R&D&D (& Morty)

Hey there everybody,

It’s been a hectic time over here at RothCo. Due to various projects combined with some unfortunate scheduling, I’ve been traveling more than any sane human would ever choose to.

How much travel? Well, just for reference, I was only home 16 days over the months of February and March. So much travel that my bones hurt.

So much travel that I haven’t had the chance to officially announce that this is happening:

And by “this,” I mean there’s an official Rick and Morty Dungeons & Dragons crossover comic happening. And I’m writing it.

I get invitations to be involved with a lot of projects these days, and I say no to the majority of them. It’s my job to say no to things these days so I can focus my energies on essential things, and as a result, I’ve passed on some really cool gigs over the last couple years.

But when this got offered to me, I really couldn’t say no.

For those of you who want all the official details, there’s a little article about it over on io9.

For those of you just want the jist of it. I’m working with Jim Zub and Troy Little.

When asked for a quote about the project for the press release, and how I felt about being responsible for bringing together Dungeons & Dragons and Rick and Morty, here’s what I said:

“That’s some serious you-got-chocolate-in-my-peanut butter $#!& right there. I’m in. I’m all the way in. I’m gettin’ that chocolate all up in the peanut butter. Like, deep in. All the way in. It’s going to be sticky and delicious.”

So… yeah. I think the moral of the story is that you shouldn’t ask me to contribute to press releases.

It comes out in August, and while I don’t have a preorder link yet, you could always contact your local comic shop and make sure they know you’re interested…

There’s other news brewing, and a few blogs I managed to start but not finish while I was on the road. So expect to see them over the next couple weeks.

And if you have any questions about the comic, you can ask them in the comments and I’ll take a poke at answering the ones I’m allowed to when I wake up.

But for now? Sleep.

Later Space Cowboys….

This entry was posted in Achievement Unlocked!, being awesome, comics, cool news, graphic novels, my rockstar life. By Pat30 Responses

1. misskaitykat
    Posted April 17, 2018 at 5:18 AM | Permalink

Will this also, possibly, lead to you developing a Rick (or Morty) style DnD character class for us to use on our games? Because I will buy the comic for all of my friends if that comes with it :-)

• Posted April 18, 2018 at 1:51 AM | Permalink

I think Morty might technically be a henchman?

I don’t know if that would be the best fit for him. But it would certainly be an easy fit…

2. J2Haas
    Posted April 17, 2018 at 5:45 AM | Permalink

I am very often disappointed in the extremely insensitive and ruthless nature of the self entitled consumers swarming around great creators like yourself with ever hungry and scathing demands.

Therefore, I sincerely hope you have a real blast writing for this comic. I really think it’s right up your alley and I am for real in love with the idea of you doing it.

Thanks for contributing even more cool shit to this world.
    -Jake from CA

• Posted April 18, 2018 at 1:51 AM | Permalink

This is really nice to read. Thanks so much, Jake.

3. jonzes
    Posted April 17, 2018 at 9:00 AM | Permalink

I’m not really a comics guy but this one has at least three of my favorite things in one, so I am sold!

4. Thrr-gilag
    Posted April 17, 2018 at 9:25 AM | Permalink

So how are these being mashed together? Is it like a litRPG where R&M exist in a d&d world and happen to have stat sheets and level up? Is it R&M playing D&D at a table that then shows scenes from the game they are playing with them in their D&D character rolls?

or something completely different?

Part of the charm of R&M is Rick’s long rants and back and forth dialog with Morty and I fear those wont translate well into comic form. Now knowing you are involved I remain cautiously optimistic.

Thanks for the update!

• Posted April 18, 2018 at 1:55 AM | Permalink

These are good questions that I can’t answer for spoilery reasons.

What I can say though, is that I agree that a lot of the joy of Rick and Morty comes from the rants and banter. I was nervous about being able to pull it off when I started (because it’s some high-end banter) but now that I’ve taken a crack at it, I think I can pull it off. (And, more importantly, Jim can help me translate it into the comic medium, because he’s great at that and I’m very, VERY new at it.)

5. Posted April 17, 2018 at 9:39 AM | Permalink

I know a lot of people who like Rick & Morty! …I’m not one of them, the “always drunk to the point of not being able to clean the puke off his chin” thing seriously turns me off… but I’m happy for you and those people. I hope you continue to find things to work on that you enjoy.

• Posted April 18, 2018 at 1:57 AM | Permalink

This is a very kind comment. Thank you for being the exact opposite of what I expect to get out of the internet. (In a good way.)

6. Posted April 17, 2018 at 12:52 PM | Permalink

Awesome, do you know if they’ll be releasing the comic in a digital format as well, and if so on what platform?

Also, speaking of traveling way too much, getting invited to too many things, and the month of August, do you know if you’ll be at Worldcon 76 this year?

• Posted April 18, 2018 at 1:56 AM | Permalink

I haven’t committed to Worldcon this year. I haven’t done it in several years, actually.

While I miss Worldcon… I’m trying to travel less. I really need to do less running around….

7. JeremyM
    Posted April 17, 2018 at 4:16 PM | Permalink

I was at C2E2 when one of the people involved with this came into the Rick and Morty live draw panel and announced this!! I was/am so excited and have been looking at the blog waiting for this to post up. Can’t wait to read this!

8. decat13
    Posted April 17, 2018 at 9:58 PM | Permalink

Computer dummy has question.. have not received NOTW card decks yet..sad..update from smart puter folk requested.
    Sorry. Seriously though haven’t received my order yet. Looking forward to those cards. Am I in la la land or is there someone I should be calling?

• Posted April 18, 2018 at 2:17 AM | Permalink

I’ll be making an announcement about this shortly.

9. decat13
    Posted April 17, 2018 at 10:00 PM | Permalink

Congrats on the comic book deal. Sorry again for being that guy asking about random crap on totally unrelated blog.

10. lodi16b
    Posted April 17, 2018 at 11:06 PM | Permalink

Hey Pat, Will there be signed copies to purchase in The Tinker’s Pack or elsewhere? If so, where? Thank you.

• Posted April 18, 2018 at 1:56 AM | Permalink

There will be. Keep an eye on the blog for details.

11. Extesian
    Posted April 18, 2018 at 4:21 AM | Permalink

It’s great that you’re doing something you enjoy (and that will be stormin’ amazing) instead of succumbing to what must be relentless pressure from the vocal minority of your readership :) Now please succumb to my relentless pressure and do more Unattended Consequences. I’m not sure you understand how good that show was dude.

12. Karim
    Posted April 18, 2018 at 5:34 AM | Permalink

How exciting! I’m very happy for you (and glad everyone else here seems stoked). Is this the secret project you were talking to the D&D podcast about last year, or is there more in the pipeline?

I admit: part of that excitement is curiosity. You’ve lately become vocal about your concerns on how art affects people’s “consciousness.” “Rick and Morty” can be overwhelmingly bleak; the scene where a kid accidentally kills his sister in “The Whirly Dirly Conspiracy” is the example I remember most. I’m curious to see how you and Jim Zub will approach everything.

Good luck and congratulations once again! Can’t wait!

• Posted April 23, 2018 at 1:55 AM | Permalink

Yeah. It’s a concern of mine as well. It’s something I think about a lot.

• Mike R
        Posted August 1, 2018 at 12:45 AM | Permalink

I just want to know if Rick and Morty will end up drowning in sweater boxes. Pat just can not help himself with the Portmanteaus.

13. James
    Posted April 18, 2018 at 7:34 AM | Permalink

Thanks for the update Pat!

I had seen this announced on Tor.com at the beginning of April and had worried that it was a late April Fool’s joke. I am glad to hear it is real, and glad to hear that you are able to work on some of the projects that are close to you. I really look forward to reading this! Especially if there is some way to get it through the Tinker’s packs that also helps Worldbuilders. Given your level of perfectionism, I am certain the comic will be all kinds of awesome – both in content, and cool things that can be done when purchasing one.

Hope you have some time to rest and enjoy time with your family!

14. Posted April 19, 2018 at 5:31 PM | Permalink

Hold the phone. This means you’re basically same level (by the Bacon Degrees of Separation Metric) as Logic. The awesome-people-doing-awesome-things circle continues to get smaller and more entwined and I LOVE IT!

Congratulations, Pat! This looks like a ton of fun!

15. James
    Posted April 20, 2018 at 8:11 AM | Permalink

In completely unrelated news, I can’t help but think about how Tak is the perfect game for our era. At its core, the goal of the game is to find clever ways to build roads and circumvent walls. I cannot be happier to have this game in my collection.

Thank you Pat for enabling this game to be created and shared with the world.

16. Posted July 14, 2018 at 2:32 PM | Permalink

___123___R&D&D (& Morty)___123___

17. Rob
    Posted July 25, 2018 at 9:44 PM | Permalink

I”m a bit behind in my blog reading, but just had this pop up on kickstarter.

call-to-adventure-featuring-name-of-the-wind by Brotherwise games

18. Fred R
    Posted October 18, 2018 at 8:34 AM | Permalink

Well done pat, well done.., nice art work, I couldn’t help but notice the opening in that stone wall is lacking a door. Maybe you should mention this to the artist, Tell him to finish his drawing, I think a lot of people are waiting for him to finish his drawing!

• John
      Posted November 11, 2018 at 6:47 PM | Permalink

You might as well plan it staying an unfinished drawing, he has got more important stuff to do

19. Posted October 24, 2018 at 3:51 AM | Permalink