A Thousand Stories in the Naked City…

Hey there everybody,

I wanted to give y’all a heads up that I’m going to be in New York… well… kinda right now.

I’m doing a bunch of things out here, most of them are at NYCC itself. That said, I also have a couple off-site events that people can come to even if they’re not attending the convention.

Let’s start with the non-ComicCon events, shall we?

• Friday the 5th at 2:30: Talking about Fantasy with R.A. Salvatore.

Tickets are available here. (Proceeds go to Worldbuilders.)

(It seems like the free tickets are all gone, but you can still buy priority seating tickets that come with signed copies of Salvatore’s new book, Timeless, and a signed book from me, too. Either a paperback or the fancy new 10th anniversary copy of Name of the Wind.)

• Saturday at 7:30-10:00: Travis McElroy and Friends.

It’s now official, folks. Travis and I are friends. No takebacks.

As you can see from the lineup in the picture there, I’m far from the coolest thing you’ll see at that show. And that’s not even the full lineup, which includes: Jean Grae, Paul & Storm, Holly Conrad, Jonathan Coulton, The Doubleclicks, Clint McElroy, Theresa McElroy, Adam Savage, Janet Varney, Ben Blacker, Quelle Chris, Brent Black, Sammus the Rapper, Courtney Enlow, Lucky Yates, Amy Dallen, Maureen Johnson, and Miles Luna….

You can grab tickets here.

• Events at NYCC:

October 4

3:00 PM – 5:00 PM: Autographing at Table 2 in Hall 1A Author Autographing Area
5:15 PM – 6:15 PM: An Evening with Patrick Rothfuss – Javits room 1A06

An Evening with Patrick Rothfuss, as many of you know, will include some storytelling followed by taking audience questions that will inevitably lead to endless digressions and possibly, if you’re lucky, some answers.

October 5

5:15 PM – 6:15 PM: Panel about Rick and Morty vs. Dungeons & Dragons! – Javitz center – Room 1A24

Jim Zub, Sarah Gaydos, and me (pat) talk about our work on the Rick and Morty Dungeons & Dragons crossover comic.

October 6

12:00 PM – 1:00 PM: Patrick Rothfuss Autographing at the Oni Press booth
1:30 PM – 2:30 PM: Geek Geek Revolution – Javitz center room 1A24
2:45 PM – 4:45 PM: Patrick Rothfuss Autographing at Table 2 in Hall 1A Author Autographing Area

If you’re at the convention, I’d love to see you at my panels and events. I’m always vaugely worried that when a convention brings me out and puts me in a big room to talk about things that nobody will show up.

So… yeah. Hope to be seeing a bunch of you soon…

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. By Pat33 Responses

1. Nick Peeples
    Posted October 3, 2018 at 2:26 PM | Permalink

Definitely jealous of all those yankees! Is there any chance portions of the above schedule will be streamed or recorded somewhere?

• Keith
      Posted October 8, 2018 at 1:05 PM | Permalink

The evenings with Patrick Rothfuss often end up on Youtube. I was skimming the comments to ask the same question because I was hoping this one would too, as an avid fan, I watch them for even tiny snippets into Temerant.

Like “When did Kvothe learn to bake?”

2. Julie Jablin
    Posted October 3, 2018 at 8:45 PM | Permalink

I’ll see you there!

3. Posted October 3, 2018 at 10:19 PM | Permalink

In retrospect, I’m really self-conscious of that initial exclamation point in the blog post.

• Posted October 3, 2018 at 10:26 PM | Permalink

Fixed it.

Oh ellipsis, nobody understands me like you do….

• Andrew
        Posted October 4, 2018 at 8:59 AM | Permalink

Ellipsis; ideal when you’re trying to make a point…

• Karim
        Posted October 4, 2018 at 9:52 AM | Permalink

The ellipsis makes it sound like you’re lingering on that “naked,” though.

4. Tighe Estes
    Posted October 3, 2018 at 10:53 PM | Permalink

So…updates on next book?

• Karim
      Posted October 4, 2018 at 9:59 AM | Permalink

Let me shield you from any well-meaning if impatient replies you’ll get from other fans:

Rothfuss is probably working on it, and he’s probably not happy with it yet. The last update we got (in January of 2017) had him say he’d just “disassembled” a chunk of it for revision. This handy compilation of updates on the book’s Wikia page should prove useful, I hope!

As a general rule, fans don’t ask Rothfuss about these things because he becomes…visibly agitated by it, and everyone’s just trying to be kind. The book’ll release eventually, I’m sure.

In the meantime, we can all hope that he’s happily spending time with his loved ones and working to make The Doors of Stone a worthy conclusion.

• LadyIsta
        Posted October 4, 2018 at 4:30 PM | Permalink

This is a most excellent reply. I give you my applause!

• Aoife Gallen
          Posted October 9, 2018 at 6:48 AM | Permalink

I too would like to applaud Karim for all her posts on this blog!!

_exclamation points meant wholeheartedly_

• Sergei
            Posted October 11, 2018 at 3:05 AM | Permalink

You can’t be sure in the Internet, but usually Karim is a male name :)

• Ric
        Posted October 5, 2018 at 8:25 AM | Permalink

Let’s just go ahead and say Pat has Trump derangement syndrome, unfortunately. Spends most of his time calling people racist on Twitter and spewing far left political points. Not much on the books, however. :\

• Karim
          Posted October 5, 2018 at 9:48 AM | Permalink

Alternatively, we could not. I don’t think it’s terribly polite to call people “deranged” on their blog. I think he has the right to be as angry or not angry at anything, or to write or not write about anything, as any other citizen of a republic.

In fact, he has far more reason to be angry about Trump—a callous, destructive man whose domestic policy is hurting millions and whose foreign policy will be felt for decades—than you do about a book.

(Even if, quite frankly, US foreign policy has always treated my life and the lives of all my loved ones as worthless because we’re in the Middle East, and if I sometimes wish that American citizens were empathetic even during “good” times. Even then, I don’t expect everyone to be conscientious and attentive all the time.)

• Stormy Davis
        Posted October 11, 2018 at 2:13 PM | Permalink

I really do miss those days when Pat was feeling freer and blogged more. You know after The Name of the Wind but before Wise Man’s Fear was delayed, when he updated the blog often with random things but often included how the writing was going. I may be painting them with a rosy glow but I definitely sold my bf on reading the first in the uncompleted series by telling him about the blog. How I felt the wait was nothing because I got a dose of Rothfuss’s writing so often the stories where so very humorous and fun.
        I have no greater point just wanted to say I miss it.

5. Milan
    Posted October 4, 2018 at 5:37 AM | Permalink

I wonder how it feels like to be vaugely worried ?

Have a good time in NY !

• Danny
      Posted October 4, 2018 at 6:25 AM | Permalink

Is that when you’re worried, but unsure what about?

6. Sara
    Posted October 4, 2018 at 5:42 AM | Permalink

Hey Pat,

I land in NYC on Sunday. Any chance you are still around after the con? The voices in my head say you will, but who can trust those shiters?

7. Jean-Christophe Desrosiers
    Posted October 4, 2018 at 9:13 AM | Permalink

Is there a planned way for those who are way too far away to assist to listen or watch some of those?
    I would dearly like to see or at least listen to that talk between you and salvatore… 2 of my favorite fantasy writters.
    Youtube video or a podcast?
    I really hope it’s something that will happen.
    Have fun in NY

8. michael vozzella
    Posted October 4, 2018 at 10:45 AM | Permalink

I must start by saying that I don’t participate in blogs or any social media, but I feel that I have to make an attempt to convey to you the impression your writing has made on me.
    My parents, especially my father, fostered a lifelong love of reading in me that began before I started school. My dad’s favorites, the works of Jules Verne, were my training wheel fantasy starter kit. They were followed by the Hobbit, and The Lord of The Rings immediately thereafter(my pick, and no training wheels) which I re-read as a preteen. I have always enjoyed all types of reading, but from Tolkien on, traditional fantasy has been the stick-to-the-ribs fare I always return to. My all time favorite was the Belgariad. Other authors and books who have deeply impressed me include(of course) Robert Jordan, who led me to Sanderson’s Stormlight Archive, Elizabeth Moon’s The Deeds of Paksenarrion, Jim Butcher’s Codex Alera series, and so many others that have left their own indelible mark on me. There is a long winded point that I am trying to make. From the very start of the Kingkiller chronicle, I knew that I had found one of the truly great Storytellers. The sadness you feel when finishing a loved book, that sometimes won’t allow you to easily consider your next, was so profound and sweet. I don’t wish to add one more stone’s weight of pressure upon you; I will wait patiently, and hope that the story’s end finds you naturally. If it does, I’m sure that when you tell it, it will end leaving me with a terrible and welcome melancholy. If the conclusion escapes you, the first books will still sit on my favorite bookshelf and be among the most recommended to any who take my suggestion.
    Your work, even unfinished, has real magic, strong enough to raise expectation and appreciation in any reader. Thank you for allowing me to sit at your fireside.

9. BrTM
    Posted October 4, 2018 at 11:50 AM | Permalink

I had no idea there were events outside comic con that were cool minus the expensive ticket!
    This is awesome!

10. Turmunkh Ganbaatar
    Posted October 4, 2018 at 12:25 PM | Permalink

Will these be recorded like Brandon Sanderson’s lectures?

11. Posted October 4, 2018 at 12:44 PM | Permalink

I am old.my life has been one of endless adventures. My memories are so very like the many rooms and tunnels of Auries world.she is like my spirit and I smile to realize that I understand her so well.I have found abandoned places and found treasures that would only have value to me, they remain in my quiet place to be looked at and smiled over . A room in an abandoned farmhouse found when I was was still young enough to see the wonder in a cracked blue perfume bottle still smelling of the traces of evening in Paris perfume.anempty birds egg found nestled in a parachute ov sweet wild violets in the shade of a giant oak tree.tthe feel of safety and warmth of a loving grandmother’s arms when all the rest of the world was frightening and hurtful. I learned to read sitting on her lap in the rocking chair before I was old enough sto start school. The cousins that have survived this life still hold a grudge against that because I was the only one she gave that life long treasure to. The family all had nicknames known only to us and grandmother named me “Needy” to this day the cousins still call me “Nead”.the places I have been, the people I have known, some loved, one or two I’ve come close to feeling hate that has passed with time, the three families I raised,and loved and that now love me back. These are the rooms that I visit just as Auri does in her under world. After I finished her story I wanted to rush out to my “studio” and tidy up my shelves and drawers and boxes of beads and shells and gemstones and pearls that I make my jewelry. With. She shamed me into needing to put them all in a perfect place of order and peacefulness. Thank you for giving me Auri, she dances through my thoughts and I like to think she is visiting the many rooms of memories I have and hopefully she will feel at home there.

12. Micheal
    Posted October 4, 2018 at 12:50 PM | Permalink

Will see you in an hour or so

13. Josh
    Posted October 4, 2018 at 9:07 PM | Permalink

I have really missed you pat talking about your favorite books and also recent books that you enjoy. Even something like “ I like this book” would be great. Loved to hear what you’ve been reading.

• Alyssa
      Posted October 10, 2018 at 8:04 AM | Permalink

Hi Josh! If you get a Goodreads account and follow him… you will receive notifications about books he’s read and you can read the reviews he writes! They’re usually really great reviews and I’ve read many books based off his recommendations!

14. Kirsty Mc Loughlin
    Posted October 5, 2018 at 4:37 PM | Permalink

Hey Pat

Will you ever be coming to Ireland? It would be incredible to meet you or hear you speak, even on a panel. Hope you are doing well!

Kirsty (new reader/new fan)

15. curtis stapp
    Posted October 5, 2018 at 4:52 PM | Permalink

Jealous I can’t be there. Love ya Pat.

16. Madison Hayes
    Posted October 6, 2018 at 12:58 AM | Permalink

Hey Pat!

Long time reader of your blog and your works. I’m not gonna go in to how your books changed my life, just wanted to drop a comment saying that you’ve got this and I believe in you.

Just in case you needed a tiny boost today. <3

• Karim
      Posted October 7, 2018 at 2:18 AM | Permalink

This is so endearing.

17. Janet
    Posted October 7, 2018 at 6:36 AM | Permalink

Attended the talk on Friday afternoon. Not attending Comic Con, so one of the few who paid the entrance fee. Definitely worth it and glad that some portion of the proceeds are going to Worldbuilders. It was cool to see you in person, especially while the other big stuff was going on in Congress. Provided an appreciated and needed counterbalance to the day’s events. No wonder you were feeling…contrary! Interesting discussion.

18. Tyler Hildebran
    Posted October 10, 2018 at 8:08 AM | Permalink

During that panelwith R.A. Salvatore, you said you had rules made for sympathy in the champion system, and, as somebody who’s been working on building rules for sympathy in about 5 different systems, I would be SO thankful if you would share those rules. Sympathy is one of the biggest things keeping me and my friends from roleplaying in Temerant. If you’re interrsted in the rules I’ve come up with, I’m happy to share, but I’m sure they’re not anywhere near as in depth.

19. Emmy
    Posted October 15, 2018 at 6:33 PM | Permalink

Any chance you’ll be at the San Diego Comic Con in 2019?