding any technical troubles while accessing the account. Our technical engineers are there to help the users in rectifying their problems with complete satisfaction and utmost effectiveness. Our helpline number is available 365 days to help in fixing the problems. https://attcustomerservicephonenumber.com/yahoo-customer-support-number/

73. Posted November 7, 2019 at 4:46 AM | Permalink

Yahoo support- fixes the account key technical problem

For getting the immediate solutions, there’s the availability of our yahoo support that offers instantaneous service to the users. No matter what technical doubts you have, just pick up the phone call right now and get prompt help. In order to get the issues fixed, our technical experts are ready to serve you all day and night. https://www.customersupport-phonenumber.com/yahoo-customer-service-number/

74. Posted November 7, 2019 at 4:56 AM | Permalink

Lucy Willor is a professional Academic Writer in IdealAssignmentHelp.com. This academy provides students assignment & Essay help for Australian Student. They have 24/7 working team, that is always their to help you related Assignment. Students can contact by visiting their website https://www.idealassignmenthelp.com/

75. Posted November 7, 2019 at 5:24 AM | Permalink

I’m really impressed by it. we are here to give services on feng shui products and we also offer you Home Decor, Pooja Samagri, Feng Shui Products, Vastu Products, Tibetan.

76. berry johnson
    Posted November 7, 2019 at 6:34 AM | Permalink

Connection between hardware and software is very important and windows drivers helps to communicate between each other. Here is the best driver updater software for enhancing the performance in few minutes.

77. Posted November 8, 2019 at 2:03 AM | Permalink

Keep posting such kind of information on your page. I am a normal visitor of your site and appreciate you taking the time to maintain the nice site. I’ll be a frequent visitor for a really long time

78. Posted November 8, 2019 at 3:07 AM | Permalink

disini kami menyediakan ada togel yang resmi. kunjungi link resmi kami

79. sam
    Posted November 9, 2019 at 12:31 AM | Permalink

This is great info you have shared with us. Thumb up. If you are looking for help DNP ProJet Writers then with a hot deal to offer to you for great output free from plagiarism and delivered on a timely manner. Get high score with DNP Project Writers

80. Posted November 9, 2019 at 1:53 AM | Permalink

Feel free to avail yahoo sign up to get the accurate solution

Is the home page of Yahoo taking time in loading?
    Want Yahoo Sign Up to make Yahoo your home page?
    Rectifications will be delivered to you within a short span of time because of the availability of our knowledgeable technical professionals. Just ask your complicated questions to our technical experts on the phone call.1-855-792-0222 https://www.customersupport-phonenumber.com/yahoo-mail-signup/

81. Posted November 9, 2019 at 1:54 AM | Permalink

If want rectification instructions, get Facebook marketplace from us

Unwanted emails and spam emails making you irritated? Are you in need of answer of this question? For this, our Facebook marketplace team is available to provide ultimate technical help. Our technical executives know how to proceed to make your technical fb glitches be gone forever. Take assistance direct from our technical agents.1-833-276-4777 https://attcustomerservicephonenumber.com/facebook-marketplace/

82. johnmark
    Posted November 9, 2019 at 1:54 AM | Permalink

For unlimited cash app support, make sure to access our customer service

If your cash app is not opening on internet explorer then you must contact our team. Cash App Support is committed to ensuring instant technical aid to every cash app user no matter what sort of glitch it is. Speak to us whenever you get surrounded by any serious technical problem.1-833-554-7444 https://www.supportforhelp.net/cash-app-customer-service-phone-number

83. Posted November 11, 2019 at 12:24 AM | Permalink

We offer routine copier, printer, and scanner support administrations to keep your machines running at their maximum capacity.

84. Posted November 12, 2019 at 12:14 AM | Permalink

Translation Services Singapore is an incomparable typing services provider company in Singapore that offers typing services from professional and experienced typists. They offer the best copy- typing services at great prices.

85. arcgis
    Posted November 12, 2019 at 4:17 AM | Permalink

Such an awesome article and worthy spending time reading. Are you seeking gis assignment writers in the United States of America or United Kingdom? End your search now. For ArCGIS homework help is a place to be.

86. Posted November 13, 2019 at 12:05 AM | Permalink

Hey there! the StudentsAssignmentHelp.com offers 10% discount on your first order for Instant Assignment Help Services. This site will help you to improve your grades.they have 24×7 online active customer support and always work your Quality content. contact here for more details-  [email protected]

87. Posted November 13, 2019 at 12:26 AM | Permalink

Our toll-free Amazon Customer Service

At Amazon customer support, we make everything easy for you. From creating an Amazon account to ordering a product we help you in every way. We even have free standard professionals who are 24/7 available to help you get out the Amazon issues. Our Amazon Customer Service is managed by these talented techies who can implement right techniques while resolving the issues. If you want to inquire about some new Amazon inventions, call us 1-888-662-4999! https://popularge.com/amazon-customer-service-phone-number/

88. Posted November 13, 2019 at 12:26 AM | Permalink

We have Amazon Customer Service Phone Number
    Our team can help with even more. Perfect for the Amazon customers, our trained technicians can help you with account creation, set up your prime subscription, track your shipment, and more. No need to search for Amazon customer care– let us handle your Amazon problems via Amazon Customer Service Phone Number. We can effectively handle your Amazon queries and resolve them within a quick span of time. Just share your problems with us and we will handle them all 1-888-662-4999! https://popularge.com/amazon-customer-service-phone-number/

89. Posted November 14, 2019 at 12:14 AM | Permalink

Scale UP Security over Your Facebook Account Via Facebook Support Service
    Facebook Support professionals help all the users for enhancing their security over their Facebook account. If you are looking forward to keeping your account up and running in a flawless manner, come to us by availing our services and get the suggestion directly from experienced technicians 833-293-2333. https://www.my-contactsbackup.com/facebook-customer-support-number/

90. Posted November 14, 2019 at 12:15 AM | Permalink

Contact Facebook Phone Number For Getting Resolution In No Time
    Are you one of those who are frustrated due to various Facebook problems? Are you also looking for the best and real time solution in order to exterminate the entire host of issues in no time? What you should do is to put a call at toll free Facebook Customer Service phone number and to get right aid, at the comfort of your home 1-844-409-2999. https://www.customer-servicecontact.com/facebook-customer-service/

91. Posted November 15, 2019 at 6:59 AM | Permalink

How To Leverage The Power Of Facebook Phone Number?
    Are Facebook loopholes and shortcomings ruining your Facebook experience? Do you want to have a hassle free experience on Facebook? You don’t need to worry about anything. You must call Facebook Phone Number and leverage the power of it which would connect you to have a word with customer care technicians at anytime from anywhere 1-844-409-2999. https://www.customer-servicecontact.com/facebook-customer-service/