NOTW Art Deck: Updates and Timelines

Hey there folks,

It’s been a busy couple months. I know I said that in my last blog, but it’s more true than usual.

As proof, here’s a picture of my calendar, slightly redacted:

(Red days I spent traveling)

While I’ve been running around like a chicken with my head cut off, my team has been busily working on the Name of the Wind Art Deck. Art has been finalized, orders have been placed, and physical proofs have arrived in our grubby little hands.

(This is some pretty swank shit, right?)

If you backed the project, you’ve probably already seen some of this stuff in the updates we posted. But I figured I’d share it in case you’re like me and never read your kickstarter updates.

(Actual footage of the proofing process.)

So… yeah. The good news is that things are coming along well. The decks are shaping up beautifully, and there have been no major catastrophes.

The bad news is that it looks like the decks will be shipping out about 6 weeks behind schedule.

We’d intended to begin shipping at the end of this month, but we won’t actually be able to begin shipping until June. It’s not a huge delay, but it IS a delay, so I wanted to give you guys a heads up, and be as honest and transparent as possible.

First off. I just want to say I’m sorry. I really would have liked this to ship on time.

Secondarily, given how kickstarters frequently go, you know this is really good, right? Especially as is the first kickstarter Elodin Enterprises has run on our own. And it ended up way bigger than we expected. I don’t feel *too* bad about six weeks.

Also, not to be a dick or anything, but y’all know who I am, right? I mean seriously. Six weeks late? You should be dancing a fucking jig at the news that something I’m making is *only* six weeks late.

That said, I really am sorry. I wish we could have hit our mark. If only to prove I’m not always late.

Why is it late? Simple. We took an extra month and a half to work on the art. When we got to the end of our budgeted art development time, there were a couple cards I wasn’t in love with. I know art is subjective and all that. But I wanted every card to be as close to perfect as possible. So I made the call and we took the extra time.

And honestly? I’m glad we did. Because we got this:

Anyway, that’s the status of the cards. Just thought y’all would like to know….

Best,

This entry was posted in Echo Chernik. By Pat16 Responses

1. TomHC3
    Posted April 23, 2018 at 6:30 AM | Permalink

I’d rather it be delayed and perfect, than rushed. Thanks for the update

• cynrtst
      Posted April 23, 2018 at 9:25 AM | Permalink

Ditto. That goes for everthing you do, Pat.

• juion
      Posted April 23, 2018 at 11:10 AM | Permalink

Definitely agree. Six weeks late is basically on time for q Kickstarter, anyways.

2. VGFsirius
    Posted April 23, 2018 at 7:04 AM | Permalink

So shiny

3. Laitainon
    Posted April 23, 2018 at 8:46 AM | Permalink

I agree with TomHC3, take the time you need to make sure you’re happy with the result. I’d rather have them a couple weeks or months late and look at them happily for years, than get them sooner but less awesome.

Also, thank you very much for letting us know. I appreciate the openness!

4. khil1
    Posted April 23, 2018 at 9:27 AM | Permalink

I’m more interested in spying on your calendar… March 12 – 16, *redacted* Room? Hmm, what room did they lock you in for 5 days Pat? Blink at least twice if you need help.

6 weeks is a nothing delay in the long run and a better product for a minor delay is worth it.

• Posted April 23, 2018 at 1:22 PM | Permalink

I was just watching the movie The Room on repeat for all that time… They Ludavico’d me into a chair in Cleveland and hit me for 108 hours straight.

5. Posted April 23, 2018 at 12:43 PM | Permalink

In time, people will forget if it was late. They’ll never forget if it was wrong.

Don’t beat yourself up too much, the art looks amazing and I am excited to see the final result!

• Posted April 23, 2018 at 1:20 PM | Permalink

Yup. That’s what Tim Powers said to me once about my book. It was great advice….

6. Jsherry
    Posted April 23, 2018 at 2:50 PM | Permalink

I backed a Kickstarter for an kids’ RPG that was almost 5 years behind schedule, so I’d say you’re doing all right. My son aged out of being interested in it, but the end result was gorgeous, with tons of colorful artwork and a hefty starter box. So, while it didn’t work out the way I hoped, I’m happy to have contributed to its existence.

• Posted April 24, 2018 at 3:13 AM | Permalink

Oof. That’s rough. But good on you for looking on the bright side.

What’s the name of the RPG?

• Jsherry
        Posted April 25, 2018 at 12:35 PM | Permalink

It’s called Storm Hollow. I actually think you would particularly like it, since the focus is on storytelling. I was hoping to entice my son and his friends into gaming and RPGs before sports got to them (I did manage at least manage to get a few games of Catan out of them, eventually).

I actually just read the GeekDad review, which says: “I want to tell you what Storm Hollow isn’t. It is not a typical board game. Sure, it has a couple boards and lots of cards. And quite a few markers and pieces and dice, but at the core Storm Hollow is an RPG. It is a game of guided storytelling that lets the narrator/storyteller weave a spell of magic for her adventurers to complete with their choices and their imaginations.” Their 2-part review has tons of pics of the artwork and game pieces in the (truly giant) box.

7. decat13
    Posted April 24, 2018 at 6:28 PM | Permalink

Cool. Thanks for the update.

8. Brady Dill
    Posted May 8, 2018 at 9:03 AM | Permalink

I used to visit your blog every day, about four years ago, because sometimes you just wrote about your day or your thoughts on politics or sex or parenting or writing or whatever. I really loved just reading what you thought about whatever you were thinking about.

Over the past few years, there were more and more promotional posts for your products and projects. I came to hear you write, and instead got ads and your assistants’ verbiage and Kickstarters galore. And I care about some of them – Torment and Tak – but I miss just hearing you ramble about random shit. That time you tried to boil coffee into an extra-concentrated form, or Oot stories, or that time you tried to do NaNoWriMo and some horrendous subhuman was vanquishing you while playing Skyrim.

I miss you, Pat. You, not your work. Of course you’ll post about your products and fundraisers…but if there isn’t a healthy balance of you and them, why would I come back?