Rick & Morty, D&D, and PAX West.

Heya folks,

As I write this, I’m in Seattle, on the cusp of attending PAX, one of the rare places on earth where who don’t know me look in my direction and think: “Hey, a wizard!” and not: “Oh shit, a murder-hobo!”

But before I list off my schedule for those of you who are interested, I thought I’d show these off…

The first of the Rick and Morty D&D crossover comics I’ve been tinkering with for months just came out. I’ve read them before, but oh, it’s nice to actually be able to go to the comic shop and hold them in my hand.

Here’s an alternate cover that shows Morty’s character sheet….

So… yeah. a thing I wrote is out in the world. It feels nice. I’m genuinely proud of some of the banter that I did in there. I don’t write straight-up humor very much these days, so it’s nice to know I can still pull it off when I need to.

Also? I’ve discovered that it’s disturbingly easy for me to write in Rick’s voice. I don’t know how I feel about that, or what it might mean about me, as Rick is, at best, a dangerous sociopath. But I’m not going to lie, it made working on some of the scenes *way* easier.

It’s been a real experience working with a team on a project. My co-writer Jim Zub and Troy Little have been very kind and patient with me and all the delays I cause. To say nothing of the editors, letterers, and the people who actually own and control the IP that I’m writing in. (Cartoon Network and Wizards of the Coast).

Simply said, I’ve learned at *lot* working on this project. And honestly? That’s one of the big reasons I took this gig when I’ve turned down so many other projects that would have been so fun. And of course I got to poke some fun at D&D and Rick and Morty too. Because you can’t *really* mock something properly unless you love it first….

But… yeah. It’s on the shelves now. That said, I’ve heard rumors that copies of the comics have been selling out in a lot of stores, so if you want to grab one, maybe reach out sooner rather than later?

(Here’s a cool link that can help you find a local comic shop, if you don’t know where that might be….)

Okay. And for those of you who are going to be at PAX, here are my panels, events, signings, etc.

• Friday, August 31

1pm-2pm: An Afternoon with Pat Rothfuss, Main Theatre – Benaroya Hall

(I only just now realized that they’ve put be in the 5000 person, opera hall for my “Afternoon with Pat Rothfuss” so if some of you wanted to show up to that, it would be great.)

Edit: New Event!

4pm-5pm: Signing Comics at the Oni booth, 6th floor. Booth #6305

(There will be comics available there.)

6pm-1am: Top of the World Gaming Event – Columbia Tower

(It’s a charity gig. There are tickets available here: http://www.ftwevents.com/pax2018)

• Saturday, September 1

2pm – 4pm: Signing at Uncle’s Games in room 214

(They’ll be selling Tak there, too.)

• Sunday, September 2

6:30pm-9:30pm: Acquisitions Incorporated, Main Theatre – Benaroya Hall

• Monday, September 3

1pm-3pm: Acquisitions Incorporated Autograph Session, Signing Area – Westin Hotel

(I’m not just signing Acc Inc stuff there. You can bring books (and comics) too.)

I’ll be seeing some of you soon…

This entry was posted in appearances, comics, conventions, cool news, gaming, Nathan Taylor Art. By Thera36 Responses

1. Manfred Kraut
    Posted August 31, 2018 at 5:12 AM | Permalink

Congratulations on this. Great if you can do what you want and make people happy on the way.

Enjoy your convention!

2. Dave
    Posted August 31, 2018 at 7:19 AM | Permalink

This is a really funny issue! Looking forward to the rest of the series. It’s funny that you say that about Rick, because reading it, I thought over and over, “they’ve nailed Rick’s voice completely.” I probably read every other line out loud in my (decent) Rick impression.

3. Edwin Gomez
    Posted August 31, 2018 at 7:56 AM | Permalink

I just bought the comic! Super stoked since it is the first non-starwars comic I have purchased. Looks great, sweet art. Quick and witty banter. Givin’ me all that D&D nostalgia as well. Can’t wait for the next one, does it come out next month? Is… is that how this works?

4. Lora Waring
    Posted August 31, 2018 at 8:27 AM | Permalink

Good for you! Enjoy :)

5. Alex Twigg
    Posted August 31, 2018 at 9:03 AM | Permalink

Just bought and read this over my lunch break. Rick feels very Rick like.

I hope you had fun in the process of making this!

How long did it take you to go and remove all the ‘then’s?

6. Chantelle Behrens
    Posted August 31, 2018 at 10:31 AM | Permalink

Picked up the comic yesterday and cannot WAIT to read it! Coincidentally just started a re-read of TWMF. Thanks for making good stuff and letting us read it, Pat. You’re the best. Someday I hope to thank you in person.

7. Jan
    Posted August 31, 2018 at 10:33 AM | Permalink

Thanks for letting us know about the comic :) Have a nice day!

8. Isaías Weber
    Posted August 31, 2018 at 11:52 AM | Permalink

Amazing stuff there Pat! I am glad to see you been having some fun :)

In moments like this the fact that I live in Brazil with a busy schedule and a low budget really stings. I really wish I could go to these events, wait hours in line and get your autograph – maybe even some words with you, with some luck.

I’ll keep the “one day” in mind.

This week I finished The Slow Regard of Silent Things, and to keep it simple, it was amazing.

The author notes reminded me a lot of a recent post you had here on your blog. I just wanted to say something about that. Regarding that beautiful message of yours, especially the “you are not alone out there”, it is right back at ya.

The very same goes for you and I hope you know that.

Enjoy the weekend!

Kind regards,

Isa

9. CancerKiller
    Posted August 31, 2018 at 12:30 PM | Permalink

Very cool Pat. I am very happy to see you are still creating and putting stuff out in the world. As a fan THANK YOU! Also thanks for the blog posts. Even small ones are great!

10. Karim
    Posted August 31, 2018 at 3:29 PM | Permalink

Reckon they’ll collect these in an issue later? For those of us living in countries without comic book stores.

• Posted September 1, 2018 at 2:47 PM | Permalink

They absolutely will. But I don’t know how long it will be before that comes out. Probably not until next year, I’m guessing.

• Karim
        Posted September 2, 2018 at 3:54 AM | Permalink

Despite the impression a loud minority creates, I suspect most of your fanbase is good at waiting, haha. Thanks for the reply!

I wanted to add: My friend read the first issued and praised it highly. I’m looking forward to it.

11. Posted August 31, 2018 at 3:32 PM | Permalink

I’m glad your charity even is supporting Seattle Children’s Hospital. Good on ya!

12. Ashlyn Hendrickson
    Posted August 31, 2018 at 6:32 PM | Permalink

I’ll be at the Foo Fighters concert across town! I got to meet you at PAX PRIME back when it was still called that. I fangirled so hard I could hardly speak! I’m embarrassed to admit I started weeping after I left the theater. You were just so kind and patient. I know it sounds kinda silly but thank you for doing book signings. Your works mean a lot to a lot of people and I’m so happy and excited for all the people who get to meet you this weekend.

13. Keerjo
    Posted August 31, 2018 at 11:51 PM | Permalink

Woohoo! Loving the return on the blog. Enjoy the PNW and being a wizard for the weekend.

14. Posted September 1, 2018 at 12:35 AM | Permalink

Hey Pat,
    I just had to ask… your D&D Rick and Morty pick inspired it… Do the kingkiller characters have D&D character stat sheets??? I’d be intrigued to see how characters compare like Elodin & Kvothe, Chronicler and Bast, Felurian and Cinder. You don’t just things like this lying about do you?
    Sincerely, with a nerdy snort chuckle,
    Jahmaya

• Posted September 1, 2018 at 2:49 PM | Permalink

Nope. Stuff from my world doesn’t fit very well into the d20 system, I’m afraid….

15. Autoantonym
    Posted September 1, 2018 at 1:52 AM | Permalink

I thought this was a surprisingly excellent issue. I only say “surprisingly” because I didn’t expect much from a two-property mashup. It did a great job of serving two masters. Thought the George RR Martin pastiche was a lot of fun.

• Posted September 1, 2018 at 2:50 PM | Permalink

Hmmm… I’m glad you enjoyed that. However, in the sake of honesty, we didn’t put one into the comic.

16. Posted September 1, 2018 at 4:39 AM | Permalink

So… I was at the Top of the World event with some friends. It was fun! Not too crowded. Great food.

I saw you a few times and had a couple opportunities to maybe say hello or something without interrupting you in a game or some other activity. Or maybe invite you to a game. But i felt weird about it. I mean, do people normally just walk up and start talking to other people? I know who you are but you don’t know who I am and i was awkward so… I didn’t. I kinda wish I had now. So I’ll just say it here!

Thanks for being a cool dude and using your fame and position to help out. Thanks for putting your creative talent out there for people to enjoy. Thanks for your blogs and FB posts, you don’t owe anyone anything but it’s cool that you connect with people. I appreciate your work both on and off the page.

Maybe next time I run into you at some event I won’t be too shy to invite you to the table. 😊 Have fun at PAX!

17. Kris Henderson
    Posted September 1, 2018 at 9:17 AM | Permalink

I wouldn’t say that being able to Rick is worrying. Didn’t you do chemical engineering at Uni? All Arcanists are a little cracked after all.

Thanks for writing some Rick and Morty. I look forward to it.

18. Mike
    Posted September 1, 2018 at 10:28 AM | Permalink

Happy that you are back on the blog. Loved that you endorsed Astro City a while back.

My wife and I love your material and I’ve been getting all my family and friends to check your books out.

Mike from Boston

19. Posted September 1, 2018 at 8:42 PM | Permalink

The Rick and Morty stuff looks awesome. I’ll have to check it out when I’m back in the land of comic book stores. Thanks for the update on what’s going on Pat. Congrats on getting something out in the world!

Have fun at PAX. I hope I see you at something like that some day. For now I will watch the youtube re-runs.

20. Jarka
    Posted September 2, 2018 at 2:37 AM | Permalink

Hi Pat, i was wondering if you are planning any Afternoons with Pat in Europe? It would be great to be able to listen to your wise words in real!
    Greetings from Prague, Jarka

21. Jaime
    Posted September 2, 2018 at 6:23 AM | Permalink

1. Congrats on the comic!
    2. The alternate cover is beyond awesome

22. Lucy
    Posted September 3, 2018 at 6:21 AM | Permalink

My D&D group’s been on hiatus all summer, can’t wait to get started again in a couple of weeks!

23. Isa Weber
    Posted September 3, 2018 at 7:20 AM | Permalink

Amazing stuff there Pat! I am glad to see you have been having some fun :)

In moments like this, the fact that I live all the way down to Brazil with a busy schedule and a tight budget really stings at me. Wish I could go to these conventions, wouldn’t even mind waiting in line for long hours. I’d get your autograph, maybe get some inspiration to make a quirky remark, let you know in person just how much I love your books.

I’ll keep the ‘one day I will’ close to my chest.

On a different note, I recently (last week) finished The Slow Regard of Silent Things. I found it nothing but amazing. Original, different, creative, intriguing.

But what I really wanted to say something about was the author’s notes. I’ll be quick: regarding that beautiful message of ‘you are not alone out there’, it is right back at ya. I hope you know that.

PS: Tried posting this on Friday, from my phone, but for some reason couldn’t.

Isaías

24. Jeremy
    Posted September 3, 2018 at 4:36 PM | Permalink

Found this on the day it came out and was super excited. It was a great, fun issue. I wish I had more background in D&D, but the nice thing is that I never felt lost while reading it. Can’t wait for the next issue!!

25. Entrerist
    Posted September 4, 2018 at 10:57 PM | Permalink

Have fun at PAX.

26. Posted September 5, 2018 at 9:04 PM | Permalink

I wanted to thank you so much for coming to Pax, for your talk on love and language and intent, attending the charity event, signing my D&D sheet (and giving me 12 inspiration points while my DM sighed and shook his head) and writing that beautiful note in my notebook about writing…and accepting Canadian Coffee Crisp bars.

It — all of it — was the highlight of my first ever Pax. Thank you for being such a special part of it.

27. Trevor
    Posted September 7, 2018 at 4:27 PM | Permalink

I hope you had fun up in Seattle! As far as being able to write in Rick’s voice, I always figured you and Dan Harmon would mesh on a lot of things. Anyways enjoy the rest of summer!

28. Guilherme Ferreira
    Posted September 7, 2018 at 7:38 PM | Permalink

Pat, why don’t you do like the chronicler and write each book a day? hahaha

29. AlaskanGOAT
    Posted September 9, 2018 at 3:29 AM | Permalink

Hey there pat I just had a question for you and was wondering if you could answer it either on here or in an email. On I think it was a playing cards box you were selling for kkc there was a man on the wall sort of like a plaque. The man has horns, and a large beard. He is the same man who can be seen in the leaves on the cover of the first addition of book for the name of the wind. There was a version of tinker tanner where a goat king is hiding under a tehlins robes.

Is the goat man on the cover lanre? If it’s a spoiler I understand

30. Sarah M
    Posted September 10, 2018 at 9:25 PM | Permalink

One of these days I will find out about a signing event in the PNW before it happens. I want so bad to get to meet you and get my books signed. Hope you had a blast while in Seattle. Much love to you and yours. Take care.

31. Chris
    Posted September 10, 2018 at 11:09 PM | Permalink

Could you not be a murder-hobo-wizard?

32. Diane Lockman
    Posted September 19, 2018 at 3:39 AM | Permalink

The comics are okay, but when do we get a new book?