Events and Booksignings at PAX West Exclamation Point

Hello there.

*clears throat*

The online dictionary I checked defines Seattle as “a port city in West Washington on the Puget Sound”  In this essay I will …..

No, wait. The joke now is TED talk, right?  Please tell me how the youths joke now? I am alone and confused and this city is so large.  How many nickles do I need to buy a hot dog from a street vendor? Are street vendors still a thing? ARE HOT DOGS?

This weekend (when I’m not scrambling to feel connected to the slang of today) I’ll be at PAX West (!(exclamation point)).

Naturally, I’ll be on stage Ding all the D’s with my Acc Inc peeps.

But also, for the first time in a long time, have some booth space with some honest-to goodness merch here at PAX. I’ll be at the Table Titans Booth (7609).

While I go to PAXes fairly regularly, and even do signings there, I can’t remember the last time I actually managed to have books available for people, let alone the sexy new 10th anniversary edition of NOTW…

(We’re getting them shipped in special, and they’ll be showing up tomorrow!)

We’ll also have Tak sets, special capstones, decks of NOTW themed cards, handmade dice… and all manner of books I’ll happily sign for you. It’s a great gatheration of geekery. It slaps.

We’ve got a bunch of other stuff, too. (Like the Rick and Morty Comics) But I do feel I should mention that supplies are limited, so if you’re *really* excited to buy something, you might want to swing by sooner rather than later. People have been asking me to sell books at this show for ages, so now that they’re actually here, they might get snapped up super quick once word gets out.

Here are all my official events for the weekend:

Edit: There was some bad data in the first draft of this blog, specifically the Sunday and Monday hours. The current times and places are correct.

We’ve also included a handy-dandy graphic at the end you can share on the socials if you’d like to help spread the word.

• Friday, August 30th

4:30 PM – 5:30 AM – 6th floor

• Monday, September 2

Signing at Booth 7609
10:30 AM – 11:20 AM – 6th floor

Acquisition Inc Signing
11:30 AM – 1:30 PM – Autograph Area

Yeet me there, friends. It’ll be a bop.

This entry was posted in appearances, conventions. By Pat24 Responses

1. Jonathan
    Posted August 30, 2019 at 8:01 AM | Permalink

“Yeet me there, friends.”

You villain.

• Posted August 30, 2019 at 1:17 PM | Permalink

I am a monster.

• Ethan
        Posted August 31, 2019 at 12:53 PM | Permalink

Is “yeet” now a Siaru word?

2. Andrew White
    Posted August 30, 2019 at 11:02 AM | Permalink

Have fun! Wish I could be there!

3. Posted August 30, 2019 at 11:27 AM | Permalink

I wish I could drive up there, but it’s quite the trip, from Portland. I can never believe the amount of traffic (and I lived in Los Angeles for three years).

Have a great con!

• Amanda Heigel
      Posted August 30, 2019 at 3:24 PM | Permalink

The Amtrak ride from Portland to Seattle is lovely though!

4. Crystal
    Posted August 30, 2019 at 11:50 AM | Permalink

Sending positive vibes down from Vancouver, hope PAX goes smoothly.

5. Mark
    Posted August 30, 2019 at 5:01 PM | Permalink

“a port city in West Washinton on the Puget Sound”

It’s surprising that your dictionary choose to use the slang spelling of “Washinton”, instead of the more ubiquitous “Warshington”!

6. Spencer Green
    Posted August 31, 2019 at 12:39 AM | Permalink

“It slaps.”

Literally just had a piece of tomato come up my nose while eating taco bell from laugh snorting. Perfect way to start my Saturday xD. Wish I could attend! Sending love from Camp Walker, South Korea!

7. Max
    Posted August 31, 2019 at 11:22 AM | Permalink

Hope everyone there has a blop! Or bop!

8. Milo
    Posted September 1, 2019 at 5:24 PM | Permalink

Are there big lines for the Booth 7609 signings? Not sure how early I will be there on Monday. Are you also signing your books at the Acq. Inc signing (sorry if that’s a stupid question)?

• Mr Garrison
      Posted September 6, 2019 at 7:46 AM | Permalink

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

9. Edgar Alastrue
    Posted September 2, 2019 at 2:04 AM | Permalink

Patt!

Do you know any sigaldry that would allow teleportation from Bangkok?

Would really love to be there..!

BR

Edgar

10. Billy France
    Posted September 2, 2019 at 8:20 PM | Permalink

Any chance that you will be coming through Florida any time in the near future?

11. PATRICIA DE OLIVEIRA PENEDO FERREIRA
    Posted September 3, 2019 at 11:17 AM | Permalink

Have you ever done a booksigning in Brazil?

12. James Weaver
    Posted September 4, 2019 at 9:31 AM | Permalink

Mostly-entirely unrelated -I still remember the first convention I ever attended. It was WorldCon 2010 in Montreal. I was super excited, as many of my favorite authors were going to be there, had a list of panels I wanted to see, and had no idea what to expect. My friend and I got in on the first day, super excited, and went to the main floor to check out the shops and wander before our first panel.

We barely step through the door, and my friend looks over at an almost empty row of tables, where a single man is sitting alone, typing away at one of those tiny acer laptops – you know, the 15cm ones that were advertised as super portable, and were all the rage for all of two years? (This is relevant) Anyhow, seeing this man typing away, my friend asks “Hey, is that Pat Rothfuss?”

We agonized for about three minutes over whether to go say hello, or leave him in peace to work, before he noticed us (wasn’t hard, we were the only people in 50m, and everyone else was in the process of setting up their tables) and broke the ice, saying hi and inviting us over to chat.

We opened with the standard, starstruck “Are you Pat Rothfuss?” which he graciously confirmed, and then proceeded to chat with us for maybe 15-20 minutes. It felt like five seconds. He was funny, kind and engaging. He confirmed that he was working on book two on a borrowed laptop (We must have had a rabid gleam in our eyes, or something, when he mentioned the tiny, tiny laptop in front of him contained a draft of book two, because he then proceeded to close it and put it under the table, all very slowly). We chatted about Montreal, I think he asked for a restaurant recommendation, as we were locals.

Finally, we thanked him for taking the time to talk with us and let him get back to his day, but not before he made a comment that has stuck with me to this day. He said something about never getting one of those tiny laptops for his own use, as the keyboard was too damn small for him to use comfortably with his hands. His comment was that the frustration from using that keyboard was about equivalent to f@&king a corpse. He had us shocked and laughing.

That was the first few minutes of my first ever convention. I got to meet one of my favorite authors immediately upon entry, he was kind, he was funny. He took time to chat, and he made the weirdest, crudest metaphor.

My friend and I were lucky enough to be able to join one of his kaffeeklatsch discussions and have a group chat about book one, and ask questions about details we had found hidden with other fans. To our delight, he remembered us. To his dismay, we remembered his comment about the keyboard.

All that to say, of all the famous people I’ve wanted to meet at conventions, the first one I ever met was Pat Rothfuss, and it was awesome. I will never forget the metaphor about tiny laptops, no matter how much he may wish I might because he unknowingly set the bar ridiculously high for everyone else I ever got to meet.

And I thank you for that Pat, you made my first convention memorable. I have not gotten a chance to attend a convention where you are a guest or attendee since, but I would leap at the chance if you were ever at a con close enough for me to get to. I doubt you are able to sit in the open in peace anymore like you were almost ten years ago, but thank you all the same for taking the time for some fans.

I continue to be slightly jealous of all of you who could make it to Dragoncon!

And I hope you now have a bigger keyboard!

13. Adrian Salgado
    Posted September 4, 2019 at 11:07 AM | Permalink

Hi Patt.

First of all sorry, because I’m gonna be that “in love guy” today, so I’ll be a 100% and say everything as it is and from the heart.

My girlfriend’s birthday is th 25th of September, she’s turning 25, and she calls it her “golden birthday” as she is turning 25 the 25th. So I want to give her a great surprise and something very special.

Her favorite book is “The Name of the Wind”, I haven’t read it myself but I already have it in my “to read list”, but every time she talks about it is magical, she speaks with a lot of pasion and how much she loves it. I think her favorite part is when one of the character speaks of the importance of words, and that there is a way to make a women fall in love with you with only 7 words, she loves that part so much that she has a “(7)” tattooed on her wrist.

Like I said before I want to give her something special, I’m currently working on several things for her but I wanted to know if there was a way I could buy a signed book for her. I live in Mexico, so it is kinda difficult to move to any of your signings, but would really love to give her something special coming from the person that made those (7) words.

I hope you read this,

Adrian.

PS. I also dropped you an email but received the automated message that it might not get to you in time.

• Erenne
      Posted September 4, 2019 at 2:05 PM | Permalink

Hey Adrian,

she sounds like a great girl.
      So you should probably head over to the worldbuilders shop and get her a signed copys or maybe a Greysdale Mead water bottle : )

• Adrian
        Posted September 4, 2019 at 11:50 PM | Permalink

Thanks a lot.

I’ll check those out.

Adrian.

14. Corinne
    Posted September 4, 2019 at 10:27 PM | Permalink

wondeful

15. Aaron Lemons
    Posted September 7, 2019 at 3:54 PM | Permalink

Mr. Rothfuss,

As of present, I speak only for myself. I am but one of your many loyal readers. While my work precludes me to listen to the audio versions of your books, Mr. Podehl has encompassed your works and delivered in a voice that I believe you approve.

As I am entrenched in The Wise Man’s Fear as of present, I have just been gifted with the interaction between Kvothe and Felurian. As they speak of the Moon, I am moved to send you this message.

We, your fans, need book 3. The universe you have created, the characters we have come to love, the story as it moves… all deserve exposition. I thank you for the escape of the daily grind, the transportation to another world, that you have gifted us with Kingkiller Chronicles.

Please give us closure to one of the greatest stories ever told.

• A concerned guy
      Posted September 13, 2019 at 9:49 PM | Permalink

That is some pretty cheesy-sounding fake-fancy speak there, Aaron Lemons.

• K Sidhu
        Posted September 17, 2019 at 2:21 PM | Permalink

Oh Please play with our emotions some more.. as we wait with baited breath.. .. .. .. .. ..

No, Those are no mere periods but our tears as we still look towards the willy wild wonders of your internets to bring forth some word on the doors or the stones of which they are made off .. .. .. .. .. (crying some more)

• A concerned guy
          Posted September 17, 2019 at 4:13 PM | Permalink

Thy journey hast been longeth and hard, thee sayeth? Tis what she proclaimed!